“If your mom cooked Latin/Cuban this is the place she would run”
Review of Tata's Restaurant

Tata's Restaurant
Ranked #67 of 178 Restaurants in Wallingford
Cuisines: Caribbean
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We dined here on Saturday night. There was four of us. I had never been here before. I will say that I felt the food was very good, the prices were reasonable and the staff warm and welcome. There are some issues, but if you're looking for home style Caribbean / Cuban food in a family style atmosphere, this is your place.

As mentioned in all reviews, this is a modest looking store front place. The décor is plain and functional. The place is clean. The one truly jarring experience is that the co-ed bathroom is located right off the dinning room. Every time someone opened or closed the door, I had a great view of the bathroom. So, when you enter, don't have one of the tables near the windows on the side street (these tables are across from the bathroom).

When we arrived, we found out that they had neglected to write down the reservation. The gentlemen who did so, even made a joke about it. But they were able to accommodate us without fuss. We were told when we arrived that they were behind, profuse apologies but they were behind and it would take a while....and it did...over an hour to get our entree. I think if they wrote down the reservation they probably would have enough staff, but who knows. And yet, this was done with such honesty, friendliness and we were not in any rush, that we didn't mind. Our hostess also provided our drinks and desert on the house for the wait. If you are in a big rush, or just one who must have things promptly, perhaps not your place.

The menu - not extensive.

The food...we started with the sampler, empanadas, fried chicken & pork and potato ball. The empanadas were delicious. The pastry/crust was out of this world - light and yet savory. The meat cheese filling seasoned just right. Fried chicken / port was good - but not great and the potato ball also delicious. I had the carne frita (pork). The taste was good, but unfortunately the texture of the meat wasn't great and many pieces had grizzle. The rice was excellent, as was the vegetables and fried plantains. Friends had a dish, similar to pulled pork (sorry do not recall the name, and not the same spice as southern pulled pork) and they loved the dish. So perhaps it just wasn't a good night for our carne frita. We ended the meal with the coconut flan. I'm not a fan of flan, but the three friends were and they all said it was some of the best flan they have ever had. Somewhat similar to cheese cake in texture, the top was not crisp - but they loved it and ate every single bit.

With all their faults, this is a place I will go back to. The prices are reasonable, the staff is down home and for the most part, the food is good.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

I've been here several times for lunch, dinner, and have eaten catered food from here. I don't know what their secret is to cooking their rice, but it is PHENOMENAL. I can honestly say I have never had better rice in my life. It's simply incredible!

Anyway, the dishes here are a bit on the expensive side but are worth the price. Please try their chicken/beef empanadas if you get a chance. I have told many people about this place specifically for the rice and empanadas and no one has been disappointed yet. Many dishes on the menu are made with pork due to the restaurant's Cuban influence. I loved a Cubano sandwich I had here for lunch a few months ago.

My only gripe about this place is a very experience with the service at dinner once. It took over an hour to get our meals despite the fact that there were three tables occupied including our own. We ordered mango margaritas (delicious) which were also a 20 minute ordeal. Simple drinks should not take that long to make!

Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

Its been awhile but my most memorable meal was a puerto rican specialty called a mafongo. Its a cone shaped concoction with rice and pulled pork. Gotta have it! You will get a lot of food for your money so get ready to bring home a doggy bag. This is a friendly homey place that is a rarity.

Reviewed January 14, 2013

Out of 4 in our party, 3 were very pleased with what they ordered, and the fourth a bit more "so-so" than the rest of us. Like a previous reviewer said, the menu is not exactly the same as the online menu, so don't get your heart set on anything in particular according to what you see online...but there are still plenty of choices, and the online menu is representative of the style of cooking. Our server took the time to acquaint us with the restaurant's capabilities and the specials for the evening. They are very accommodating to your tastes, and will customize your menu choice by adding spice or substituting meat or other ingredients as you wish. They have a full bar. The restaurant seems to be family-run. Service was good. The prices are quite reasonable; even with alcohol, it was an inexpensive night out. There weren't many empty tables the night we went, and there were all types of patrons--families, friends, couples. I think this restaurant is a "hidden gem" in the Wallingford area. The town has so many chain restaurants and fast food restaurants--I would much rather go here and have REAL food!

Reviewed January 14, 2013

It doesn't look like much, but this little store-front restaurant serves up big flavor with flair. Love the sangria, too! Have enjoyed my meal every time I've been there. The food is attended to, and it shows. The salad could use a little more love, but that's not why you came. You came for the main course, and it doesn't disappoint.