“I don't know anything about Turkish food, but I know great food”

Sultan's Turkish Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 313 Restaurants in Waterbury
Cuisines: Turkish
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Hartford, Connecticut
“I don't know anything about Turkish food, but I know great food”
Reviewed January 31, 2013

I have very little experience with Turkish food. I stopped in here after a long and stressful meeting for lunch after spotting the restaurant from the highway. My expectations were low, but I was really impressed. The bread was warm, fresh and flavorful, always a good sign. My lamb kabobs were very tender and extremely flavorful. The salad was excellent. If it had not been the middle of the day, I would have tried desert. There appears to be a wide range of options for all courses, but this was enough for lunch.

• Visited January 2013

New York City, New York
“Very good Turkish food right on an I-84 entrance ramp!”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Sultan's is a surprising find, given the location. It is on the entrance ramp (westbound) for I-84 in Waterbury at the Scott Road exit. In a building that used to be a chain restaurant, Sultan's is anything but. It is decorated with Ottoman and Turkish touches in an open and pretty spacious dining room. It is divided from the kitchen by Turkish cloth and rugs and a partial wall. You will certainly be offered the traditional glass of Turkish tea, usually by the owner, a Turk who worked for a cruise ship company for years and knows about hospitality. The menu is extensive. Many of the items are the same as I have eaten in Turkey while a few others seem toned down for the local palate. But not too much...

This is very good Turkish food, from the simple kebab to more complex mezzes. They will put together tasting combinations so you can try hot or cold appetizers. Very nice place for families and yet a little bit upscale. On Saturday nights, the owner told me, they have belly dancing. Have not been there for that but maybe some day.... The prices are reasonable and the atmosphere just different enough to make it fun. Virtually anything on the menu can be made to go, as well.

It would be fun to have Sultan's cater a party, I think, if you wanted something that was different, delicious. mostly nutritious and followed a theme. Eating there makes me want to go back to Turkey!

CT
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Our favorite place”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Sultans Turkish Restaurant is a small place and unassuming on the outside especially because of the location right next to the Rt. 84 highway, but it has quickly become our favorite place to eat out. It is comfortable enough for families with children but exotic and fancy enough for a couple's night out. We have been coming here since it was called Anatolia Restaurant by the previous owners and the new management has really improved the decor and ambiance. The food is terrific and, though the prices have gone up since the remodeling, we find that we can often divide an entree and by adding a small plate of mixed appetizers make a fine meal of it, even for the three of us. We love the lamb shish kebab and only wish we knew how to marinate lamb to make it that delicious and tender. It is served with rice, bulgur and garnish of "salad" which is mostly shaved onion and carrot with lemon. They have a small or large mixed cold appetizer plate that comes with a big basket of warm Turkish bread and gives choices of six different appetizers. Our favorites are the baba gannoush (a roasted eggplant and tahini dip) and also the spicy antep esme (kind of like a Turkish salsa) They are quite accomodating and will let you double up on your favorites if you don't want six different appetizers and have let us make substitutions due to allergies. Of course we have to end the meal with their delicious Baklava!

magicbullet058
“Unique”
Reviewed December 6, 2012

A Turkish place in the middle of Connecticut. Not too many of them do exists.
What is unique is the flavoring, something divine, incredible addicting. If you want to experience the the byzantine spices that come from the Far East, you need to go no farther than Waterbury.
Start with the cold appetizer combo. What is in there, only the they know. But sublime it is. Cant get enough of it. The bread is warm and with sesame covered. What a treat.
We often take one of the specials to discover something new. The kebabs are great but I love their lamb and fish dishes more. Never am I able to eat dessert: I am always too full.
It is a top ethnic restaurant in CT, or an embassy to another wonderful world.
Enjoy

“Excellent service !”
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Love trying new food. Pickier husband loves it there! Been there many times. We are so impressed with the service; feels like a 5 star restaurant. Food is good. Excellent bread. Love the tea presentation. Belly dancing on Saturdays. Love this place! Will be bringing friends soon. Hoping more people will discover Sultans.