“Perfect Executive Accommodations”

GreenLeadersBronze level
NYC
“Perfect Executive Accommodations”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2010

Charming B&B in a nice town (Wallingford CT). Walking distance to everything. They also have great extended stay accommodations for longer-term stays, including a 2-bedromm duplex apartment!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Palm Beach, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2008

I booked this room months in advance. A few weeks before my arrival date, however, my son broke his leg and needed extensive surgery and was bedridden, causing us to cancel our trip.
I called to cancel the room and was told that since it was a "special weekend" (with a six month cancellation policy!!?)that their cancellation policy required me to pay for all three nights that I had booked. I explained why I was cancelling and asked that since it was a high demand weekend, would they allow me off the hook if they rented the room after all?
I was told no, that I would have to pay for all three nights anyway!
After begging and pleading, calling other area hotels to ask them to refer overbookings to the B+B, I was finally told that since I got them another person to rent the rooms, they would refund---minus 20%!
Now they weren't keeping only 20% of only the first night, but of the entire three day booking! I really felt this was excessive, but I grudgingly paid it anyway.
I am a frequent visitor to Wallingford and hoped to have found a home away from home. But I will certainly never call on them again.
I am writing this review months after the incident--mainly because it STILL bothers me! They could have had a very happy repeat customer had they simply handled the situation more reasonably. Instead I post a warning to stay away.

• Disliked — Inflexible owner
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
8 Thank bossafin
innkeep, Owners at The Wallingford Victorian Inn, responded to this review, January 17, 2009
We gave you so much more.
As owners of the Wallingford Victorian Bed and Breakfast; we feel it necessary to reply to this review.
Our policies are detailed on our website for everyone to see. We also send them with each reservation confirmation. Our confirmation asks the requester to acknowledge that they "read, understand, and agree to" the policies. If the requester does not agree to the policies; they can withdraw their request without charge. Below is the policy in effect at the time of this reservation request:

"Policies: Deposit required at time of reservation. VISA, MasterCard, Discover credit cards, may be used for the deposit. Cash, money order or personal check also accepted with credit card information as a guarantee.
Cancellations: Deposit will be refunded only if notice of cancellation is given via email or in writing at least 14 days prior to arrival date. Less than 14 days notice, only the portion of your reservation we are able to rebook will be refunded.
Special Events: Holidays, school events, group bookings and affairs; require 120 days notice.
Extended stays (more than one week) require 60 days notice.
A partial cancellation may be treated as a cancellation for the entire stay, no refund for early departure or late arrival. All cancellations subject to 20% administration fees. We will make every effort to reschedule your visit or provide a certificate toward future stays."

We feel like we are stating the obvious; however, we wish to point out:
1. The requester agreed to give us 120 days notice of cancellation or pay for the reservation in full. They also agreed to a charge of 20% administration fees on all cancellations.
2. They did not give us 120 days notice.
They did not pay for the reservation in full.
They also did not beg or plead for us to try and refill the room. We always try to do this without being asked.

We were good enough to refund the room charges with only two weeks notice - and this is their way of saying thanks. It seems another instance of no good deed goes unpunished.
By the way - If the requester had asked; we would have given them a certificate for a portion of the fees to be applied toward a future visit.

Thank you for the opportunity to reply.
Becky and Dave Barrett
The Wallingford Victorian Bed and Breakfast
NYC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2007

My wife and I just returned from a two night getaway at the Wallingford Victorian. Overall we had a wonderful experience and I would recommend it.

The Wallingford Victorian is well located on a residential street within walking distance of the center of town. It is also a great jumping off point to explore the many wineries and farms that give this area of Connecticut its wonderful charm.
The overall decor of the Victorian is very warm and appealing, filled with antiques and many elegant touches. The woodwork in the dining room is impressive as is the flooring in the parlor room.
We stayed in the Georgiana suite and found it to be very comfortable. The bathroom is showing age, but I think Becky mentioned that she is going to eventually update it. I didn't check out any of the other updated rooms, but judging by the photos on the website they look more up to date.
The only downside comment I would make is the lack of extras that so often are a part of other B&Bs we have stayed in. The full breakfast is much appreciated and eating on the fine china is a treat, but there weren't any fresh baked goods. No afternoon sherry. No maid service unless specifically asked for. Granted, these are minor infractions and perhaps I am a bit too picky. It certainly did not take away from a great experience and as I stated earlier, I would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank joseph99
Bronx, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2007

Spent 3 days at the Victorian celebrating a birthday and anniversary. It was suggested that we go to a Bed and Breakfast for a non-hotel experience. I was so happy that I found the Wallingford Victorian. It was only a 1.5 hour drive from NYC, the house is beautiful and the innkeepers, Becky and Dave, made us feel welcome as soon as we arrived. As a 'person of color' I was a bit apprehensive but I felt automatically comfortable.
We booked a "wine and dine" special that included a great dinner at Michael's Trattoria and a lovely bottle of wine was waiting for us in our room when we arrived.
Also, since we drove, we took an excursion to Sandy Hook National Park, which is a lovely beach and really relaxed. We even took in a movie and had dinner at Friendly's (the first for my partner).
All in all it was well worth it and I would go back again and again!

• Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2007

What a lovely bed & breakfast in Connecticut!! The owners are absolutely wonderful hosts and a divine breakfast was served with such class!! I love the updated restorations to preserve this
great home!! You will love the experience.
debbie jenkins Gaylord Michigan

• Liked — Owners are great people
  • Disliked — none
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
1 Thank pagirl-7
Maniac from Maine
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2007

Nice Victorian (Queen Anne, I think) place on a quiet street. Easy to get to. Hosts are pleasant 'down homey' folks. Good for couples or singles, might be problematic for families, but maybe not. Nice decor, comfortable bed. Good stay. If you are in to B&B's and abhor national hotel chains, I recommend you try out.

• Liked — Quiet, solitude
  • Disliked — nothing really.
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BigLarr
new york, ny
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2007

My boyfriend and I were looking to get away from the city for a weekend and spend a nice quiet weekend together. The Wallingford B&B was the perfect choice.

We arrived on Friday night and were greeted by Becky who welcomed us with a big smile. Our room was very charming, yet still large and comfortable. It was clean, the bed was made and there was a box of Valentine's chocolates waiting for us on our pillow (since it was the weekend of Valentine's day). The best thing was when we went to sleep and for a nice change from the city, it was absolutely silent and completely dark in the room. It was so peaceful, we loved it!

The next morning we were greeted by Becky who made us our breakfast (including her pancake muffins, which she had just thought up to make...they were delicious, by the way!). The breakfast was delicious, and it was great being surrounded by the antiques and "Victorian house" atmosphere.

We and the other couple that were dining were a little shy to talking, but Becky was great at stirring up conversations, as well as guiding us to the many things to do in town. (One tip she gave was that The Tavern on Main St. was not actually a Tavern, but a great restaurant with a bad name. She was so right!)

To wrap this up, all in all, our stay here was absolutely wonderful! We were very welcomed and were able to relax just as we had intended. I strongly recommend staying here, it made for a wonderful weekend getaway!

• Liked — the hosts
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wallingford
Hilton Garden Inn Wallingford / Meriden
Homewood Suites Wallingford-Meriden
Courtyard New Haven Wallingford
Omni New Haven Hotel at Yale
BEST WESTERN PLUS North Haven Hotel
Madison Beach Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton

Been to The Wallingford Victorian Inn? Share your experiences!