Review of Zia Cucina

Zia Cucina
Ranked #24 of 318 Restaurants in Waterbury
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Home made pastas, steaks, seafood.
Reviewed May 27, 2011

Zia Cucina is the number one Italian restaurant in Waterbury and probably Connecticut, in my book. I should know, I have been to many restaurants in many cities. I enjoy a good meal at San Marino as my standby, but nothing in Waterbury, especially up in Town Plot, compares to this little gem of a restaurant. Excellent food, great selection and portions along with great service, never rushed. I even like the location.... a neighborhood of contrast and a little on the edge, right out of the movies. A couple more things; great wine selection and an array of Italian desserts.
You ever go out to a restaurant with someone else after having several good experiences there on your own, only to have bad service or a meal that went wrong.......this will not happen at Zia!

Reviewed February 20, 2011

Yes, the restaurant is nicely decorated, the menu has a nice variety and the wait staff is very good-------that's where it ends for us. We were not allowed to order appetizers first as we wanted to take a bit more time with our entree decisions. We were told that SHE (Marianne) wants the order all at once!!! Our reservations were for 5:30 as we had tickets to a show at the Palace and did not want to be late. Ok, we put our order in all at once as instructed!!!!

Bread arrived with olive oil and a cece bean side. A person in our party asked Robert (owner) for butter and was told that it was an Italian restaurant and they did not serve butter with the bread!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Our waitress then came by and we asked her for butter, She kind of looked at us like she knew it would be a problem, but said she would go and check. She then came back and told us Marianne (the other owner/chef) said "no". I told her to let Marianne know she would never see us again. A few minutes later, our waitress came back with a dish with some butter cubes in it and told us to hide it. "Hide it"!!! Are you kidding Me???

When the food came 2 people ordered dishes with shrimp. The odor coming from the plate was not good and the shrimp was mushy. We took them in a to go box. When we got out of the show, the smell in the car was terrible. We tossed it when we got home.

We had 5 people in our party and the bill was over $300 with only a few drinks and 2 desserts.

There are too many good and very accomodating restaurants in Waterbury and there is no need to ever step foot in this establishment again!

5  Thank sundawn013
Reviewed October 25, 2010

The restaurant had a beautiufl atmosphere atmosphere and while the food was good it was nothing special. The prices were a little high verses other well nown restaurnat sin the area.
The parking was not a problem

My real problem was the wait time. we arrived at 6:50PM and did not leave until 9:00PM we had to wait an hour before we received our salad and while we received our dinner shortly after the salad, this was way too long to wait. We were really hungry

they were short handed and our waitress had a large party across from us and gave all her attention to that party.

honestly does it take an hour to get a salad - she could have at least offered us a free drink because we had to wait so long. she kept saying, your salad will be here, it will be here but did not come for a long time

This is too bad becuase we were looking for a new downtown restaurant this was not to be the case.

2  Thank baby144
Reviewed September 1, 2010

We met in Waterbury as a midpoint, and picked Zia Cucina based on its description and pictures. It was a fabulous dinner! The atmosphere is warm with lots of great prints on the walls, the service was excellent with full explanations of the menu items and of the options to make changes (aka very accommodating) and the food we ordered (3 appetizers plus two entrees) was top notch. Fried artichoke hearts were my favorite, stuffed meatball was his. I had short ribs with polenta, which were enough for two additional meals, and were better than home-made in flavor and quality of beef. He had the seafood pasta dish, fra diavolo, which was a little spicier than he'd anticipated, but was very happy with quality of ingredients and flavors. A nice bottle of chianti rounded things out! We didn't have room for dessert, but coffee and a little port were a fine ending to the meal. They have a private parking lot so safety is not a concern, and it's easy to get there from the highway, being right off East Main Street. We will be back, for sure!

1  Thank ValiseIsPacked
Reviewed January 1, 2010

To compare dinning at Zia Cucina verses any NYC restaurant would be a mistake! The NYC restaurants don't even come close. Yes, its located in an edgy part of town, but that is where you always find the great food. It's safe! Besides, walk around NYC and you will always be in the edgy part of town. Once you walk into the restaurant you are pleasantly surprised at the style of the restaurant. Yes, you can sit next to a small fireplace recently added, if you get the right table. Just went there for dinner. Wine selection is alway great, had the apple salad followed by the Risotto Amatriciana with Scallops (hope I spelled it right?). Scallops and protions were huge. Finished it off with homemade rum cake, a recipe from a one time Waterbury landmark bakery and capuccino. Spoke with the owner chef, she is great. Since I grew up in Waterbury and have spent a working career which gets me into NYC a lot, we compared a few NYC restaraunts and kind of chuckled about their food. Zia Cucina even has a couple of recipes dating back from the old 1249 West restaurant, long time Waterbury landmark restaurant; now closed; it was back when Sinatra use to escape the NYC crowd and go to eat in Waterbury.
I am a regular guy when it comes to eating and know I will spend a few bucks when I go to Zia. However, the total, food, service and atmosphere make it great experience. There are 2-3 great Italian restaurants in Waterbury, but this one, overall, is tops on my list.

1  Thank WTBY1