“Truly Amazing! A high bench mark for all holidays to come.”

The Residence Maldives
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Falhumaafushi
Tring, United Kingdom
“Truly Amazing! A high bench mark for all holidays to come.”
Reviewed January 27, 2014

We had 9 nights at The Residence, and can truly say it was amazing. Everyone went out of their way to ensure we had a wonderful stay.

From the moment we arrived in Male, we were greater by Residence staff, who swiftly took our luggage and checked us in for the internal transfer down to the island, and then the short speed boat to the resort. The next we saw of it was as it was delivered to our Villa.

On arrival we were greeted and given the low down of the resort, facilities, restaurants, and met the Head Chef, Chef Amour. With my wife being a Vegetarian he immediately took an interest and for the rest of the holiday would greet us as we were wandering around the island and ask if the food was good, and if we wanted anything in particular to just ask, as anything can be made.

The Villa’s are amazing, we had a Water Villa, with a Sunset view, on the house reef side of the island. Even though we had seen photographs prior to arriving, it was still a real wow moment when we opened the door! We were met here by our Butler, and house keeper Waheed. Waheed looked after use brilliantly during our stay, cleaned the room twice daily, and made sure his visits coincided with us taking breakfast at the restaurant, and when we went for dinner in the evenings, which was perfect. Twice we had the surprise of the room being decorated with flowers and petals in the evening. A great touch which was totally unexpected.

The amount of marine life was breathtaking. You didn’t even need to venture into the water to see a vast range of fish, sitting on the sun deck at the villa, you had Ray’s, Black Tip Sharks, and 000’s of fish swimming under your feet. My morning ritual of a pre breakfast coffee sat on the edge of the deck never disappointed.

From the point of arrival to the final departure, nothing was too much trouble for anyone, walking to breakfast you were greeted by everyone, more often than not as Mr and Mrs … rather than just a hello. Your rarely had to give you room number as people just knew who you were.

The food throughout the stay was first class. The Falhumaa is spectacular and a must visit, we ate there five times in total, and were never disappointed. From the moment you arrive and wash your hands in the rose water, the experience is wonderful. Here we were treated to some wonderful dishes from the menu, and also some of the best Thai and Indian curry’s we have tasted, made especially by Chef Ravish and his team. From here as well we were greater by Ray’s, Sharks and Turtles whilst eating great food under the moonlit sky’s!

The service was impeccable, and each evening Sheyas, Kunal, Yuvraj and the rest of the team looked after us. A big thanks to them for making it a great experience.

The Dining room didn’t disappoint either, from the Eggs Benedict at breakfast, and the choice of freshly made juices, pasties, breads etc, again greeted by the usual hello Mr and Mrs…. The highlight of the week in the Dining room was the Japanese buffet, Fresh raw Yellowfin Tuna caught that morning..a true delight, and it doesn’t come much fresher. Again here despite it being a buffet service, the staff couldn’t do too much to help you. My wife was treated to dishes not on the buffet as they all took to make sure everything was suitable. Thanks here to Chef’s Sampath, Amour and Erwan, and the exceptional service from Sheyas, Hafiz and Athif making sure we had everything we needed and our glasses were kept topped up!

The Beach Bar served wonderful cocktails, and the food here was great too, enjoyed sat on the beach overlooking the turquoise sea. Cocktails masterfully made by Kobid and his Trainee (sorry I couldn’t get the name!), again, if it wasn’t on the list they would happily make it up for you. Here you could catch up on emails via the free wifi. Initially I was a bit put out at the charge for WiFi in the Villas, but this soon turned into a positive, as you could just switch off from the outside world, and truly relax and forget about the real world without the

The Picnic on the castaway island is a must, it really did feel like you were a million miles away from reality, and the snorkeling here was utterly amazing, even better than the house reef, which is also spectacular.

The only area I would say needs some improvement is the welcome in the reception/lobby. The staff behind the desks could learn a lot by spending a bit of time with the rest of the staff, if they could just adopt their smiles and the hello’s!!

Would I go back? Definitely!

Room Tip: Water Villa's on the sunset side.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Gary M
Sundaram M, General Manager at The Residence Maldives, responded to this review, February 8, 2014
Dear Gary M,

Many thanks for your detailed review and indeed sharing your most memorable experiences with us on trip advisor. My team and I are delighted to see the wonderful review on our trip advisor page.

It is our pleasure to know that you really enjoyed the stunning sunset views from your water villa, our sumptuous cuisine, the breathtaking marine life in and around the Island and the services of our team which is the core of “The Residence” brand.

Our Island is located in one of the deepest and largest atolls in the world and due to its exceptional location snorkeling in our house reef as well as in the lagoon is breath taking. I am also happy to note that you enjoyed the cast away island located few metres away from the northern tip of the main island.

I am pleased to note that you have really enjoyed your dining experience at our restaurants especially at Falhumaa the Specialty restaurant, The Beach Bar and The Dining Room.

Our F&B team including Shreyas, Yuvraj, Hafiz, Athif, Kunal & Kobid as well as the Kitchen including Chef Amour, Erwan, Sampath & Ravish, Waheed from Housekeeping and the rest of the team is thrilled to have been part of creating wonderful memories at the resort.

I thank you once again for your fantastic feedback and our team will be delighted welcoming you back in the near future.

M. Sundaram

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed January 15, 2014

We spent 6 nights at The Residence over Christmas break for some much needed rest and relaxation and for the diving, and simply cannot emphasize how much we loved our experience at this resort. This was our second trip to the Maldives (we stayed at another property on our first visit) and The Residence and its staff truly exceeded our expectations. We were so sad to leave this little slice of paradise! Here are some of the reasons why:

- Service: We cannot thank the staff enough for the warm and gracious service we received during our stay. To start, the long journey to the resort was so much more pleasant and seamless with the hotel escorts greeting us on our arrival in Male, sorting out our domestic transfer to Koodoo, and sending us for speedboat trip to the resort. Upon check-in to our water villa, we were introduced to our friendly and attentive butler, Francis, who was ever-present and helpful throughout our visit. He helped us obtain the much sought after bicycles by our second day at the resort (even though the staff at reception told us there were none available and to keep checking every morning), and scheduled housekeeping visits according to our daily activities (so we never felt the need to chase them down to make up our room). At our first dinner, we decided to indulge in room service and upon placing our order, to our surprise received a call from the Executive Chef D’Amour himself who checked on any dietary concerns or special requests we had. We really appreciated his thoughtfulness. Chef introduced himself and his team members to us in person the next day at the breakfast buffet, and needless to say our dietary needs were never a concern during our entire stay.

- Food: We felt right at home with Chef D’Amour, Ujang, and Erwan preparing our delicious meals for us. Before coming here, we did not expect that food would be among the highlights of our trip (given only three dining spots at the resort), but we enjoyed such varied and authentic Asian cuisine (Indonesian and Thai are definitely strong the team’s suits), Maldivian curry (we ate it 3 times!) and fine European cuisine (the lobster bisque and wagyu served for Christmas dinner were superb). To add to the dining experience, the wait staff (Hafiz) delivered beyond expectations, from arranging meals by our private pool under the starry sky one evening, and braving the strong winds and downpour on another evening to deliver our piping hot meal.

- Spa: The Residence’s Clarins spa is divine, set-up as individual villas above the water with sweeping views of the sea. Do not miss this! We treated ourselves to 60 minute massages, which kicked off with a lovely eye treatment and leg pampering session by Luciano, the spa director, before we dispersed to our separate villas. We love his sparkling personality and knowledgeable beauty advice! We also joined the sunset ayuverdic yoga class held on the spa jetty, which was one of the most relaxing yoga experiences we ever had.

- Water activities: The resort offers numerous water activities (some at an extra charge), and although we came for the scuba diving, the highlight of our visit was actually dolphin spotting! While they did not guarantee sightings on the 1.5hr dolphin excursion, the boat crew earnestly searched and we were very fortunate to witness schools of the playful creatures on our first day out at sea, just a 10 minute boat ride from the resort. The diving itself was so-so as visibility was not as great as we expected (compared to our first visit to Maldives) and we did not see diverse sea life, possibly due to the season, but we did enjoy diving with our instructor, Matthew, and the tireless boat crew.

Some minor comments for management:

Smoking: As a non-smoker, we felt that certain public areas need to be clearly designated for smoking and non-smoking, and enforced by the staff. We were uncomfortable with guests unabashedly chain smoking in covered areas by the swimming pool (sometimes, when children were around), and in parts of The Dining Room during mealtimes.

Tips for other guests:

While I personally slept very well during our stay, my husband, who is a light sleeper, was awoken on several occasions by the waves crashing against the base of the pool at our water villas during high tide. Light sleepers may want to consider staying in the beach villas to avoid this minor disturbance.

Room Tip: Light sleepers may want to avoid pool water villas on the sunrise side due to the rhythmic thudding...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ss2396
Sundaram M, General Manager at The Residence Maldives, responded to this review, January 26, 2014
Dear ss2396,

Many thanks for your fantastic review and indeed sharing your most memorable experiences with us on trip advisor. My team and I are delighted to see the wonderful review on our trip advisor page.

I am delighted to note your experience of the warm and friendly service of our team which is the core based on which “The Residence “brand is built.

It is our great pleasure to know that you have enjoyed the fabulous cuisine created by our fantastic Kitchen team led by the dynamic Executive Chef Amour. I am also pleased to note that you have really enjoyed the spa sessions at our Clarins Spa led by the Spa Director Luciano.

I am happy to note that you have enjoyed the Water Sports activities and the Dolphin cruise which is very famous with all our guests.

We have noted your comments on the smoking at our restaurants and I would like to assure you that we have taken it seriously and looking to find a solution for this.

I will pass your compliments to Chef Amour, Erwan, Ujjang, Francis, Hafiz, Matthew and Luciano.

Once again I thank you for your fantastic feedback and we would all be so delighted to welcome you back again at The Residence Maldives.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed January 10, 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights and 4 days and the experience was awesome. Service was really good from the time we reached there till we checked out. Stayed in a water villa which was a really good experience. Since the reception and restaurants are a bit far from the water villas, they do provide us with bikes to ride around :) Those who are into watersports will have a really good time. The staff were all very friendly. Over all a good experience.
A must visit place.

The only downside was the access to this resort from the international airport. Coming from Dubai and being in a 4 hour flight, we had to board another domestic airline which took another one hour to get to the resort. This was really tiring for me, but once you get there, you just feel its all worth it.

Room Tip: Make sure you look at the resort map before choosing your room.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Shonzj
Dear ShonzJ,

My team and I would like to thank you for the wonderful review on our trip advisor page.
It is our great pleasure to know that that you really enjoyed the spacious Water Villa and its stunning views.

I am delighted to note that you really enjoyed the water sports facilities at the resort, the sumptuous cuisine and the friendly service from the staff.

We thank you for choosing to stay with us and would be delighted to welcome you back at The Residence Maldives.

Reviewed December 26, 2013

Truly luxurious, yet the feeling is amazingly welcoming like home!

The first thing that captivated me when I arrived in the resort is the warm welcome of the staff. You just can’t help but keep that smile in your face because everywhere you go around the resort, genuine smiles are also there. I even told my friends that it’s me who wants to give up saying “Hi” and “Hello” because even the gardeners will give their time to greet you though they are busy doing their thing. Unbelievable!!!

Then once you look around, this island is a paradise!!! Even your tiredness from the travel will suddenly disappear once you have seen the breathtaking view around. And not just that, the villas are very spacious and fantastic. I stayed in one of the Beach Villas. Lying on my bed, then right in front I can watch the crystal clear sea and blue sky. It’s incredibly awesome! Same when you are seated in the living room while having your coffee (coffee machine and coffee capsules are provided in the villa), the view of the sea is really relaxing. The bathroom -- it’s really gorgeous. Housekeeping does their job pretty well. Hassan is excellent in keeping our room always clean plus our excellent butler who always attend promptly to our concerns.

And to go around the island, having your partner bicycle will make you feel that you are on a paradise ride. At least you must have a try of this than always getting on the buggy. Walking to Falhumaa is also a breathtaking experience. Their very long walkway surrounded by the clear water is just amazing. Keep your camera as buddy everywhere you go. Anything that you see while strolling is worth capturing. If you have much time, you can also go to their castaway island which is a short-kayak away from the resort. Totally feels like an exclusive beach experience being there! :-)

And about the food, even if you are the picky type of person, you also don’t need to worry. They have a wide variation of cuisine available in their restaurant. I’m impressed cause even in the buffet, everything tastes really good. Also to specially mention, the food in the Falhumaa ( a must try ) is excellent! Their dessert is so good!! I have also tried their Barbecue dinner by the beach and it’s one of a kind dining experience! The cozy beach bed, cool wind, soothing sound of the waves and view of starry night sky while eating nice food – heaven! Plus the friendly and professional staffs that they have in the restaurants, dining experience in this island is superb. The chefs and waiters are also spending time talking to the guests and make them feel very welcome. Thanks to Chef Amour, he is a very friendly and excellent chef! I have tried their cooking class too and it was fun and perfect. And if you think you’ll be needing exercise because of so much eating, don’t worry the resort has surprisingly a very well equipped fitness center with sauna.

And if you are not much like me who just want to watch the gorgeous sea most of the time, there are so many other things that you can do in the island. You can snorkel and do diving. They also have kayak and catamaran available. Dolphin and sunset cruise are a must experience here! Or if you would like to just hang out and have fantastic drinks, their Beach Bar is a perfect chilling out place. They also have free wifi there. Also, the pool bar is a good area to watch the wonderful sunset. :-) Though I did not have time to try the Spa (Spa by Clarins), heard it’s excellent. So I must try next time.

Given the place like Maldives, definitely it’s paradise. But it’s the resort’s warmth and excellent services that made my Maldives experience very worth it and unforgettable. Definitely coming back! :-)

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear k-traveller22,

It is our great pleasure to know that that you really enjoyed the spacious Beach Villas and its stunning views.

I am pleased to note that you liked our idyllic island located on the pure and untouched southern region of the Maldives. I am also happy to note that you enjoyed our sumptuous cuisine, the breathtaking marine life and the friendly service from our staff always with a smile and positive attitude which is the core of “The Residence” brand.

Chef Amour and Hassan are thrilled to have been part of creating wonderful memories of your time on the island.

I thank you once again for your fantastic feedback and for sharing it with us on our trip advisor page. Our team will be delighted welcoming you back in the near future.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed December 9, 2013

Oh My God! That was the reaction since the time we landed on the property till we left! A stunning property that kept us busy at all hours, and at the same time gave us enough space to hideout and feel castaway. In fact there is actually a castaway virgin island right next, just go snorkeling and feel lost! Super thanks to Kobid (you can find him @ the Bar) and Shreyas (find him @ Falhuma) who not only helped us explore the stunning coral reefs and but also introduced me to one of the finest beer ‘Asahi’ over a sunset barbeque at the beach.

Make sure you book an evening date at Falhuma restaurant and experience the serenity of dining right at the end of the reef. This doesn’t go without a mention of Yuvraj (restaurant manager) who floored us with his hospitality and some great stories.

To sum it, you not only get to experience the Maldivian water villa luxury with round the clock private butler (Thanks to Francis) but you also get to meet a brilliant set of people who only thrive to make your stay unforgettable.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ShekharBanerjee
Sundaram M, General Manager at The Residence Maldives, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
Dear ShekarBanerjee,

I am pleased to note that you liked our idyllic island located on one of the southernmost atolls of the Maldives complimented by the fantastic house reef and its turquoise lagoon. I am also happy to note that you enjoyed the cast away island located few meters away from the northern tip of the main island.

I am happy to note that you have really enjoyed our sumptuous cuisine at our restaurants and the friendly service from our staff always with a smile and positive attitude.

Kobid, Shreyas, Yuvraj and Francis are thrilled to have been part of creating wonderful memories of your time on the island.

Reviewed November 28, 2013

Everyone’s bucket list is to experience the beauty of Maldives and it was amazing to witness the beautiful scenery of this country. Living in a busy city like Singapore where you can see nothing but a lot of high-rise buildings and heavy crowd on a daily basis can sometimes make you feel tired and monotonous.

The Residence Maldives for me is a perfect get away paradise that will bring you close to nature. And aside from that, their staff is composed of hospitable people and they treated us like royalty. Their genuine smiles will probably make you happier and enjoy your stay. Kudos to Hassan, our superman boy who cleans our room twice a day and brings us cookies too! ☺

The food was fantastic. They offer buffet service that caters to the preference of each guest. Chef D’Amour, Chef Tuklimbu and their team loves to make sinful dishes and desserts.

The Residence Maldives with a majestic view of the sea will exceed your expectations. Good food, good service, wonderful place and romantic view… definitely you’ll come back!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear Vykram,

Many thanks for your fantastic review and indeed sharing your memorable experiences with us on trip advisor. I am always so thrilled to read about all the great experiences that our guests have and your comment brings me great joy.

I am pleased to note that you liked our idyllic island located on the pure and untouched southern region of the Maldives. I am also happy to note that you enjoyed the friendly service from our staff always with a smile and positive attitude which is the core of “The Residence” brand.

I am pleased to note that you have really enjoyed your dining experience at our restaurants and the sumptuous cuisine created by our fabulous culinary team.

Chef Amour, Chef Tuk, Hassan and the Kitchen team is thrilled to have been part of creating wonderful memories of your time on the island.

Kuantan
Reviewed November 27, 2013

Traveled to The Residence in August 2013 and stay there for 4 nights. During my stay, I feel great. I was there, relax and eat, sleep and swim, walking around and enjoy the great sunrise and sunset.

Took night flight from Malaysia to Maldives, and transit to The Residence with local flight. Well, reached at the resorts around 2am, but it was 5am in Malaysia. I was tired but still happy and welcome by their staffs.

I stayed in Water Pool Villa. So everything was just great, blue sky and blue sea. I just enjoy the scenery. Food was great, and I never had the chance to try every single dish. Had dinner at The Falhumaa, great dining, but a bit dark to read the menu.

Overall, We had our great time. Just maybe need to more cautious with the flight arrangement. We can't get on our flight to Kuala Lumpur because of the delay of local flight. But The Residence arrange accommodation and next day flight for us. So, we had a chance to walk around Male. Well, consider as a small gain. Thanks to Mr. Nalin on this matter.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guitarleo,

It is our great pleasure to know that that you really enjoyed the spacious Water Pool Villa and its stunning sunset and sunrise views.

It is our pleasure to know that you really enjoyed our sumptuous cuisine, the breathtaking marine life in and around the Island and the services of our team which is the core of “The Residence” brand.

We have noted your comments on the domestic flights and would like to assure you that we are looking in to it seriously for improvement. I will pass your compliments to Nalin our Asst. Front Office Manager.

M. Sundaram
Also consider these accommodations in or near Falhumaafushi
Outrigger Konotta Maldives Resort
Outrigger Konotta Maldives Resor...
#3 of 3 in South Huvadhoo (Gaafu Dhaalu) Atoll
#1 of 1 in Villingili
Jumeirah Dhevanafushi
Jumeirah Dhevanafushi
#1 of 1 in Meradhoo Island

Been to The Residence Maldives? Share your experiences!