“Great place to stay in Waterbury Conn.”

Hampton Inn Waterbury
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Waterbury
Reviewed August 20, 2011

This location is just off of I-84 and easy to get to. We checked in very late and were very pleased that the type of room we requested was waiting for us. The hotel is located in somewhat of a quiet residential area separate by trees and green space so it blends in nicely. We were also impressed with the iighting of the parking area and had no problems parking our car safely and walking through the parking lot to the hotel. The rooms were clean and comfortable. In the morning when we left, we had no problem finding gas stations, restaurants and stores close by. The hotel also provides a breakfast bar. We would have no problem recommending this location to friends and family.

Room Tip: For the AARP crowd, ask for the AARP rate...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed July 18, 2011

We selected this hotel because it is close to I-84. When we checked in, we were assigned to an even numbered room. A Trip Advisor entry recommended asking for an odd numbered room for less highway noise. The room was readily changed to the same type room I had reserved, and it was quiet. The room was clean and had a refrigerator and microwave. There was no comfortable chair, so we had to use the desk chair and bed to watch TV. My husband found limited hot water in the morning. The hotel has an indoor pool, exercise room, and a business center. Cookies were available around 5:30 pm.

There are very few eating establishments in the immediate area, but the front desk will provide directions to restaurants to which you can drive. The complimentary breakfast was typical and included hot items such as ham, eggs, and waffles. Seating was adequate.

Because of its location, we would consider staying here again.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank GardenGirl97
Reviewed July 9, 2011

We were traveling on rt 84 and needed a place to spend the night. The Hampton was clean and comfy with a friendly staff. Breakfast was good. We were happy that we stayed.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 28, 2011

I stayed here in June 2011 and found it to be okay. I've stayed at nicer Hampton Inns but also stayed at worse ones. The hotel is not near a lot of restaurants or other shopping areas, so as a person traveling alone for business, it may not be as enticing as another location.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed October 12, 2010

Everything went smoothly. Check-in and check-out were quick. I got a non-smoking room as requested, on the 4th floor, as requested. Room was very clean. There was some highway noise (we were in an even numbered room), but we live in a city, so the highway noise was nothing for us. I didn't notice any elevator noise. If the door wasn't dead-bolted it would sometimes shift when other doors were closed, but the dead-bolt successfully fixed that problem. The beds were very comfortable with a nice selection of pillows. Breakfast was good. We were surprised at how delicious the "bagel toppers" were. My only complaint was that the plates and cups were all styrofoam and the utensils were plastic. I would love to see them using eco-friendly products. The woman cleaning up the breakfast was very nice and made sure we had everything we needed before she cleaned it up (we were eating at the very end of breakfast: 10 AM). We thought the wireless was a little slow at times, but not too bad overall. The business center had a desktop PC and a printer, although I wasn't able to access the internet on the desktop computer (and I was in too much of a rush to seek help). I was able to print what I needed by using my jump drive (only on the rear USB of the desktop - it appeared that the front USBs were inactivated). The pool looked nice for a dip (not suitable for serious lap swimmers), but we didn't have time to actually use it. We also didn't see/have time to use the gym. Parking was free and the hotel is in a quite, safe area. The stairwells are clean and smell fresh. Compared to our other options for Waterbury, this was a great selection. Why all the hotels in Waterbury can get away with such high hotel prices, I have no idea. But if you must visit the area, I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 23, 2010

While traveling on business, this hotel was one of 3 recommended in the area. I was very disappointed, when I walked in to the room late in the evening after a very long day; I found that the bathroom cleanliness was unacceptable. I went to complain, the desk clerk said that they did not have anyone available at that time to clean the bathroom. She said I could speak to the manager the next day and when I asked for the manager around 9:00am the next morning, I was told “she’s not in yet.” I will never stay here again and I will suggest that my compliant take this hotel off their list of recommended hotels.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank david-1974-01
Reviewed September 20, 2010

I stayed in this hotel for 12 nights in September 2010.

I was aware from previous reviews of the small signage visible on Chase Parkway. I had also checked out the Google Street View; this gave me a good indication of what to expect on arrival.

There are actually 2 entrances on to the hotel grounds, so if you've just seen that you've driven past one entrance, you can be prepared for the next entrance.

There is larger signage that is, no doubt, highly visible from the interstate; however, I did not arrive in Waterbury by this main route.

Based again on what other reviewers had mentioned, I asked for an odd-numbered room (facing away from the interstate), in addition to always requesting a room away from the elevators.

I was allocated a room on the third floor.

The room location was OK; I left the window open (it opens to max. 6 inches) every evening; I did not notice any interstate noise at all - sometimes though, cars pulling up outside the reception with their (usually somewhat dubious!) choice of music at high volume.

On a note of possible noise, I noticed that when walking across the room floor, it seems to flex, as though you are walking on a sprung floor or floorboards.

This is more noticeable if someone is in the room immediately above; you can hear them walking about quite clearly. It's more noticeable in the middle of the night; indeed, a few times I awoke with a start, thinking that someone else was in my room, but it was just someone in the room above.

It may be an idea when reserving a room to ask for, perhaps, a room on the top floor (4th floor); that way you wouldn't get the noise through the ceiling.

I noticed that the elevators have a lot of beeping noises; to announce doors opening/closing, etc. I think that these sounds may be heard in the nearby rooms, in addition to the normal elevator machinery sounds.

The room facilities, already mentioned in previous reviews, are up to expected Hampton Inn standard.

TV in the room is the old CRT type, not flat screen or HD TV.

The internet access is available in the room, both wired and wireless; you DO have to ask Reception for an Ethernet/LAN cable - they're not already in the room.

My netbook has Wi-Fi 802.11n for fast access, but wireless in my room I could only get at 11 Mbps; when connected by cable, I got 100 Mbps.

The fridge in the room was OK for generally keeping things cool. However, the small freezer compartment (in my room anyway) was not up to the task, even at the highest setting; I put a box of ice-cream sandwiches here, and they were never solid - just cold mush!

However, putting the ice-cream sandwich into a cup, it DID make a very nice type of milk-shake!

The indoor swimming pool (unfortunately out of commission for 3 days during my stay for maintenance) was of medium size - max. depth of 5 feet. It was sufficient for my needs; to help wind down after a busy day.

I didn't use the gym, so cannot comment on that.

Breakfast Room - plenty of choice, although I tended to limit myself to the hot offerings; Cheese Omlet, Western Omlet (my favorite!), Breakfast Bagel (it looked more like a small breakfast pizza on a half-bagel base - they tasted best when fresh from the oven!), Sausage Gravy with Biscuit (what IS that, does anyone like that?); also bacon, sausage, ham, potato, etc.

There was also a waffle maker in the Breakfast Room; I tried it 3 times - firstly I sprayed the cooking spray onto the hotplates - My first try was OK, my second try, SOME of the waffle stuck to the hotplate, the third try, it REALLY stuck! Anyway, I ate each portion, regardless of what it looked like; and they all tasted very good!

Choice of coffee - Regular, Robust and De-Caff; I only drank the Robust - very good.
Choice of juice - Orange, Apple and Cranberry; I only drank the Orange - acceptable.

Some fresh fruit - Banana, Apple, etc.

Cereals and some other stuff . . .

On the last day of my stay, I asked for a later check-out (12 noon). This was agreed with Reception, no problem, at no extra cost.

All in all, I wouldn't say that my stay was 101% perfect, but I think that this hotel is most probably the best hotel in the Waterbury area.

I would definitely stay here again if I was visiting the area, and I recommend this hotel to you!

Note: I took 40 photos of the hotel and the grounds. If you want to view them, just drop me a message, and I'll send you a public link to view them online.

Recommended nearby:

Lena's Westside Deli - 250 yds from hotel.
Breakfast/Lunch/Coffee/Bagels/Muffins/Donuts, etc - eat in or take out.
Google them on the internet - view their menu online.

CVS Pharmacy - 3/4 mile from hotel.
For the essentials - View their weekly ad online.

WATR 1320-AM Radio - local news, talk, traffic, weather, and music.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
3  Thank fresch
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waterbury
Courtyard Waterbury Downtown
Comfort Inn Naugatuck
#1 of 2 in Naugatuck
Homewood Suites by Hilton Southington
Comfort Suites Southington - Cheshire

Been to Hampton Inn Waterbury? Share your experiences!