“Good Business Stop”

Courtyard New Haven Wallingford
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Wallingford
Reviewed February 26, 2012

Stayed for an overnight business trip. The Courtyard Marriotts are fairly consistent so normally stay with the familiar. I am not sure who designs these rooms but the last 3 I have stayed in have the same issues - the desk chair is not conducive for anyone but a very tall person. I need to sit on 2 pillows just to be comfortable enough to work. The safety peephole in the door cannot be looked out unless you are tall. I am 5'2'' and cannot view who is at the door. I do not get the 'Bistro' - not impressed with the food choices but I do know they are trying to be accommodating. For a one-night business trip, it is fine. Service is always pleasant and efficient

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, request a room away from the highway side
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed January 28, 2012

There is a plain self service restaurant in the lobby. It is better than a usual deli, but not a genuine sit down restaurant.

The staff is very friendly and it was a good place to stay when stuck in a snow storm.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed January 14, 2012

This is your standard Marriott. But that's a good thing. It has updated and clean decor and the beds are crisp and comfortable. Everything you need is there. This hotel has a difference though. The manager is wonderful. I wrote a book on customer service, but I wish I had waited until I stayed here. This manager was so friendly. He genuinely cared about his guests. It showed. His actions also inspired that of the staff. Keep up the good work. The only thing I would change is the breakfast. Breakfast is a serious upcharge at the hotel, as it is with many/most courtyards. I wish they would include it as so many of their competitors do.

Room Tip: Any room is fine.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 8, 2012

I arrived late in the day and the check in could not have been easier. I informed the clerk that I was in town for funeral and he immediately helped me map out directions to the funeral home and the church. He also helped with finding a 'non-chain' restaurant for dinner.

The lobby appeared to be recently remodeled. Bright, clean, urban feel. There was an open business center to the left of the lobby. Starbucks for breakfast. The room was fresh, clean, better appointed than I expected. I really did not expect much but was pleasantly suprised. If I have to go back for business, I would absolutely stay again.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 4, 2011

I visit this area several times a years and have always stayed @ the Homewood Suites, right across the highway. This particular trip, I discovered that Homewood Suites was booked and subsequently I had to choose an alternate hotel, Since I am a Marriott Rewards member as well, I chose this one. Upon arrival, the front desk person was on the phone giving directions to someone. I had no problem with that, however he didnt acknowledge my presence until he was off the phone, which I found to be rude. He eventually greeted us, then abruptly turned us over to another employee who was pleasant and presented us with our keys. Upon entering the room it became apparent to me why I routinely chose Homewood Suites - I like space. While I have absolutely no complaints about the room itself here, it is smaller, in comparison. The internet connections were very good. The room that we had insulated us from any highway noise.Unfortunately our schedule didnt allow us to make use of the pool/fitness center, although I did peek in at the pool and from what I saw, it was decent. I loved the lobby restaurant for both breakfast and evening treats, upon returning from a long day, although I wished it stayed open at least 1/2 hr later on weekday nights and 1 hr later on weekends. Also really liked the individual TV screens in the restaurant booths. Nice touch! Overall, the accommodations were nice, however three things that for me were negatives were: 1) As a woman traveler, one item that I always prefer to see in the bathroom, is a wall make up mirror, which this room did not have. A deal breaker? Not at all. Simply wish that hotels would consider this in their decor. Personally I'd prefer the mirror over the in room coffee maker, which I rarely use.2) Upon taking my first shower, I noticed that the soap in the dish was previously used, which I quickly discarded, however it made me question just how thorough the bathroom had been cleaned after the previous guest. Another reason why I travel with my own Lysol. Lastly, it seemed as if housekeeping staff was limited on one particular day, as our room still hadnt been made up at 4pm. When we returned by 9pm, indeed it was. Would I stay her again? Absolutely! Without a doubt. However, old habits are hard to break and I can honestly say it would likely only happen if Homewood Suites were booked, they offered a substantial price cut, or if I were motivated solely by the accumulation of additional points.

Room Tip: Request rooms away from the highway noise.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank JaeTravel
Jim P, General Manager at Courtyard New Haven Wallingford, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2011

Thank you for the detailed review of the Courtyard by Marriott Wallingford. Without your feedback, we can't improve. Your review quickly became an area of focus with our Housekeeping team. We strive to maintain absolute high standards
and take the cleanliness of our rooms and hotel very seriously.

Your recommendation about a wall makeup mirror is helpful. The closet doors in all of the bathrooms are full length mirrors. It defintely helps with with dressing and preparation for the day.

Your suggestion to extended hours of operation in our Bistro was well taken. Our associates are empowered and encouraged to keep the Bisto opened longer when there is activity even at closing time.

When your travels bring you back to the Wallingford area, please call me directly at
(203) 284 - 9400. I would like to secure your reservation personally. Thanks again for your feedback. It has made a difference.

Reviewed September 12, 2011

Approximately 15 miles north of Yale and an easy shot straight up the highway. Nothing fancy but with a pool, cafe and clean rooms.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 10, 2011

This was a nice hotel. Nothing great, but the rate is good and accommodations were nice. The newly finished lobby is nice. You can get Starbuck's coffee and a nice breakfast. The service was exceptional. The girls that work the lobby are extremely upbeat and friendly to everyone. They had suggests on things to do and really seem to enjoy their work. This can make all of the difference for a stay with your family or business.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wallingford
Hilton Garden Inn Wallingford / Meriden
Homewood Suites Wallingford-Meriden
Fairfield Inn New Haven Wallingford
7 mi away
Best Western Plus North Haven Hotel
Comfort Inn & Suites Conference Center
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Meriden

Been to Courtyard New Haven Wallingford? Share your experiences!