“New England Charm”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Washington
East Burke, Vermont
“New England Charm”
Reviewed December 4, 2013

We made a last minute reservation here (literally as we were driving through the area) and even brought our dog, and the Mayflower was very accommodating. The rooms are very spacious, and our bathroom was wonderful - I love the scent of the Mayflower moisturizer. The library with the fireplace was really beautiful - total New England charm. Next time I will plan ahead and stay for longer!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Westfield, New Jersey
Reviewed November 12, 2013

I was here in November for a relaxing pre-birthday celebration with my sisters and it was love at first sight. Even as I was driving up through the quaint town and the tail-end of the beautiful foliage, I could feel the relaxation taking hold.

The Mayflower Inn is beautifully set - lovely chateaus spread out over the beautifully landscaped property. Lovely trees, streams and gardens everywhere - even a labyrinth to explore. Since I was there in the fall, the outdoor pool was closed, but the putting green was still maintained and there was plenty of nature to take in.

I don't usually opt for New England charm, but it really enveloped me in luxurious coziness this trip. Everywhere I turned there was a comfy place to relax. I stayed in the Standish cottage and loved the fireplace, all the books and the plush bathrobes. And I always enjoy a nice balcony. These are rooms you'll want to spend some time in. The beds were also very comfortable. I loved sleeping here.

We never left the property. Food was great. Service, off the charts. Nothing is a bother. If you're a pain in the [--], you'll never be made aware of it here. Every single person I encountered enhanced my experience here. The atmosphere is wonderful.

I LOVED the spa. They have managed to weave serenity and pampering into every aspect of this place. I particularly enjoyed melting into one of their ridiculously comfortable chaise lounges and gazing out the enormous picture windows at the pond and foliage. Magazines, snacks and delicious teas everywhere being constantly replenished and tidied by a staff of ninjas that you'll never notice until the very second you need them. Lovely music and Red Flower products that make you and everything else smell like icelandic moonflower, whatever that is... I'm not a "perfume" person at all, but I loved the essential oil infused products that they used - they added to the clean and natural setting. I got the Mayflower massage from Renee and the Smooth as Silk Scrub from, was it Mary?? Both turned my brain to mush in the most delightful way.

I haven't had my fill of this place. It's a little out of my typical budget, but I'm definitely going to find a way to get back here!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Ann R
Port Washington, New York
Reviewed October 29, 2013 via mobile

Room was larger and very nicely furnished. The inn is well run with a professional staff. 4 stars because nothing to complain about. Not 5 because for these high prices it should've been perfect and it is not. Food good but not exceptional. Staff friendly but stiff. Breakfast served too late. Cold milk with lousy coffee etc. staff was pushing dinner at the hotel and was not all that helpful recommending other restaurants. For these prices plus CT 15% hotel tax we would not go back.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Uncle1111
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 23, 2013

We have just returned from a two night stay at the Inn and what a wonderful time we had! We were given a lovely room in the main building, even though we had "won" the trip in a charity auction (meaning the resort had donated the accommodations and weren't being compensated for our room). From the moment we checked in until the moment we left, we were blown away by the attentive staff and overall warm and relaxing environment the hotel provides.

We ate dinner in both the tap room and in the dining room and found both meals to be excellent. The spa, also, was quite lovely -- very clean with attentive service. We used the exercise equipment and took advantage of one of the complimentary fitness classes.

The grounds are beautiful -- there is a "poets" garden and also a Shakespeare garden and both are pleasant to stroll through. It's quite easy to drive over to various nearby villages for lunch, antiquing and other shopping or, if the weather is not cooperative, there are many nooks for curling up with a good book in front of the fire.

If you are looking for nightlife, this is not the place for you, but if you just want to relax and unwind in comfort, I cannot recommend the Mayflower Inn highly enough!!

DC-USA
Reviewed October 20, 2013

The Mayflower Inn is ideally situated in Eastern Connecticut. The property is expansive, beautiful and lovingly maintained. Our room was large and comfortable, and the dining was very good. The highlight for us was the Spa, which gave us the best overall spa experience that we've had among the many dozens we have experienced. Sadly, we were only there for one night. We wish we had booked more time there.

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed October 4, 2013

We visited Mayflower years ago and looked forward to our return. The intervening years seem to have had mixed impact on this beautiful property. The setting and the buildings are lovely and made for relaxing. The newish spa was fantastic and the services excellent. However, our room (in the attractive free-standing Allerton building) offered a wonderful view, but the carpet was frayed and extensively stained and upholstery was discolored and worn well beyond what is reasonable for a room of this price. Even worse, the construction of the building was so poor that we literally heard every single footstep taken by our upstairs neighbors. This should be corrected. About a third of the path lights leading to the main building were out making our post-dinner walk a bit perilous. Service in the main dining room was friendly and attentive though very young and not as polished was one might anticipate. We were also surprised to find the maitre'd dressed in casual shirt and slacks at a Saturday night dinner, appearing more like a day-time guest than an evening host. The dining room seems very ready for a makeover, and the tables, without even a sprig of rosemary to dress them up, seemed a bit woeful. The summer menu was still being served on this early Oct. night, which seemed, and was, out of season. Food was spotty. Some quite good, other dishes not so. Our experience dining in the bar was more successful than the main dining room. We understand the hotel was recently sold. We hope the new owners will be able to help Mayflower regain its former stature and its great potential.

4 Thank hoh_11
Bridgewater, Connecticut
Reviewed October 3, 2013

I’ve been to the Mayflower many, many times over the last twenty years: mostly to the bar, rarely to the restaurant and I’ve never stayed the night or used the spa. But that may change, as I think the Mayflower is changing in very big and very good ways because of its new general manager, Stuart Barwise.

My wife and I go the bar at the Mayflower mostly to enjoy the outstanding piano playing of David Grausman. The last time we were there, we met Stuart in the bar and talked for a long time. I can’t say just how impressed my wife and I were with everything that he brings to the Mayflower. The impression is best summed up in the fact that the man loves his job, loves to host people at his hotel, knows how to do it right and is genuinely bothered when something is not right. There is no simpler key to running a great hotel, or key to the problems the Mayflower currently suffers, so I have really great hopes that what’s great at the Mayflower already will be preserved, and the ways that it falls down will be fixed.

Business has taken me all over the world, mostly Southeast Asia and Europe, working on projects that help companies improve the ways they treat their customers. This work has made me (unfortunately) very sensitive to how I’m treated as a customer. I’ve lived 3 months at a stretch in a new hotel every night, every night a new customer. I’ve dealt with staff that shouted at me for arriving after their reservation deadline. I’ve dealt with staff that did a pretty good job of faking smiles and pretending they meant “happy to help you, sir” while looking for the fastest way to go on break. And I’ve dealt with staff that really enjoyed their jobs--I mean really enjoyed what they do—so they do it well down to every last detail. You come away looking forward to your next visit, relishing how well you were treated, playing certain details over in your head with admiration and delight. That hasn’t happened very often, but it happened at the Mayflower.

The current problems at the Mayflower (the flat food in the restaurant and the uneven staff—I agree with those reviews) won’t be solved overnight, but with a man like Stuart at the helm, I have complete faith that they will. The facility is magnificent, I hear the spa is magic, Dave’s piano is endlessly entertaining, and it’s nearby for us. In six months or so, I expect everything else will be in line with the best of the Mayflower, and I’ll post another review, whether for the best or not

Room Tip: The rooms at the Mayflower are all different. Though I've not stayed in any of them, I'd ask...