“Nice place but beware of highway robbery on the prices”

Grace Mayflower Inn and Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Washington
New York City, New York
“Nice place but beware of highway robbery on the prices”
Reviewed May 3, 2013

My husband and I live in CT and wanted to find a quiet one night getaway. The Mayflower Inn seemed like the perfect place. We did manage to relax, have great massages and a good dinner but for an over a $2100 bill racked up in less than 24 hours (check in time 3 pm, check out 12 pm and late check out was denied), I have to conclude we could have done much better for that much money. The service was polite and attentive but the place is full of young servers. At dinner and at lunch we were handed each other's plate of food. When I finally got the waiter’s attention for a salt shaker, he forgot about it. The peaceful and quiet setting unfortunately is disturbed during the day with football games at a school adjacent to the property. Still, we knew all the costs for the $875 room, the $220 massage, the dinner, the wine upfront. What really put me over the edge and will prevent me from ever going back was the $86 room service cost for a tea, a double espresso ($20!!) and two $28 smoothies. They were very encouraging of us ordering breakfast in our room and it made sense in retrospect why. The rates are not published and so they pretty much get you on charging enormous amounts for every item, plus a mandatory tip AND a room service charge. Our $86 tea, coffee and smoothie meal was more than an entire lunch in their restaurant. A day after I got home, I decided to call the Mayflower and spoke to the front desk manager to explain how I thought the prices for the room service were exceptionally high. His response was 'excellent choice for the smoothies'. He did say that I could email my concerns to his manager. I told him that I had just spoke to him for about 10 minutes expressing my thoughts, good and bad about their Inn and that I would appreciate it if he could relay my comments to the manager himself and have the manager personally call me. He agreed to pass on my message. Its been 5 days now and I have not heard a single word from them. For a $2100 charge racked up in less than 24 hours, you would think they would at least respond to my concerns.
The bottom line, unless you have loads of money to waste at your disposal, there are much better places you could go for those prices where managers would be a lot more attentive and prices would not make you leave with a newly found stress of feeling robbed!

9 Thank mudita b

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Providence, Rhode Island
Reviewed April 27, 2013

Whoever said "there's no place like home" hasn't gone to the Mayflower Inn and spa in the heart of Lichtfield County CT. From the moment you arrive to when you depart the staff make you feel at home. The Inn is spread out over acres of manicured land with multiple activities and areas to enjoy. The state of the art spa is nothing more than spectacular. The room we enjoyed was in Allerton house a few steps from the spa and a 2 min walk to the main Inn where the taproom, dining room and enclosed porch await you. Cudos to the brothers from Greenwich who have restored a true 5 star gem and have put together a team including Travis, Sue, Ben and others to make your stay a real "home coming"

Room Tip: Ask for Allerton house. The rooms are superb and larger than the inn.
Greenwich, CT
Reviewed April 10, 2013

At the last minute we decided that we needed a getaway and why not try the "new" Mayflower Inn. We had visited twice in the past; the first experience was great and the second was not terrific at all.

We are proud to report that under new management (two years old), Mayflower is one of the most beautiful inns that we could ever expect. Old world elegance plus superior service equals and extremely pleasant experience. And, we were particularly thrilled to get an upgrade (without asking) to rooms 50-52, a suite to die for. The bed alone is worth seeing and true perfection!

But, the Spa, ahhh. The true stillness and quiet of the spa is simply amazing. A whisper is the loudest you will hear. The quality of the massages were A plus and this is coming from lots of experience at many other spas. This is the place to go for a truly sumptuous and romantic evening. You won't want to leave.

The dining area is quite romantic and the food is above average but the experience is delightful. Go for the room, the ambiance and, above all, the spa. I even bought my second "lamb" blanket to bring home again. The spa blankets are heavenly.

Room Tip: The lodge that is not in main lodge is best, rooms 50-52.
1 Thank Mary J
Ringwood, New Jersey
Reviewed March 5, 2013

What a lovely way to spend a weekend. As soon as we drove onto the property we felt more relaxed which is what this wonderful inn is all about. From the lavendar scented rooms, to the charming bar and the beautiful spa, this is a place to decompress.

This was our first time visiting the Mayflower Inn and while I had heard how great the spa was I wish I would have taken the praise a bit more seriously and spent more time with treatments, classes and relaxation. Next time I know.

We did not eat at the inn but we did enjoy wine at the bar and the staff was friendly, professional and polite. The same was true for everyone we came in contact with. The grounds were lovely even in winter and the room was very clean. Bath towels could be a bit higher quality but an easy fix.

We will be back!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank WhoWantsToGo
West New York, NJ
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Incredible service, nicely appointed rooms, quiet, reserved and an amazing spa. The food was good, not extraordinary. The spa was outstanding, restful and invigorating. We enjoyed the winter scene from the spa area, the atmosphere is just perfect for a great rest and get away.

Room Tip: We recommend the main house on the third floor. Quiet and great view of the back garden.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank potlowmi
Reviewed February 1, 2013

This was our third trip to the Mayflower and I certainly hope there will be many more. However, like most things in life, it wasn't perfect. Our room definitely needed redoing, the lighting in the sitting room was inadequate, the bathroom was old school (small tub and shower), and the food was only OK (do they have a new chef?). The staff was extremely nice and helpful and the spa was perfection. All in all we had a lovely time. Was it worth the $$$, probably not. Would I go again, in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a room or suite that has been refurbished recently.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank 14rocky14
Reviewed January 25, 2013

My husband and I have been going to the Mayflower for at least 15 years. We usually go in the Fall when the leaves start to change. Having added the spa makes the stay there even more phenomenal. I have also leave the hubby at home and enjoy quality time there with my girlfriends.
The accommodations include the main house and cottages. Each room is decorated differently with period antiques, reminiscent of Mario Buatta the "Prince of Chintz". The beds are lushish with soft delicious sheets, cushy pillows and a feather top mattress cover that is now on my bed at home.

The spa is kept impeccable. Before each treatment there is time to relax in a soothing room over looking the property. Services are top notch. Often you feel as if you are the only client there for they are extremely discreet. The spa manager Helen Brown is the sweetest and very knowledgable about nutrition. I must mention the cashmere slippers purchased in the boutique WOW

The staff are attentive and make each and every stay enjoyable. The manager of the restaurant has been there since we started going and always makes us feel special. Make sure you are prepared to be wined and dined in the charming restaurant overlooking the Shakespeare garden.

No, I do not own the Mayflower....... however I wish I did.

Thank you staff, I am already thinking of my next visit ........

Room Tip: Make sure you book a room with a fireplace. I prefer to stay in the cottages.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank luv2travel1231
Also consider these accommodations in or near Washington
Homestead Inn
Hilton Garden Inn Danbury
Wyndham Southbury
Wyndham Southbury
#2 of 2 in Southbury

Been to Grace Mayflower Inn and Spa? Share your experiences!