“Absolutely delightful”

Grace Mayflower Inn and Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Washington
Reviewed October 23, 2013

We have just returned from a two night stay at the Inn and what a wonderful time we had! We were given a lovely room in the main building, even though we had "won" the trip in a charity auction (meaning the resort had donated the accommodations and weren't being compensated for our room). From the moment we checked in until the moment we left, we were blown away by the attentive staff and overall warm and relaxing environment the hotel provides.

We ate dinner in both the tap room and in the dining room and found both meals to be excellent. The spa, also, was quite lovely -- very clean with attentive service. We used the exercise equipment and took advantage of one of the complimentary fitness classes.

The grounds are beautiful -- there is a "poets" garden and also a Shakespeare garden and both are pleasant to stroll through. It's quite easy to drive over to various nearby villages for lunch, antiquing and other shopping or, if the weather is not cooperative, there are many nooks for curling up with a good book in front of the fire.

If you are looking for nightlife, this is not the place for you, but if you just want to relax and unwind in comfort, I cannot recommend the Mayflower Inn highly enough!!

Reviewed October 20, 2013

The Mayflower Inn is ideally situated in Eastern Connecticut. The property is expansive, beautiful and lovingly maintained. Our room was large and comfortable, and the dining was very good. The highlight for us was the Spa, which gave us the best overall spa experience that we've had among the many dozens we have experienced. Sadly, we were only there for one night. We wish we had booked more time there.

Reviewed October 4, 2013

We visited Mayflower years ago and looked forward to our return. The intervening years seem to have had mixed impact on this beautiful property. The setting and the buildings are lovely and made for relaxing. The newish spa was fantastic and the services excellent. However, our room (in the attractive free-standing Allerton building) offered a wonderful view, but the carpet was frayed and extensively stained and upholstery was discolored and worn well beyond what is reasonable for a room of this price. Even worse, the construction of the building was so poor that we literally heard every single footstep taken by our upstairs neighbors. This should be corrected. About a third of the path lights leading to the main building were out making our post-dinner walk a bit perilous. Service in the main dining room was friendly and attentive though very young and not as polished was one might anticipate. We were also surprised to find the maitre'd dressed in casual shirt and slacks at a Saturday night dinner, appearing more like a day-time guest than an evening host. The dining room seems very ready for a makeover, and the tables, without even a sprig of rosemary to dress them up, seemed a bit woeful. The summer menu was still being served on this early Oct. night, which seemed, and was, out of season. Food was spotty. Some quite good, other dishes not so. Our experience dining in the bar was more successful than the main dining room. We understand the hotel was recently sold. We hope the new owners will be able to help Mayflower regain its former stature and its great potential.

4  Thank hoh_11
Reviewed October 3, 2013

I’ve been to the Mayflower many, many times over the last twenty years: mostly to the bar, rarely to the restaurant and I’ve never stayed the night or used the spa. But that may change, as I think the Mayflower is changing in very big and very good ways because of its new general manager, Stuart Barwise.

My wife and I go the bar at the Mayflower mostly to enjoy the outstanding piano playing of David Grausman. The last time we were there, we met Stuart in the bar and talked for a long time. I can’t say just how impressed my wife and I were with everything that he brings to the Mayflower. The impression is best summed up in the fact that the man loves his job, loves to host people at his hotel, knows how to do it right and is genuinely bothered when something is not right. There is no simpler key to running a great hotel, or key to the problems the Mayflower currently suffers, so I have really great hopes that what’s great at the Mayflower already will be preserved, and the ways that it falls down will be fixed.

Business has taken me all over the world, mostly Southeast Asia and Europe, working on projects that help companies improve the ways they treat their customers. This work has made me (unfortunately) very sensitive to how I’m treated as a customer. I’ve lived 3 months at a stretch in a new hotel every night, every night a new customer. I’ve dealt with staff that shouted at me for arriving after their reservation deadline. I’ve dealt with staff that did a pretty good job of faking smiles and pretending they meant “happy to help you, sir” while looking for the fastest way to go on break. And I’ve dealt with staff that really enjoyed their jobs--I mean really enjoyed what they do—so they do it well down to every last detail. You come away looking forward to your next visit, relishing how well you were treated, playing certain details over in your head with admiration and delight. That hasn’t happened very often, but it happened at the Mayflower.

The current problems at the Mayflower (the flat food in the restaurant and the uneven staff—I agree with those reviews) won’t be solved overnight, but with a man like Stuart at the helm, I have complete faith that they will. The facility is magnificent, I hear the spa is magic, Dave’s piano is endlessly entertaining, and it’s nearby for us. In six months or so, I expect everything else will be in line with the best of the Mayflower, and I’ll post another review, whether for the best or not

Room Tip: The rooms at the Mayflower are all different. Though I've not stayed in any of them, I'd ask...
1  Thank Strother P
Reviewed September 19, 2013

The location of the Mayflower cannot be surpassed - the grounds are quiet and beautifully landscaped and the inside well appointed. I agree with the other guests who commented on the cuisine. It was nothing special as one would expect from a top notch hotel, but the new owners have only been in residence for six weeks so they deserve some slack on that. I do think that the new owners should lower the menu prices until they find a new chef as they are too high for such low quality. The spa has a good selection of services and the staff are well trained and very pleasant. I'd like to return next year and see what improvements have transpired. One suggestion to the new management: the beds are comfortable, but the pillows start out plump and by morning are flat - the same is true of the pillow top. Perhaps it's time for fresh bedding. I will say that our room was spotless - including the bathroom. We appreciated the efforts of the housekeeping staff.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 2dtrav
Reviewed September 16, 2013

I thoroughly enjoyed my trip down to picturesque Washington, CT and especially to the Mayflower Inn & Spa. Knowing this hotel had such rave reviews, I was optimistic I would not be disappointed. Talk about a relaxing set up, it's like staying at a lovely English Manor. The spa is stunning and the treatment I had was the best spa treatment ever received. I look forward to returning to see how Mayflower Inn gets updated and transitions into another award-winning Grace Hotels property.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Lauren D
Reviewed September 15, 2013

We are locals and have been semi-regulars of The Mayflower for nearly 20 years. We hadn't been in quite sometime because the last several meals we had were dismal, to say the least. We were thrilled there are new owners, because the last two quote obviously didn't concentrate on providing quality food showcasing any culinary creativity whatsoever. So tonight we went very excited that the new owners had taken care of the lacluster dining experience of the last several years. We decided to have a drink before ordering dinner, and went to sit outside to enjoy the beautiful views from the porch on a beautiful day. We went to sit down at a table on the porch, but soon moved our party to the bar room after finding that the tables and chairs were dirty from the previous patrons (spilled food on the table top and crumbs on the chair cushions). After drinks, we ordered the "Puree of Summer Corn" soup for an appetizer which wasn't horrible, just incredibly bland and average. For our entree, we ordered the "Summer Harvest Composition
with Romesco sauce and Tempura Fava Bean Clusters", which translates to: "A few steamed vegetables on top of a small spoonful of red sauce with two BATTERED & DEEP FRIED pieces of indiscernible vegetables. Yes, I said battered and deep fried -- just like what you see for a chain restaurant commercial on television like The Red Lobster or Applebee's! And all of this for only $32.00 per-plate! Well, let's just say that after having dinner at the Mayflower, we actually stopped on the way home to pick up a pizza (and we're typically not fans of pizza, but needed to get something in our stomachs). I guess I'm just spoiled after having recently just come back from a stay at The Beverly Hills Hotel and a week of dining at The Polo Lounge. Anyone who is looking to understand what to offer dining guests, should check out their menu. I fully understand that when taking over any establishment, it takes time to implement changes / upgrades, BUT, it is so important to clean house as quickly as possible to let the public know you are serious about making changes, for the better. This should be first priority. So in a nutshell, new owners, same (bad) experience. Too bad...

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank LfldCtyConn
Stuart B, General Manager at Grace Mayflower Inn and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2013

Dear LfldCtyConn

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback. As a guest of the Mayflower of the last 20 years, we deeply value your comments and would like to reassure you that we are working hard on the new restaurant concept which will be a total departure from the existing format. This will take some time to perfect, and we will be officially rebranded as The Mayflower Grace in December. We fully accept responsibility for cleanliness and I will be addressing this personally with the team to ensure our high standards are consistent. I do hope that you will come back again in a few months, when we will have officially relaunched the restaurant as Muse by Jonathan Cartwright. We will be keen to showcase the new dining experience and menu to you and the many other loyal Mayflower guests who have also been enjoying the hotel for the past years. Please feel free to contact me directly and I look forward to greeting you personally.

Kind regards
Stuart Barwise

Also consider these accommodations in or near Washington
Homestead Inn
#2 of 2 in Southbury
Heritage Hotel
Heritage Hotel
#1 of 2 in Southbury

Been to Grace Mayflower Inn and Spa? Share your experiences!