“New England Luxury”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Washington
jacksonville,fl
“New England Luxury”
Reviewed July 27, 2009

This was our second stay in two months, and we can't wait to come back. The Inn and Spa are top class, and comparable in quality to the Post Ranch Inn in Big Sur and Blackberry Farm in Tennessee. The staff is young, friendly, and very helpful. The Assistant General Manager Ben was especially attentive to insure making the most of
our stay.

The Spa is beautiful. Classes are small and the food is amazing. Hard to believe the chef can get so much great flavor with so few calories. The staff tailors classes to your level of difficulty.

The grounds of the Inn are the most beautiful of any hotel property we have ever visited. There are many weeping trees and bushes and large Japanese maples. Sitting ouside on the hotel deck at lunch or dinner is most enjoyable.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank elef7

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 2, 2009

We stayed for New Years Eve. Dinner was fantastic. We enjoyed the dancing and fabulous service. Spa is beautiful and relaxing. The rooms are lovely.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Price
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Happytravelinfamily
new york
Reviewed August 19, 2008

My husband sent me and a friend to the Mayflower for a relaxing weekend. The Spa (which you can generally only use if you stay at the Inn) was everything I would have hoped for and more. It is gorgeous, relaxing, and professional. I can't rave about it enough. The Inn, on the other hand, was a little different for me. It is a typical high-class inn with antiques and art everywhere. But it feels very 'stuffy', and has a very rich, older crowd. It looks completely different from the meditative, simple spa. The chintz on the linens and window treatments was a bit too much for me. The rooms are super-comfortable (although the towels were scratchy, which I thought was strange), complete with soft linens, comfortable bed, flat screen TVs, fresh flowers,and a gas fireplace. My bathroom had a lovely tub, but the shower wasn't very attractive. It's definitely a top rated Inn for a reason, very comfortable with great service, but the decor and atmosphere was just not for me.
Unfortunately, i did NOT like the food at all. I frequently dine in top NYC restaurants, so I am very picky about my food. I had high expectations, because of the feel and price of the Mayflower. But everything was just...bland. The plates looked fancy enough, perhaps too much so. Sauces had no flavor, and the food was definitely under-seasoned. My friend's fish was beyond overcooked. The crowd in the dining room didn't seem to mind though. But my friend and I were not pleased. We ordered a cheese course for dessert, and the cheeses arrived stone cold. a big no-no. the 'dried fruit' on the plate were simply raisins, and did not look appetizing. The waiter also did not know which cheese was which. I'd say go for the Spa, enjoy your comfortable room, and eat elsewhere.

• Liked — The Spa
  • Disliked — the decor and snooty atmosphere
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
6 Thank sshacket
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 18, 2008

I booked a room and they up-graded me to a suite overlooking the Shakespeare Garden. The grounds are beautifully landscaped. The staff was very friendly, calling me by name from the first evening. The area around is very beautiful for a drive. The food and waitstaff are marvelous. Could not have been nicer, truly 5 star.

• Liked — Beautiful room with a wonderful view
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank webwiz99
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 9, 2008

My Husband & I have stayed @ the Mayflower a few times now & We have always really enjoyed this place. The last time we were was approx 8 months ago. In my opinion, The Mayflower is very elegant & it’s service has also, mostly been very gracious & thoughtful. They have nice little details like a small quiet library to curl up in as well as a larger reading room w/complimentary computer usage, magazine’s, newspapers, games & coffee table books. Wellington Galoshes, Raincoats & umbrella’s sit by the cottage’s Main Door, just in case you need to borrow on a wet day while antiquing, etc.....

The Main Restaurant is v. good but a little inconsistent. In our experience, some nights the food was outstanding & the next night it fell short (even the same dish). They have a young wait staff. Some of the wait staff have been there for years (sometimes coming off as a bit smug) & some were clearly too green & didn’t know exactly how to deal with the more exacting/demanding guests, who you can easily see, are extremely well-heeled.

The grounds are truly lovely & in spots, enchanting.

The rooms are sweet, sumptuous, lovely & nice sized with good amenities. The décor is Traditional, leaning toward the English Side & a bit grandma (BUT a chic, sybarite of a grandma! One who invested in a great Interior Decorator back in the day & hasn’t changed a thing since) so we did think it was time for an upgrade. Dark paneled bathrooms, Gold Fixtures, lots of peaches, chintzes, dark green carpets & a bit of lace. Our last stay, in Speedwell..Our mattress was tired too. It sagged pretty badly even after they removed the feather bed. We had to sleep in the center. The walls were also a bit thin. We FULLY heard our neighbors having sex so be aware (they were probably in our room previously hence the sagging mattress)!!

Anyway, I mention the above b’c the Mayflower Inn is pricey & after you see the magical beauty of the spa it feels so out of sync with the Inn’s Rooms!! Which then makes it seem a bit of a 2nd class citizen in need of some special attention.

The Spa was stunning. Magic. I pretty much spent all day most days there even when I wasn’t having treatments. The treatments themselves were good (I had 4 different ones), yet not excellent which is what I expected though. My husband felt the same. We took a nice complimentary Yoga class too as well as used the gym.

Here’s the thing to know; the spa is mainly for women during the week (they have special weeks where they allow couples & men). It’s ONLY open to INN GUESTS after 12pm (or something close to that) Fridays until close of play on Sunday. I thought the structure was very odd & a little mean esp. when my husband & I wanted to come up in the middle of the week & we were told he couldn’t use it until Friday when it was open to guests. However, I THINK I understand why they do it that way & it MAY have something to do w/keeping the spa intimate. The whole time I barely saw anybody even though I knew they were there. I did feel like I practically had the whole thing to myself & it was blissful. A GREAT thing that they do is if you buy a Spa Package – you can get however many treatments you want. Most Spa’s cap the # of treatments. Mayflower is the only one that doesn’t which is an extremely nice gesture considering the costs.

Although I don’t think it’s worthy of 5 star b’c we feel it’s a bit disjointed, it is still one of our preferred places to stay. I think if you’re looking for a tranquil or romantic escape in the New England area, I highly recommend Mayflower. There is plenty to do in the area but enough on the grounds itself so you never have to leave. There’s a sense of being coddled at the Mayflower. It’s like staying with that timeless, in-the-know-grandma I was talking about earlier ....she just has a way of making you feel special & warm.

• Liked — The Spa was gorgeous, The grounds, the porch & overall Charm.
  • Disliked — The Disjointed feeling between the Spa & the Inn.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank LAZ1609
new york new york
Reviewed April 1, 2008

This was our third visit to the Mayflower and it was wonderful. The Inn now has a wonderful spa and a few more rooms -- the increased facilities and size seem to have given management more focus. The spa is truly top of the line, designed for relaxation (less so than exercise). The spa space is gorgeous, well staffed and the treatments superb. However the spa is only available for spa guests during the week; inn guests can enjoy the spa on weekends.
The Inn itself continues to be comfortable luxury -- welcoming, not too fussy and the best beds ever. Every room is unique and has well thought out details. The food, which I had previously thought was not as good as it could have been, is improved and excellent. The bar has a more limited menu and is a more casual option than the dining room. Waitstaff are probably the weakest point, lacking a bit of polish and customer orientation. Overall, if I could splurge more often, this would be a top choice.

• Liked — spa, beds
  • Disliked — waitstaff
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank newyorker59
Connecticut
Reviewed March 30, 2008

OUr overnight at the Mayflower Inn and Spa far exceeded any hype we had heard from local citizens of Washington. Immediately upon arrival, a very enthusiastic hostess, Katie, showed us all the amenities, took us to our room and spent extra time showing all the nuances of this splendidly decorated chamber overlooking the Shakespeare gardens. We had a long workout in the Fitness area, together with a sauna. Later in the afternoon, we were treated to the Spa with its low key, but tasteful rooms overlooking a beautiful expanse of ponds, forest, and well manicured lawns. The massage rooms were sensitive, the massages were meticulously performed by pleasant, caring professionals. Hot herbal tea, excellent vegetables, and Fiji Water accompanied us to a heated pool and jacuzzi prior to our return to the Inn.
In the evening, John Ciliberto, the Maitre D and his staff took personal care of us with selection of a well-conceived menu and some fine wine. Both the dining room and the Tap Room are structured so that "service" is a watchword. The visitor to the Inn wants for nothing.
Both managers of the Inn and Spa made certain that we had everything at our disposal, and most importantly, the staff should be cited for their extraordinary courtesy. We loved our stay at the Inn and look forward to our next visit.

Stayed March 2008
3 Thank tedhistory
Also consider these accommodations in or near Washington
Litchfield Inn
#2 of 2 in Southbury
The Rocky River Inn
The Rocky River Inn
#2 of 3 in New Milford

Been to The Mayflower Grace? Share your experiences!