“Dingy”

Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Waterbury
Niceville, Florida
“Dingy”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

I wasn't expecting much when I booked here other than a solid, comfortable hotel. To the extent it was inexpensively priced I feel I got what I paid for. I rated it poor because of the appearance which is dingy from the exterior and the noise. I don't have great demands for hotels when I am not on vacation and this was just a short stay due to jet lag. But here lies the problem. This hotel was so noisy, I had to wear my noise-cancelling headphones to sleep through the night. There is some kind of musical bell tower that goes off every hour with a full tune that must play out for about 1-2 minutes. At one point it woke my husband and he asked, "What are you doing?" I answered, "It's not me, I think its a church or something." I still don't know what it was, but I know it goes off every hour. Then there is the road noise, ambulances, fire trucks. We even had a fire alarm go off while we were just settling into our room. I know it is not the hotels fault, and it did not affect my rating of course.
I see there are many good reviews for this hotel, and I am not sure why my experience was so different from the others. The front desk receptionist was very friendly and helpful. But I am sorry to say I personally would not stay here again if given the choice.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Majorabina
Courtyard-Waterbury, Director of Sales at Courtyard Waterbury Downtown, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Thank you for your review of our hotel. We apologize that you did not enjoy your stay completely with us. We appreciate your feedback, it can only help us improve. We hope that if you find yourself in the Waterbury area again, you would give us another chance.

Best Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Northborough, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Good solid place to stay. Everything you would expect from a Courtyard hotel.

Stayed here when I was caught in a snowstorm on my way back home. The lobby and common areas were modern and well maintained.

The front desk staff were pleasant and efficient.

The room itself was clean, well maintained but a little dated. Comfortable stay with a nice TV, comfortable bed and good reliable internet access.

Overall a nice experience and I would recommend staying here.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Miusa
Courtyard-Waterbury, Director of Sales at Courtyard Waterbury Downtown, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Dear Miusa,
Thank you for the hotel recommendation. We are please that you found our staff friendly and your accomodations comfortable. We hope to see you back in the future.

Cheshire, Connecticut
Reviewed December 26, 2012

I had not stayed here in years, mostly because I live in the area. Well, my house was being painted and I needed a night away from the fumes.

Since my last stay, the hotel has been renovated--not for the better. The lobby is confusing, with chairs scattered about seemingly helter skelter. Once we reached our room, things were not much better. There was no one "book" explaining services, such as housekeeping, room service, etc. There was a laminated menu in the room, but it was unclear if it was for the restaurant or room service. (Turns out it was for both.)

Like others, I found the hotel very noisy, and, like others, discovered ear plugs on the nightstand.

I have stayed in many a hotel located on the grounds of an airport, including London's Heathrow, and never heard so much a jet taking off. In my opinion, there is no reason for this much noise. If the hotel was renovated in 2008, as claimed, then more insulation could have been added.

Staff appeared to be untrained but eager to please.

A definite disappointment, Marriott.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank lovetotravel1018
Courtyard-Waterbury, Director of Sales at Courtyard Waterbury Downtown, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear lovetotravel1018,
Thank you for your feedback during your stay. I am disappointed that you did not find our hotel to meet your requirements for a pleasant stay. The hotel was recently renovated with a modern open lobby/lounge concept. We are also revamping to the new Bistro concept in the early part of 2013. We are located in downtown Waterbury and are prone to general city noise, ambulances, etc. We do our best to make our guest feel at home. We hope you in the area again and will stop in and give us another chance so we can prove to you why we are the number 1 rated hotel in Waterbury. Thank you again for your feedback.

Irondequoit, New York
Reviewed December 21, 2012

I booked this hotel blind through a room bidding service, have stayed here a few times through same service.

Rooms are large and clean, as is the hotel itself, with decent wifi connections and a good working area. Bed is comfortable, showers and amenities are fine. I did not hear any outside noise, even on the second floor, but wasn't on the highway side, and I'm not very sensitive to that anyway.

Ordered room service, this was the only problem. Whoever took my initial order dd not put it in, when I called 30 minutes later to check on it, I was told it was coming up, then I received a call shortly after that acknowledging that they did not have my order and were going to expedite it. They offered me a complimentary beverage for the inconvenience, but I passed. The food was OK, bun a little stale.

However, I believe it isn't the problems that should be concentrated on, but how well it is responded to, and the staff handled that ably.

Overall, a good place to stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank mclee19
Courtyard-Waterbury, Director of Sales at Courtyard Waterbury Downtown, responded to this review, December 22, 2012
Thank for your honest review of your stay. I am pleased our team was sincere in handling your room service corrections. Thank you for being a continuos loyal customer.

Best regards,
CT
Reviewed December 18, 2012

Easy to find, central to downtown, the room was comfortable, clean and met our expectations for a Courtyard. However, I wish I had read the other reviews about the highway noise before I made the reservation. Unfortunately, we were on the highway side and it was VERY loud and I got very little sleep. I have stayed at hotels right next to highways before, but this one was particularly busy with loud trucks and an ambulance or two. I would not stay here again unless they could guarantee a room on the other side of the building. It is too bad that the building doesn't have better soundproofing on the highway side because the hotel itself is rather nice.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank fire100
Courtyard-Waterbury, Director of Sales at Courtyard Waterbury Downtown, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Dear Fire100,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. We hope you get out to our property again. We do accept room location preferences and would be delighted to ensure you received your preferred location.

Happy Holidays!

Travelers are raving about these Waterbury hotels

Hubbardston, Massachusetts
Reviewed December 13, 2012

As is most of our Courtyard Marriots stays this was very pleasing. Comfortable rooms, hospitable staff and the food in the hotel restaurant was very good. The breakfast buffet was one of the best that I have been to. Outside noise would be the only complaint but it is next to a hospital and a highway so its to be expected.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Courtyard-Waterbury, Director of Sales at Courtyard Waterbury Downtown, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Dear Popseven,
Thank you for your review of your stay at the Waterbury Courtyard by Marriott. We are glad you enjoy the plush breakfast buffet, comfortable rooms and our wonderful staff. We hope to see you back again soon.

Campinas, SP
Reviewed December 8, 2012

I have been in this hotel twice both reason due to business travel. It´s located in Waterbury downtown, next to Brass Mill Mall.
Room is nice, good shower and at front desk you can pick some stuffs to eat and drink.
Nice choice.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Courtyard-Waterbury, Director of Sales at Courtyard Waterbury Downtown, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Dear Decio C,

Thank you for continuously choosing the Waterbury Courtyard for your business travel needs. We hope to host you again in the future.

Best Regards,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waterbury
Hampton Inn Waterbury
Comfort Inn Naugatuck
Comfort Inn Naugatuck
#1 of 2 in Naugatuck
Comfort Inn & Suites Conference Center

Been to Courtyard Waterbury Downtown? Share your experiences!