“pretty good japanese food” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Iron Chef Japanese Cuisine

Iron Chef Japanese Cuisine
Ranked #81 of 176 Restaurants in Wallingford
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Description: Iron Chef introduces ASIAN BISTRO & a fun hibachi, comfy bar and a quiet dining room. About 2 decades experience in restaurant business,David Chen, the owner, operated Iron Chef with his heart in every unit of your seat. Recently expanded hibachi steak house in order to accommodate customers need, he remodeled dining room and brand new hibachi steak house in very modern style.The lunch and dinner menus offer a wide variety of choices at very reasonable prices found no where else in Connecticut. Don't forget to ask for Today Special Menu. We guarantee our fine and freshness food. If you're not satisfied with any of your food or service, please let us know! We thank you for bringing in your families, friends and out of town guests to experience quality, exclusivity, and value with us.Celebrate your birthday at Iron Chef! We will serve Tempura Ice Cream with Fried Banana for you.At Iron Chef, we strive to serve you better.
New York City, New York
“pretty good japanese food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

The salmon was fresh. The dishes were prompt and pretty authentic. The age dashi tofu was crisp and the batter was light.

Visited September 2012

New Haven, Connecticut
“My FAVORITE sushi place!!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2012

I've been to a few sushi and hibachi restaurants in CT and this is by far my fav place. The food is AWESOME and fresh. My kids also love the food here! We don't get to eat here that often but when we do, we do lol. LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE!

• Visited August 2012
Milford, Connecticut
“Disappointing”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2012

I used to frequent Iron Chef on a regular basis as I am a Sushi lover and generally dine on Sushi once a week.

The last time I was at Iron Chef I decided would be my last. I can understand one thing going wrong, but the entire experience was just terrible.

First, the service was poor. After I was seated and I had placed my order, the waitress never returned. She didn't come back to ask if I wanted anything else, needed anything, or to refresh my water or drink.

That I could excuse but it was coupled with an order of Sashimi Deluxe that was literally just stacked and laid onto the plate, absolutely no creativity or decoration.

Finally, the quality of the fish was nothing more than average.

Three strikes.

Up until that dinner, I came to this restaurant at least twice a month. It was the worst Sushi experience I have ever had and will not return.

• Visited April 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Hartford, Connecticut
“Pretty good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2012

We used to go here once a week, when we were both addicted to sushi. This place does have very high quality sushi and is always really good. The new hibachi section is nice, but the food itself is average.

Sushi prices are pretty fair here, and we have always had good service. Nice drink and appetizer options.

If you want sushi, come here, if you want hibachi, your better off going to the place up the street (a bit more $$ but worth it)

• Visited July 2011
Meriden, Connecticut
“We didn't even stay”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2011

As someone who dines out frequently, I heartily endorse the Entertainment Book. I've been using it for years, and am usually pleased with the meals I receive. Above all, the places featured in its pages are almost 100% unanimous in granting the discounts quoted in the Entertainment Book. So I was extremely shocked to receive the frigid reception we got at Iron Chef.

I hadn't been to the place in several years, mainly because we had a rather unpleasant experience there on our last visit. So I was totally surprised to see that they had changed the decor: the new setup is much more warm and inviting than the old. We asked to have a hibachi dinner, as that was the only item featured in the Entertainment Book.

Upon seating, I asked the hostess if we were limited in choices by using the book. She got an angry look on her face and literally snatched my card out of my hand, mumbling something like 'I don't know about THAT' . When she returned, 5 minutes later, she thrust the card back at me and declared that we needed to order two beverages in order to use the card. When I tried to tell her that this was not specified in the book, she became nastier, and said that she might be able to bend the rules - but said this in a hostile manner.

At this point I simply told her that I didn't feel like arguing with her - and we left. I have posted this review as a warning to people who might wander into this place without knowing what to expect. Obviously, since they have been in the book for at least three years running, there was no mixup: they have changed their own rules. False advertising? I think so. And, if that is how the meal begins, I shudder to imagine what the food, service, and tab will be like. Go there at your own risk!

• Visited November 2011