CoCo Key Water Resort Hotel & Convention Center - Waterbury
More attraction details
Owner description: 280 Room Water Resort, Hotel, and Convention Center conveniently located off I-84 in Waterbury, CT. In addition to the hotel, we have Connecticut's only indoor water park with 55,000 square feet of fun. For the business minded, we have over 40,000 square feet of flexible meeting and banquet space and can host functions up to 650 people.
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage
Reviewed March 2, 2009

Went with husband and two kids 1 and 4. The park is very small you need about 3 hours at the most. There is really nothing there, one large water area, a small lazy river, a pool and a large hot tub that all the adults were crammed into. The water in the playscape is cold at first and even worse after the hot tub. The park is very clean so clean that my eyes were burning from the chlorine and my arms got a weird rash...first aid people had no idea what it was told me to go shower off. Pizza Hut is there and is nice to eat by the playscape. The bathrooms are large but has only 4 showers..the lockers are so small that we needed two of them...$5 each. arcade upstairs is ok to waste more time and money.
We live about 35 min away and thought it would be a good day thing to do but i doubt we'll be back its just not worth the money $40 each. Might try Bostons they are bigger.

Reviewed February 23, 2009

My husband, 7yo daugther, and I went to the Waterbury Coco Key this weekend. I found it to be a great experience. The park was clean, the staff friendly and lifeguards attentive. It was all reasonably priced and my daughter had a ball. Best of all, not a long trip from home (1 hour 45 minutes).

Inside the hotel, the rooms were nice and as per usual with Holiday Inn, kids eat free when with their parents. Again, I found the staff to be accommodating. Thanks to Chris, the General Manager for the hospitality.

All in all we had a good experience. I would say that this was very good for families with kids 12 and under. Older kids might not have enough to do. Also, do bring your own beach towels. Although the park offers them and they are clean and plentiful, they are tiny!

Reviewed January 25, 2009

We arrived for the 10:00 AM opening of the water park as the website had listed. To our surprise, as well as another couple, the water park opens at 10:00 AM for hotel guests only. For others, it's 11:00 AM. The other couple pitched a stink and we were all let in at 10:00 AM. Once inside, it seemed very nice. Towels are provided at no cost, so you do not have to bring your own. You can get as many as you wish. We quickly got a locker as the go fast. Your proof of purchase is a bracelet you have to wear on your arm. That bracelet is also your locker key. It has a chip inside. We thought that was pretty cool because that eliminated the need for carrying around a key. They provide cubby holes for holding stuff if you can't get a locker. The temperature in the park was cold. For a winter day outside, the air inside should have been warmer. We weren't the only people in there complaining about the cooler temperature in there. There's not a lot of seating or chairs. The bathrooms were absolutely disgusting. Dirty and stinky. We used the (1) family bathroom as soon as we got in and it smelled and the trash wasn't emptied from the previous day. My wife took our son and daughter in the women's bathroom and had to leave because one of the toilets overflowed and toilet water was all over the floor. They had to close the women's bathroom down for a while. We found using the hotel's bathroom was cleaner. The food selection is pretty lousy. It's Pizza Hut/A&W Root Beer restaurant. Now, for me, Pizza Hut was not a big deal, but I can understand why my wife was complaining. They only had pizza and hamburgers, hot dogs, chicken fingers. No salads, etc.. Only one stand, so the lines get long and it takes a while to get your food after placing your order. We wanted to get ice cream but some of the flavors they had listed on the menu were not available because the machine wasn't working or they didn't have the flavor. The amount of people they allow in there is not accommodating. There's not enough seating, room in the water areas, etc.. It just gets packed.

We recommend getting a room especially if you have little ones. It's nice to have a room to go back to and relax, eat lunch, etc. in the room and then go back later to the water park.

One of the problems is that last year, we went to Six Flags Great Escape Indoor Water Park in Lake George, NY and loved it. We really loved that place and we were comparing Coco Key a lot to there.

PROS: Only 20 minutes from our house. Kids seemed to have an okay time. A place to wear a bathing suit when it's 20 degrees outside. Water park area was clean.

CONS: Small, bathrooms dirty, not enough food selections or stands. Not enough seating, lockers, room in the water areas. Kind of pricey. $$$

All in all, we have to go back at least one more time because we received day passes as a gift for Christmas. Other than that, we wouldn't go back to Coco Key. We'd take a 2 to 3 hour drive back to Six Flags Great Escape Lodge.

We stayed for 5 hours and had enough.

1  Thank Todd0237
Reviewed January 20, 2009

Our family (my wife and I and our four kids, ages 7, 4, 3 and 9 months) returned yesterday from a holiday weekend stay at the Holiday Inn/Coco Key Water Resort in Waterbury, CT. Overall, I would say that I was pretty satisfied with the experience.

We got off to a bad start when we checked into our room at the Holiday Inn to find that it had not been made up by the staff. The beds were unmade, the floor was not vacuumed and the bathroom hadn't been restocked. We called the front desk and they were very apologetic. To their credit, they sent two girls to our room right away to make it up, and also immediately knocked $84 off the price of our stay ($75 plus $9 tax) as part of Holiday Inn's Customer Satisfaction Guarantee. I really appreciated that.

Otherwise, the hotel was quite nice, especially for a Holiday Inn. The room had a modern flat screen TV for the kids and a terrace facing the indoor "outdoor" plaza of the hotel. The room was also slightly larger than the average hotel room. The beds were large and very comfortable, there were many amenities in the bathroom and the linens, carpeting and towels were clean. There was also a Starbucks in the hotel, very handy if you need a big coffee first thing in the morning (as we did).

The hotel price included unlimited access to the attached Coco Key Water Resort. It can best be described an an extremely large enclosed water park, complete with inner tube wave rides, many water slides, a large inside/outside inner tube ride that is four stories tall and a large hot tub area. The entire area is cheerful and well-lit and it was very cool to see snow-covered trees outside the window while we were in bathing suits and cavorting in pools inside. There are also two food stands in Coco Key and a video arcade on the upper level. It was fairly standard fare as water parks go, but our kids absolutely loved it. They had a ball and all wanted to come back again for another visit.

Overall, I was very pleased with my experience at the Holiday Inn and at Coco Key. The staffs at both places were very courteous, polite and helpful and the hotel itself is very nice for a Holiday Inn. It is also an inexpensive stay - our two day/two night package was about $210, everything included, and that was before they knocked off the $84.

I recommend this resort very much.