“Nice hotel, parking and breakfast are extra”

Courtyard Waterbury Downtown
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Waterbury
Kansas City
“Nice hotel, parking and breakfast are extra”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2010

I really liked the staff at this hotel. Driving up to the front door took a little figuring out based on Waterbury traffic patterns. But the hotel had an up-scale feel to it, the front desk staff was friendly, and we had a view of the downtown area. It's within a block of restaurants, and a mile or two from the mall. The room was clean and the bed was very comfortable. I also like the oversized chair and coffee table near the window.

Caveats: breakfast is not included in the rate. The charge to park is $7 a day (unlimited in and out privileges.) There is an attendance on site so the cars are safe, but there are also no alternatives because street or lot parking is unavailable. I suspect the charge is to pay the attendant who was very friendly. The garage is not attached to be prepared to drop off luggage at the door, or haul it across the street and up an inclined driveway.

I'm curious about the pricing because the Holiday Inn Express directly across the street has a surface lot (free) and hot breakfast included for the same price. My husband chose Marriott to accumulate points, but I'm not sure we got more "value" for the money given the competition so close by.

Still - it was a nice hotel. We were up on the top level and our stay was pleasant.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank KCkidwriter
CourtyardWaterburyGM, Director of Sales at Courtyard Waterbury Downtown, responded to this review, December 14, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to comment on our hotel and I am happy to see that you enjoyed your stay. The parking garage adjacent to the hotel is owned by the city of Waterbury and only maintained by the hotel and that is why there is charge for parking. I do understand the inconvenience it makes when you have luggage during arrival and departure from the hotel. We at the Courtyard by Marriott Downtown Waterbury take your comments seriously and we are working on ways to improve our customers stay based on the parking situation. Please feel free to contact me with any suggestions you may have at the number listed below.

Best Regards,
(203) 805-1486

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Annapolis, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2010

Pay for parking? Not the safest area. No restaurant. Bar was suspect. No place to buy a newspaper. Room was ok but worried about car.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment about our hotel. I am sorry to see that you did not enjoy your stay as much, because you were worried about your car. I understand how frustrating that can be. The parking garage adjacent ot the hotel is owned by the City of Waterbury and only maintained by the hotel. The city currently requires a fee to park in the garage area. However we do have a garage attendent onsite 24 hours a day to have a hotel presence in that area. Our hotel does have a wonderful bistro which is opened for breakfast Monday- Friday from 6AM- 9AM on Saturday from 7AM-11AM and on Sunday from 7AM-12PM. We also serve dinner Monday-Saturday form 5PM-10PM. If you happened to check in during a time when our restaurant is closed we do have a 24 hour marketplace where you can grab a quick bite. Since our hotel is located downtown, we are just minutes away from some of the best restaurants in town. I am opened to any suggestions you may have on how we can farther enhance our guest’s experience, please feel free to contact me with any suggestions on my direct line.

(203) 805-1486
Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2010

Hotel was very clean and the people were super friendly.
Would absolutely stay here again in the future.
The Brass City Brew Fest takes place right down the street @ Library Park.
Only a five minute walk.
Also recommend The Turf which is a bar in the area. The owners are real nice
people and they have lots of great beers on tap.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to comment on our hotel. I am happy to see that you enjoyed your stay. I must agree with you that the Turf is a really nice bar and I love the fact that we have so many different restaurants for our guest to choose from, that are all within walking distance of the hotel. Thank you once again for taking the time to leave a comment.

United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2010

This is a typical Courtyard hotel. There is an attached parking garage, which has a fee of $7 for 24 hours (at least I think that is the charge). The hotel was clean, and the room seemed fairly new. However, the toilet was continually running after flushing and I had to remove the lid twice to get it to stop. Also, there is some traffic noise from the street that was distracting. The breakfast buffet was decent, and was only $5 more than the lower rate available. The hotel was directly off the highway, which was convenient. There were not many restaurants in the area. The front desk staff was nice (enough). All in all, no major problems other than the toilet and some traffic noise.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
I completely understand how important it is to have a quiet and comfortable hotel to stay in while you are on the road. I would like to take the time to apologize for any inconvenience that the running toilet and traffic noise may have caused during your stay. It is difficult to control the traffic noise due to the hotel being located in the center of town, where it can be quite busy during times. The hotel does have maintenance staff on property that are available to assist with any mechanical problems with the room. Here at the Courtyard by Marriott, Downtown Waterbury, we take pride in providing excellent customer service to all of our guests. This includes having staff available to attend to your needs at all times. We like for our guests to feel at home. I would to thank you for taking the time to comment on our hotel, for all feedback is welcomed!

Saint James, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2010

This Marriott charges you and additional fee to park. The garage is maintained by the city of Waterbury but is guarded by a Marriott employee. I checked into the hotel, parked my car and went into my room to shower. In less than 3 hours after checking in and parking my car, I went back to the parking garage to find my passenger side window smashed and my GPS stolen. This happened at 4:00 in the afternoon with a security guard no less than 20 yards away. Marriott refused to take any responsibility or compensate me for my loss, not even comp me the room. There response was, " unfortunately this happens all the time in our garage". DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL, unless you get there using mass transit and not your car!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
I am very alarmed to hear about your experience at our hotel. The City of Waterbury has a garage adjacent to the hotel available for guests to park their vehicles. This garage is owned and the prices are managed by the City of Waterbury. Through the agreement with the City of Waterbury, in order to have the garage available for our guests, we have to utilize one of our staff members to work in the garage booth. Otherwise, due to the location, our guests would have to utilize street parking. As a hotel, this was not acceptable to us. The response that you received was very unacceptable. This is not a circumstance that is reoccurring. It is actually quite rare. It is true that the garage is not owned by the Courtyard by Marriott, therefore we are unable to assume any responsibility, but we still are truly sorry. These situations are unfortunate and we never like to hear our guests suffer from personal losses. Thank you for taking the time to comment on our hotel, for all feedback is welcomed!

Travelers are raving about these Waterbury hotels

NYC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2010

Hotel is right off I-84, so no getting lost, parking wasn't free, but included unlimited in and out privileges. Hotel must have been recently redone as everything inside appeared new. Rooms were large and comfortable, and breakfast buffet was especially good. Try Royal Buffet for dinner its a bargain.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
I am pleased to hear that you had a pleasant stay. We strive to make all our of guests feel at home. Our Customer Service Experts strive to may every guest experience, an experience to remember. I hope that if you happen to be in there area again, we will be offered the opportunity to make your experience even better than the last. Thank you so much for your comment.

Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2009

After reading some of the reviews of this hotel, I was a little skeptical of what I might find once I got there. It was the hotel recommended by the business I was coming to see so I went with it.
I was very pleasantly greeted at the front desk in the evening when I arrived. The room was on the 8th floor, very nicely laid out, clean and attractive.
I do not have any complaints about the hotel, service or staff; but a couple annoyances I will mention as to why I only gave an "average" rating.
1. The TV (nice, big flat panel) did not come in on most channels - was very "snowy"... disappointing as TV is one way I wind down in the evenings.
2. There was no full length mirror in the room - nice to have for business travel. (again, not a big deal, but would've been a nice touch).
3. Twice during my 4-day stay, my room "locked" me out. I'm not sure what happens, but the light on the lock is green, however, the door will not open. Each time I went all the way back down to the desk, they called maintenance immediately who met me at my door, and promptly opened it for me. Just a small annoyance after a long day away from home, but nothing that wasn't rectified ASAP.
4. The rate that my company got does not include breakfast and it's a bit pricey. It's yummy, and a very nice selection, but I think should be included for business travelers. Maybe that can be negotiated for future.
I would definitely recommend this hotel if youre in the area (not much to do if you're there for pleasure, but for business it's fine just fine and close to Route 8 and I-84). I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waterbury
Hampton Inn Waterbury
Comfort Inn Naugatuck
Comfort Inn Naugatuck
#1 of 2 in Naugatuck
Comfort Inn & Suites Conference Center

Been to Courtyard Waterbury Downtown? Share your experiences!