“After Sales Service Outstanding” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
The Dunloe
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Beaufort
Kilkenny, Ireland
“After Sales Service Outstanding”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2011

I stayed in Dunloe for a wedding in August 2011. I was given a room with a spectacular view and really enjoyed this aspect of the stay alone - fairy tale views.

I was badly hung over after the wedding and left a rather expensive suit behind. I live quite some distance away. After contacting the hotel - the Hotel Manager Jason Clifford personally went to housekeeping, retrieved my clothes and posted them back to me.

5 Stars for this Hotel, its management and after sales service

Room Tip: Get a room with a mountain view - preferably with horses cows etc!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
      Location
      Rooms
4 Thank Rory L
HDCManager_11, Manager at The Dunloe, responded to this review, October 10, 2011
Dear Rory L
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay. The views certainly are spectacular, whether overlooking the Gap of Dunloe or the gardens towards the banks of the River Laune, each of the bedrooms has been designed to offer fantastic views.

It was no trouble at all to ensure the safe return of your suit, I am glad that it was received safely and I hope that we can welcome you back again soon.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
  • Greek first
Co. Meath
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2011

Stayed two nights. Food and service in the Restaurant was good, Breakfast was very good. Bar was OK quiet but Mike the barman was very Friendly. ( we found a gem of a bar not far from the hotel called Beaufort Bar worth a visit) Rooms were very dissapointing in fact we went back to Reception after check in to ask if we could be moved but this was not possible due to a wedding the first night. Internet was available in rooms free of charge. The Room was very dated, Bedding was a mismatch and the room faced the rear of the hotel where a wedding was taking place so noise levels were high. We tried to speak with the Manager before our departure he said he would be with us in a few minutes but he did not return to the desk. Not to complain but to say that we did not think we got value for money. Seriously Lacking atmosphere and ambience. They mention Tripadvisor on checkout which compelled me to comment. This could well be an excellent wedding venue as some reviewers state but I dont think we will return.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
      Location
      Rooms
Dear DCU_7

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I very much appreciate guests sharing their comments after their stay and I am glad that you enjoyed the breakfast and our bar.

I can only apologise for what I think was a misunderstanding during your stay. When we first met at the desk on your departure I noticed that you were waiting to speak to a member of staff and whilst I was with another guest I did indeed promise that I would be back to you in just a moment. However, I did not realise that you were hoping to speak with me personally and on my return to the desk noticed that you were being taken care off by a member of my team and as such did not interrupt your conversation.

I am terribly sorry, had I realised that you would have like to speak with me personally I would have been more than happy to meet with you.

We appreciate your feedback on our bedrooms, which are designed in a classic style, and while individual tastes differ with decor we consistently receive positive feedback on the size and comfort of our bedrooms. However, we do constantly strive to improve of guests’ experience and as such the hotel has a planned refurbishment next year.

I hope that we might have an opportunity to welcome you back in the future, if you would like to contact me you can reach me directly by phone or email at the hotel.

Cork
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2011

We had our wedding at Hotel Dunloe Castle in June 2011 and it was wonderful from start to finish. Dunloe has the advantage of being a very plush and luxurious hotel, but with no sense of the stiffness that you get in many 5 star hotels. This is due to the fantastically warm and friendly staff who go out of their way to make you feel thoroughly at home. They are very experienced at weddings and provided a smooth and polished service. The planning phase was effortless for us, as it was clear from very early on that we were in good hands. We had a fabulous experience on the day itself, everything ran perfectly and there was a great sense of calm and relaxation. The function room was laid out beautifully, and having the dancefloor in the middle worked really well. Once the dancing had ended, we had a big sing song that went on until the early hours and there was no pressure on us to leave the function room. Our guests raved about the food, which was exquisite, as well as the breath-taking scenery to be viewed from every angle of the hotel. Those who stayed overnight were also delighted with the absolute luxury of their rooms. I can't wait to go back for more pampering for our anniversary! Thanks to everyone at Dunloe for making our wedding so special.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Ciaraom
HDCManager_11, Manager at The Dunloe, responded to this review, September 19, 2011
Dear Ciarom

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your wedding day with us and will be pleased to share your comments with the whole team here, our aim for each guest is to provide a truly fantastic experience and it is always a pleasure to know that guests have enjoyed their time at Hotel Dunloe Castle.

In particular I was glad to read your comments on our function room which was recently refurbished during the winter of 2009/2010. Our goal was to create a luxurious space for celebration where the entire party can be kept together with the central dancefloor and outdoor terrace which runs along the length of the room.

Thank you again for sharing your kind comments. We shall look forward to welcoming you back to celebrate your first anniversary.

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2011

I stayed at this hotel in mid august from a Thursday until a Sunday and it was bliss! It was busy with a mix of Tours, Individuals, Families and there Banqueting Suite had two weddings the time we were there.
As worked in hotels previously at 48 and 5* standards this is miles apart from others, its very distinctive in its continental feel and non hurry approach.
Staff were friendly experienced and over seen by a young dynamic General Manager called Jason. He is very personable, polite, professional and so efficient at what he does and at such a young age, he must have worked at some wonderful properties.
Food was excellent, especially on the A La Carte Menu, and Children were well catered for too with their own special menus.
Accommodation is continental feel about it and rooms are clean and well services. The Gym and Pool were lovely and the grounds spectacular especially their own horses on the grounds. Its a hotel where you feel safe, no rush as its spacious and luxurious.
I felt I had to write this comment as the previous negative comment below was unjustified! Keep up the good work to all at Dunloe Castle LOS, Dublin

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank lornaos
Dear Lornaos

Thank you for taking the time to share your review of Hotel Dunloe Castle and we very much appreciate your kind compliments. I am delighted that you have enjoyed your experiences with us and we certainly hope to welcome you back again soon.

Kildare, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2011

In July 2011 we had the pleasure of having our wedding in the Hotel Dunloe Castle, Killarney. The entire process was such an enjoyable experience, stress free from beginning till end, and was made possible not only by the entire staff of the hotel but, in particular by the manager Mr. Jason Clifford. From our very first meeting, to our heartfelt departure he was the epitome of composure, confidence and sophication. He was always honest, considerate and helpful when it came to finalising our day. No task was too small or too large and he was a pillar of pure professionalism at all times. The advice Jason gave us on various points highlighted his better judgement which can only come from experience and I cannot articulate how much we appreciate his expertise. His staff were equally as efficient and eager to help in whatever way possible.

From beginning the task of choosing a venue to host our wedding celebration appeared to be a difficult one, but in hindsight it turned out to be quite easy. As the Munster region, and Kerry in particular, has a well deserved reputation for being Ireland's premier wedding destination the responsibility of picking just one venue seemed daunting. However, as soon as we arrived in The Hotel Dunloe Castle we knew it was special. It exuded sophication, elegence and 5-star luxury. The scenery is spectacular and all our guests felt like they were in a tranquil paradise far from the hustle and bustle of busy city life. It's the perfect location to immerse yourself in the fabulous activities the hotel and the region has to provide, making you and your guests feel like celebrities.

Another major influencing factor for choosing Hotel Dunloe Castle was the high quality of the food. I can honestly say that we've never experiencing this standard and presentation of food at a wedding before. Every guest was completely satisfied and the wine complimented it to perfection. The unique evening food proved a hugh success also. 5 stars doesn't do it justice!!!!

The wedding day itself ran to schedule for the most part, but Jason had everything under control when things didn't go according to plan. There was no room for any 'Bridezilla' antics as the staff were completely diligent and hard-working. The staff made everyone feel so welcome and important that many ended up extending their stay or even made reservations for the future. A true testament to the level of luxury it provides.

Finally, a wedding in The Hotel Dunloe Castle is an exceptionally special thing. It's the whole package - the perfect location for photographs, mouth watering food, outstanding service and ultimate luxury. Once you experience a wedding here, I can honestly say, you will not want to go anywhere else.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
6 Thank shin01
Dear Shin01

Many thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. It was a pleasure to welcome you both and your families to celebrate your wedding with us here at Hotel Dunloe castle.

It is always lovely to hear that our brides and grooms along with their guests have enjoyed their day with us. In particular, it is wonderful to hear how much your guests enjoyed the food. Our kitchen team work very hard to ensure that the wedding banquets at Hotel Dunloe Castle are of the highest possible standard. I shall look forward to sharing your compliments with our team.

Thank you again for your kind comments and we hope to welcome you back to Hotel Dunloe Castle soon.

Wicklow, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2011

I stayed here with a friend over a weekend during the summer and we were both left sorely dissapointed. This is so far removed from a 5 star Hotel it is not even funny how they can advertise themselves as such. The Superior room we stayed was spacious with a good view of the Gap of Dunloe, however the TV looked like it was purchased in the 1970's and only had 3 channels, there was no mini bar, the decor was extremely tired and dated and in need of an urgent update. The Bar was lifeless with no atmosphere, while the restaurant staff had little knowledge of the menu, this was extremely dissapointing considering they were chargin as much as €36 per person for some of the main courses. The Hotel in general was dead and it seemed that the majority of the guests were down in the wedding hall for one of the endless weddings this place seems to churn out. In fact the general manager seemed to take pride in the fact that he had hosted over 40 weddings to date this year and 'Where would we be without them!?'. The Hotel is named as a Castle but there is not one feature of a Castle in the hotel, it just looks like a dated 4 star at best country hotel with 3 star standard service. The Leisure facilities were basic, with an ugly pool and a broken steam room and cold sauna, tiny gym with 4 treadmills and nothing else (5 star i dont think so!?). The staff were lifeless and at breakfast it seemed that none of them actually wanted to talk to any of the guests or help them in any way, the majority of the staff looked like they had no catering experience and wandered around the room aimlessly. I would reccomend you save your money and stay in a real 5 Star their sister property The Europe. This is Hotel is top class in every department while the Dunloe is a poor sister that is for sure. I think if they downgraded the hotel to a 4 star it would do the Hotel justice as advertising it as a 5 star is actually embarassing. Avoid the GM at all costs a difficult character to say the least, who seems completely intent on flodding the venue with a wedding every night if he could.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank Ross M
Dear Freqtravel1_11

Many thanks for taking the time to share your comments on Tripadvisor. I am sorry to hear that your visit to Hotel Dunloe Castle did not meet your expectations.

We appreciate your feedback on our bedrooms, which are designed in a classic style, and while individual tastes differ with decor we consistently receive positive feedback on the size and comfort of our bedrooms. We do however strive to improve the standards of our bedrooms and to this end more than half of our bedrooms now include flat screen televisions. We hope to have all of the televisions updated by the end of the 2011 season.

It is a pity to hear that you did not find the bar to your satisfaction. Our bar, which is located right beside our lobby and lounge is a cosy place and we have often been told by guests that they enjoy that the bar at the Dunloe does not feel like a ‘typical hotel bar’.

Our restaurant main courses start from €24.50 in the Oak Room and €14 in our Garden Café. I apologise that our staff were not able to answer all of your questions. Our staff are a very experienced team and at all times endeavour to make the guest experience an enjoyable one. I can assure you that your experience was not the experience that we try to provide for your guests and as you will see from our many reviews online the most regular feedback is very positive for our staff.

We apologise that on the occasion that you stayed the steam room was closed for maintenance. We believe however that our pool is one of the best features of the hotel. Renovated just last year the 25m pool with floor to ceiling windows on three sides offers views over the gardens to enjoy whilst relaxing poolside.

Weddings are an important part of our business however the majority of our business is individual guests travelling with friends or families. Also, as the banqueting suite is in a separate wing of the hotel guests attending wedding celebrations are offered a very private section whilst guests not attending the wedding can enjoy a peaceful ambience in the main hotel.

I thank you again for your valuable feedback and hope that we may welcome you back to Hotel Dunloe Castle in the future.

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2011

We stayed here last weekend. I will start with the negatives, make that the one negative, the room was fairly dated, they could do with a visit from an interior designer! However... there was so much to do here that we didn't get back to our room until 8.30 for the kids bedtime so it did not detract from the great time we had. We arrived early and our room was ready. We checked in and got our bags in and off to the playground, the kids were thrilled with this, aged 5 & 1. Then we went for a walk around the gardens, which are beautiful. We brought a picnic with us and had this on the grounds. There are animals everywhere, which the kids thought was cool. After the picnic and a half hour of rolling down the hills we went tothe stables to have a look at the horses. My very shy 5 year old son actually got upon a horse, I was astonished, the stable girl was lovely. Then we went to the 25m pool, where you could actually do a lap, not always possible in hotel pools. I snuck off for a sauna after and my husband took the kids to the games room. Dinner was lovely and the Garden Cafe is uber child friendly and the staff were very attentive without being over bearing. We all fell into bed after such a busy day and slept like babies! Breakfast was a total feast and we rolled out the door after it. Unfortunatly we were only staying for one night, but we will be back, for a longer stay. The five year old wants to stay for a couple of weeks next time (don't blame him!)

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Dear SarahMaMa

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I am delighted that your family enjoyed their stay with us. We always try to ensure a five star experience for even our youngest guests. Whilst the rooms are very traditional in décor we find that the overall experience, as you found during your stay, in particular the comfort of the bedrooms is the lasting memory guests have of their stay.

It’s great to hear that you made the most of the activities available (including rolling down hills!) and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon

Hotel Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beaufort
The Europe Hotel & Resort
Lake Hotel
#10 of 39 in Killarney
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,923 reviews
Aghadoe Heights Hotel & Spa

Been to The Dunloe? Share your experiences!