“Excellent hotel”

Courtyard Waterbury Downtown
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Waterbury
Reviewed July 11, 2011

Our corporate travel agency booked this hotel for us. The hotel is downtown, and seems to be within convenient driving distance to everything, but there is not much within walking distance. This section of downtown looks a bit dreary and iffy, but we never had any issues. It is one block away from a hospital - in past years there has been a lot of sirens throughout the night. Either they've changed their policy to go silent when they get close to the hospital, or there weren't many emergencies the week we were there. Either way, it was not a problem.

The staff is very friendly and helpful, I have nothing bad to say about anyone who worked there. Check in and out went very smoothly, and our room was serviced every day. Everyone was smiling and offering to help.

The lobby in general is very spacious, but full of comfy chairs that invite conversational groups. Great when you're waiting on someone to join you downstairs, or after dinner. There's a big, sunken area that is probably supposed to be part of the bar (the actual bar is in the restaurant area), but it's positioned in such a way that you don't feel like you're sitting in a bar. Plus you can sit in those comfy chairs and relax, chat, or wait on someone. The lobby is one of the very well-done things in this hotel.

My room (417) was designated as a handicapped room so it might be more spacious than others. It had a small sofa (I did not check to see if it made into a bed), along with a table and desk/work area. The work area was adequate and had plugs. There is a pull-out section in case you need more room. The bathroom was clean and the towels were several steps above the usual rough, white hotel fare. There was a reasonable amount of counter space in the bathroom. It had one feature that all hotels should implement - there was an electrical outlet right above each nightstand. Perfect for people who use their cell phone as an alarm clock. Kudos to them for such a simple, but very handy thing.

I think the only critical things I can say about the room are that in my room the TV was on the dresser to one side of the bed, causing my neck to be sore. The view is not much from any room - you either see the roof top of the ballrooms or the dingy downtown.

The bed was very comfortable. The air conditioning is standard hotel window unit, so it makes some noise, but I did not find it to be a problem. The room got properly cold so I could sleep, the curtains closed so it got dark. It had all the amenities you need - iron, ironing board, coffee maker, hair dryer. There was not a refrigerator or microwave in my room.

We only ate in the restaurant for breakfast, but I was very happy with the buffet offered. It had the usual bacon, eggs, pancakes, etc., but it also had real oatmeal in a crock, with raisins and other toppings available. So nice for someone trying to eat healthy. There was actually a very large selection of hot and cold items available, although not a lot of fruit. I think the whole buffet is $12.95, but on several mornings I just had several bowls of either oatmeal or cereal, and was only charged $2.39. Can't beat that.

There is a little "market" next to the front desk for small snacks, drugs, and even microwave meals. There is a microwave there you can use. It's open 24 hours.

The hotel wireless is free, and I didn't have any problems getting connected on the 4th floor. There are 2 elevators, so you never have to wait long for one. When idle, one is always on the lobby level. The fitness room is well-equipped with 2 treadmills, elliptical machine, stationary bike, resistance weight station, and free weights. There is also a pool but I did not visit it.

Parking is available in the garage next to the hotel. You can't get there without going outside (if it's raining or snowing), but it is very convenient, free, and there was plenty of room.

Overall I would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Get a room on the side away from the hospital.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
Courtyard-Waterbury, Senior Sales Manager at Courtyard Waterbury Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to be so detailed regarding your visit with us in Waterbury. We are very pleased to hear your stay was very positive. We truly appreciate your recommendation for future guest. We will definetly let our team know a job well done!

There are newer reviews for Courtyard Waterbury Downtown

Reviewed June 14, 2011

Waterbury is not the prettiest place to visit but we were in town for an event. The hotel seems to be situated in the downtown area which means you can probably walk everywhere but I don't know that I would recommend doing that. We were about 10mts from the Villa Rosa.
The employees at the hotel were very nice and accomodating. There is free coffee in the lobby and a tiny little shop for snacks and toiletries. The pictures online make this shop look huge - it is not.
Parking is free in a nearby municipal lot and is about 30 steps from the front door of the hotel. The room was decorated very nicely and had an iron, coffee maker, hairdryer, etc. The only thing it was missing was a long mirror but they said those were going up this week.
The breakfast was complimentary for us so we stayed. It had eggs, french toast, a waffle maker, bacon, cold cereals, yogurts, etc. I beleive it was $12 if your stay didn't include it.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends

Thank you for your review on our hotel. We are excited to be adding full length mirrors to all of our guest rooms. Thank you for choosing to stay with us while you were in town for your wedding.

Reviewed June 8, 2011

My family and I stayed here for the Rev 3 Quassy triathlon race weekend. The hotel was excellent. The rooms were clean and spacious. The staff was friendly and helpful. Parking was easy, abundant and convenient at the garage located adjacent to the hotel. Overall our stay was great and we would not hesitate to come back when we participate in these races in the upcoming years.

Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family

Thank you for staying with us while you were in town for the Rev 3 Quassy Triathlon. Our staff is excited to hear you had a wonderful stay. We hope to see you back next year!

Reviewed May 22, 2011

I stayed at this hotel for a one night business trip and was warned how bad the city of Waterbury was at night and be careful for my safety and that the location of the hotel was right in the center of it all. Keeping that in mind I arrived at the Courtyard not knowing what to expect. Overall I was very pleased with the hotel. I was greated by a friendly front desk clerk that checked me into my room and explained to me the highlights of the hotel. My room was on the 6th floor and was a standard king. The room looks to have been refreshed recently and it was a very comfortable room. Large TV, good work desk, comfortable bed. The shower and bathroom were fine.

One tip - there is alot of noise from police and ambulance throughout the night going down the streets. I was on the street side and I would ask for a back side room in the future, maybe it will cut down on the noise. With the noise all night it was hard to sleep.

There is a restaurant/bar on site as well as a 24 hour mart that offers drinks and snacks. The hotel also has an upscale Italian restaurant attached to it. I did not eat at both places but rather decided to venture out to a nearby shoping plaza that had some national restaurant chains. 2 min drive.

The parking was free (which must have changed recently since I had read it was $7 per night)at a garage next to the hotel. It is staffed with an attendent all night/day. Yes, there is a sign that does say take your GPS out of the car. I would do that at any parking lot.

I did not have any safety issues and never felt the "crime" that I was warned about, I did not go looking for it but arriving back to the hotel after dark, it was not a concern.

I will return to the hotel as I do business in the Waterbury market. The stay overall was good.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business

Thank you for your review. We are delighted that you found our hotel safe and relaxing. You are correct parking is now complimentary for our overnight guest. Just an added bonus to show how much we appreciate our guest. We hope to have you back on your next business trip!

Reviewed April 29, 2011

I have stayed at this Marriott Courtyard 4 or 5 times in the last 7 months. I am impressed every time I'm there. The staff is always friendly, the rooms are great, and the hotel bar staff are very nice.

Obviously the general area is "iffy" at best, but if you have a stay that is in the Waterbury area, it's a great option at a great value.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business

Thank you for being such a loyal customer. We appreciate being your first choice hotel in Waterbury. we will strive to continue to exceed your expectations on all futrue stays.

Best Regards.

Reviewed April 1, 2011

Spent several days with family members and business associates. Place is comfortable and accomodating. Staff at this venue gets the highest rating for friendliness and helpfullness.
Our meeting room was perfectly suited for the all day meetings, and the staff on the front desk were as accommodating as any Concierge anywhere.
Breakfast buffet is always excellent. Other meals are acceptable.
Lobby area is comfortable and lends itself well to casual meeting & greeting. Easy place to just sit and chat.
Safe and comfortable environment.

Room Tip: Rooms on the SW can be noisey especially early AM.
  • Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
Courtyard-Waterbury, Director of Sales at Courtyard Waterbury Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feed back and allowing us to serve you during your time in Waterbury. It is indeed our pleasure to have you as our guest. Our main goal is to ensure every one of our guests receives the utmost service being sourrounded in an environment of friendly and professional staff and your note made me feel confident that we did just that! . We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to our facility and once again, thank you for your busniness and for choosing us over the competition.

Tiffany Miles
Courtyard by Marriott Waterbury

Reviewed March 21, 2011

Experiencing the wisdom of others is something a human being can be greatful for the rest of his/her life. I met Heather at the front desk and is all I experience, her pleasant and captivating smile. She was patient and understandable, true tolerance shows real wisdom. Thank you Heather.

Sincerely
Carlos

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business

Thanks for taking the time to write a review on your experience at our hotel. I have shared your response with our front desk Agent Heather. We are very grateful and extremely fortunate to have such an amazing staff at our hotel.

Thank you again.

Tiffany Miles
Courtyard by Marriott

Also consider these accommodations in or near Waterbury
Hampton Inn Waterbury
Comfort Inn Naugatuck
#1 of 2 in Naugatuck
Comfort Suites Southington - Cheshire
Homewood Suites by Hilton Southington

Been to Courtyard Waterbury Downtown? Share your experiences!