“Litchfield hills retreat”

Grace Mayflower Inn and Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Washington
“Litchfield hills retreat”
Reviewed September 16, 2009

It was a pleasure staying at the Mayflower Inn for 2 days in July . After hearing much about this highly ranked property, I was was anticipating a letdown of sort. Not so.............
The place is off the beaten path but really close to alot. The room was quiet, neat and the bathroom was great. The help was great but never even visable or in the way. They seem to know the job and just provide a superior experience. we especially loved the spa. One of the best we have ever been too. so relaxing and calm.
We hope we can visit again when we can afford this super treatment.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank sck1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
New York, NY
Reviewed September 14, 2009

The Mayflower Inn is a total sham. Do not waste your time and money. My fiance and I were planning for a May 2010 wedding and John, their General Manager worked at a snails pace and dropped the ball on our event by taking 3 weeks to review changes to the contract. He then decided "he had a feeling" and did not want to move forward with our wedding. All after wasting 2 months of our time, bravo -

The Mayflower is unreasonable (they wanted to charge us $16 per drink at the wedding), unprofessional and didn't even return phone calls to explain the above. They are a dinosaur venue (albeit with a pretty garden and nice spa), food is mediocre at best and rooms are beyond expensive for the price ($550 per night?). You are better off going to The Homestead Inn for a true luxury weekend. Avoid at all costs!

Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
6 Thank NewYorkChic
Mount Kisco, NY
Reviewed August 20, 2009

I'm not sure what all the complaining is about.... My husband sent me there as an anniversary/birthday gift. Although it was a surprise, Mayflower contacted me before my husband told me and ruined it. : ( They did, however, say sorry and sent me a nice letter to my room and a dish of chocolate covered strawberries... All was forgiven (thank you Jamie)!

It was 3 days and 2 nights of pure bliss. Check in is at 3 but you can get there as early as you like and spend the day at the spa or pool just relaxing. I got there at 11:00 and they came and found me at 1:00 to tell me my room was done early and I could check in. Everyone knows you by name and addresses you by Mr. or Mrs. _______ when they see you. The attention is first rate!

Okay, so the rooms "look" a little dated but that is done on purpose. Everything is new and the bathrooms are beautiful. Yes, the walls are thin and you can here sounds of people walking around or talking (muffled). It's not that big of a deal. No cell phone or blackberry service, but I didn't care. I went there to get away from the world. They have laptops in the buildings for you to use if you need to. Okay, the staff is a bit young and don't really know what's going on. They don't know the answers to most questions and you also get different answers to the questions you ask depending on the person you talk with.

As for the spa, OMG, I wanted to live there!!! Just beautiful! I stayed in the Allerton building which is right next to the spa. So if you get a treatment and don't want to hike back to your room, or you would like to go back and forth to the spa to hang out, stay in the Allerton. While I was there, Kathy did the detox scrub and it was wonderful. Karen did the Mayflower massage and hurt! I would only go to her if you like a lot of pressure. At one point I told her it was too much and she had a bit of an attitude.

I was on an all inclusive plan so meals were included! You don't even have to stick to the spa menu if you don't want. The only time I switched was for breakfast and dessert. Have the Blueberry Pancakes with the Lemon zest in the morning. They are to die for and the warm chocolate cake for dessert is the best. There was even one day when I went to the spa for lunch and was not happy with the menu but Alyssa (loved her by the way) called the chef and asked if he could make me something else. Because he had to make me something special, the wait was about 20 min, but I was fine with that.

Check out was at 12:00 but you are free to stay all day and enjoy the spa, pool, or take classes. I eventually left at 4:00 and was sad to go! I love this place and can't wait to go back.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
4 Thank jpett814
Boston, Ma
Reviewed July 29, 2009

Nice place. Very pricey. The rooms are comfortable though they feel a little dated. There are no irons in the room and the in-house laundry service takes 24 hours. The walls are very thin and hallway noise is an issue. I hear the spa is beautiful but men are not allowed at most times so I couldn't experience it first hand. The food is just okay. I was surprised that the food was dull - I really expected first class food. The staff is pleasant but a little condescending.

The complete absence of any cell phone signal is a major setback for most people - especially those travelling on business. The wifi is available throughout the property but is not robust enough to have our entire group of 35 using it at the same time. This just isn't a good place to have a business meeting.

I was hoping for more. I was thinking of this business trip as a recon mission for future romantic getaway but I doubt I would bother coming back here.

Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
3 Thank PeterScott1
jacksonville,fl
Reviewed July 27, 2009

This was our second stay in two months, and we can't wait to come back. The Inn and Spa are top class, and comparable in quality to the Post Ranch Inn in Big Sur and Blackberry Farm in Tennessee. The staff is young, friendly, and very helpful. The Assistant General Manager Ben was especially attentive to insure making the most of
our stay.

The Spa is beautiful. Classes are small and the food is amazing. Hard to believe the chef can get so much great flavor with so few calories. The staff tailors classes to your level of difficulty.

The grounds of the Inn are the most beautiful of any hotel property we have ever visited. There are many weeping trees and bushes and large Japanese maples. Sitting ouside on the hotel deck at lunch or dinner is most enjoyable.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank elef7
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 2, 2009

We stayed for New Years Eve. Dinner was fantastic. We enjoyed the dancing and fabulous service. Spa is beautiful and relaxing. The rooms are lovely.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Price
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
2 Thank Happytravelinfamily
new york
Reviewed August 19, 2008

My husband sent me and a friend to the Mayflower for a relaxing weekend. The Spa (which you can generally only use if you stay at the Inn) was everything I would have hoped for and more. It is gorgeous, relaxing, and professional. I can't rave about it enough. The Inn, on the other hand, was a little different for me. It is a typical high-class inn with antiques and art everywhere. But it feels very 'stuffy', and has a very rich, older crowd. It looks completely different from the meditative, simple spa. The chintz on the linens and window treatments was a bit too much for me. The rooms are super-comfortable (although the towels were scratchy, which I thought was strange), complete with soft linens, comfortable bed, flat screen TVs, fresh flowers,and a gas fireplace. My bathroom had a lovely tub, but the shower wasn't very attractive. It's definitely a top rated Inn for a reason, very comfortable with great service, but the decor and atmosphere was just not for me.
Unfortunately, i did NOT like the food at all. I frequently dine in top NYC restaurants, so I am very picky about my food. I had high expectations, because of the feel and price of the Mayflower. But everything was just...bland. The plates looked fancy enough, perhaps too much so. Sauces had no flavor, and the food was definitely under-seasoned. My friend's fish was beyond overcooked. The crowd in the dining room didn't seem to mind though. But my friend and I were not pleased. We ordered a cheese course for dessert, and the cheeses arrived stone cold. a big no-no. the 'dried fruit' on the plate were simply raisins, and did not look appetizing. The waiter also did not know which cheese was which. I'd say go for the Spa, enjoy your comfortable room, and eat elsewhere.

• Liked — The Spa
  • Disliked — the decor and snooty atmosphere
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
6 Thank sshacket
Also consider these accommodations in or near Washington
Homestead Inn
Hilton Garden Inn Danbury
Wyndham Southbury
Wyndham Southbury
#2 of 2 in Southbury

Been to Grace Mayflower Inn and Spa? Share your experiences!