“A place I've been wanting to try”
Review of Aldo of Italy - CLOSED

Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Dining options: Dinner, Seating
Dining options: Dinner, Seating
Prospect, Connecticut
“A place I've been wanting to try”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Aldo's is a place I've been wanting to try for many years but just never got there - until recently! and i have to sau I was pleasantly surprised. My wife and I enjoyed a wonderful meal on quiet Sunday afternoon before a movie (there's a theater in the same plaza). My wife ordered broccoli & cavatelli with Chicken and I ordered a brick oven pizza. We both enjoyed our meal. Their wine selection, though small, is excellent. The prices are reasonable and the service was great. We'll definitely be back to Aldo's in the very near future,

• Visited January 2013

Watertown, Connecticut
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Pizza. Poor Service.”
Reviewed January 5, 2013

My husband and I were looking for a "new' place to go for pizza tonight and thought about Aldo's. Neither of us have been there in quite sometime....
Dinner started with drink orders - my husband ordered a glass of Cabernet. I told the waiter I would like the same. When he came back with our drinks, I was surprised to to a Sangria (in place of my glass of wine)...He did nothing to correct the mistake he had made with my drink and made no apology. Since I like Sangria, I chose to keep it and not make a big deal of it....
Our appetizer was 'ehhhh' but the pizza was great.
As far as service goes, it was extremely poor. Our waiter never once asked if we wanted refills on our drinks - the only time he checked on us was when we were almost done with the pizza. As far as the other staff, there was not one smile to be seen. It looked as if everyone hated to be there.
As we left, there was not one "goodbye" or 'thank you for coming" or "have a nice night." Really truly let down this evening.

If Aldos was in a better location and had staff that was friendly, attentive and inviting, this would be the place to go for pizza....

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank RestaurantRaiders
leonisavaca
“Surprising Pizza Spot”
Reviewed September 23, 2012

I visited this restraint Thursday evening with one of my sons. I avoid chain restaurants like the plague and enjoy trying new spots. I found Aldo's listed on Trip Advisor with good reviews so I thought lets try there!

There service was probably the best I have had in a long time. The waiter was on top of things, had fresh warm homemade bread on our table before menu's. Did I mention it was fresh warm homemade bread?

We ordered pizza for dinner so I cannot comment on their entree's. My barely out of teens son was treating for my birthday and he was I opted for lost cost because I didn't want to stretch his budget.

We did have a lovely appetizer of Brushetta with more delicious homemade bread, olive oil spices and fresh chopped tomato's. It was very good. Service again to refill our beverages without asking. Almost invisitble service in the best of ways!

Our large cheese pizza was a good size and leftovers went to another young son later that night. The crust and cheese were great quality. The sauce was not to my personal liking but my son liked it and it was good enough that I would eat again. I cannot figure out the spice it seems perhaps Basil and - only basil? I make sauce myself so of course it would be almost impossible to please me with exactly what I like.

The space inside was much larger than I thought. There is seating in the front window near the pick up counter and from the outside that is really misleading. We were allowed to sit wherever we wanted and selected a table in a smallish section to the left that had I think 7 or 8 tables spaced out. We could have walked in further and had a booth or table in the larger section. There were people seated in there.

The decor as another reviewer mentioned is Italian and out front by the counter there are many pictures and posters including of Marlon Brando as The Godfather that just have to make you smile.

I would recommend this spot for it's awesome service and tasty food. I am sure we will go back.

• Visited September 2012
Waterbury, Connecticut
“Great Pizza”
Reviewed August 21, 2012

I had a pizza from Aldo's last night for the first time. It was excellent. The crust was just right, not too thick or thin, and they were very generous with the meatball and pepperoni toppings.

Visited August 2012
Southbury, Connecticut
“It was right under my nose all this time!”
Reviewed August 1, 2012

How many times over the years have I been in this little plaza? The movie theater is one that I attend all the time. The Chinese buffet on the left beckons when funds (and expectations) are low. The Weight Watchers' Center...never been in there.

And so it was on Wednesday August 1 when I finally visited a restaurant that I had stepped over for years...Aldo's of Italy.

As you enter the front door, plan on instant intoxication by the incredible aromas of tomatoes, garlic, and the bread coming out of the oven. More about the bread later.

Enter the dining area- a compact but comfortable arrangement of tables and booths. The decidedly Italian décor is conservative and tasteful. The service bar is a focal point in the room with its ingeniously fashioned "pillars." The relaxing effect of their design is worth making sure that you are in a position to gaze upon them during dinner.

As for service, I'll grant that our young man had an advantage. It was a Wednesday night and there was only one other occupied table. Nonetheless, this young gentleman, possessed of an incredible degree of professionalism for his age group, and was courteous and efficient, especially considering that we were a group of five.

And now...that bread! Chewy, yeasty, doughy, warm from the oven; my word bank has been exhausted trying to describe this outstanding intro to the food at Aldo's. I meant to ask if were available for purchase/take-out. It was that good.

The entrées were great as well. I was shocked by the quality taste of my eggplant rollatini. Someone else at the table ordered a "small" pizza. It could have served two or three people, easily. My brother remarked that the shrimp in his Fra Diavlo were "fresh." For me, the true indicator of the quality of an Italian restaurant is their sauce since it is used in so many dishes. Aldo's is among the best I have had. Care and attention in the kitchen was evident since nobody's pasta dish had that annoying puddle of tomato water at the bottom. It was all simple food, but it was done so well!

It was a Wednesday and a quick family get together so I can't report on appetizers and desserts, but I am confident that they are of the same calibre as the entrées. I am equally confident that none of us walked away hungry.

Four entrées, one "small" pizza, two soft drinks, tax and tip came to $89.

This was a great discovery. I will be back, soon!

Aldo's...thanks for a great meal.

• Visited August 2012