“Beautiful country”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Falhumaafushi
Kunming, China
“Beautiful country”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

The Residence Hotle have very good service, people are very nice and kind. I like there the food and the decorate is very beautiful also the food is very good.I like the falhumaa restaurant it's a french style restaurant. The restaurant is over the water in the night the light with the bulding it very beautiful.I really enjoy the time at the island,

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank lucy y
Thomas B, General Manager at The Residence Maldives, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Dear Lucy Y,

I would like to personally thank you for your time in sharing your very positive feedback and appreciation of our facilities and services.

My Team and I are very pleased that we were able to create a memorable experience for you during your stay in July. It is indeed a pleasure to know that you have really enjoyed your dining experience at “The Falhumaa” our specialty restaurant as well as at other F&B outlets.

I thank you once again for your fantastic feedback and for sharing it with us on our tripadvisor page. Our team will be delighted welcoming you back in the near future.

Warm regards,

M. Sundaram

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Me and my wife stayed in this resort from 4th July to 8th July for our honeymoon. Journey to the resort is quite hectic (4 hours to Male airport from MY + 1 Hour Internal transfer and about 15 min speed boat) but its all worth it as the resort is very beautiful and great. To The Residence staff credit, once you have touch down to Male airport everything is taking care of but 1 note for all traveler will be ensuring that you are arriving at the right airport (koodoo airport) as the internal flight might stop at kaddhoo airport if I remember correctly)

The resort is very well maintain and to be exact in great condition (as it is still new). From the food, activities and everything from this resort are top notch. However, what is difference between The Residence and others resort will be their service. During my 4 night stay here, what make be feel great about this resort their top notch service and warm staff. I must say that each day at the resort I do make great friends with The Residence staff (Kunal for his great service telling me Falhumaa storey between the spice trader and the mermaid, Hanif and Altif for their great service during my stay there and ensure my breakfast , lunch and all others need is well taken care of). Thank you so much for all the great services and you guys definitely make The Residence special and different from the others :)

I must say that during my 4 days at the residence, i dont even feel like I am on my holiday and credit to all the friendly staff for making me feel like home. Another point to add is for all new visitor you must tried Falhumaa dinner at least once because it server great food and the ambiance is real good especially if you enjoying the romantic moment.

Regarding activities, if you like snorkeling this will be a great place and we are lucky enough to be able to see the baby shark , turtle, stringray and lots of fish from our villa snorkel. If you are interested for a snorkel trip you can go to the dive center but unfortunately you will need to know how to swim in order to go as this is for safety reason.

Last but not least, I enjoy every moment for my 4 night stay at The Residence and I wish everyone in The Residence the best and keep up the top notch services.

Room Tip: Room at the south side will be quieter but it required quite a walk in order to go out (reception...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DylonLow
Thomas B, General Manager at The Residence Maldives, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
Dear DylonLow,

My team and I would like to thank you for the wonderful and detailed review on our trip advisor page.

It is our great pleasure to know that your honeymoon at The Residence was fantastic and you have really enjoyed our services which is the core of “The Residence” brand.

I am pleased to note that you have really enjoyed your dining experience at “The Falhumaa” our specialty restaurant as well at other F&B outlets. Our Island is located in one of the deepest and largest atolls in the world. Due to this exceptional location the underwater world in our house reef as well as in the lagoon is breath taking.

Kunal, Hafiz and Athif are especially thrilled to have been part of creating wonderful memories of your time on the island.

Warm regards,

Singapore
Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

My hubby & myself stayed at this resort from 8 to 12 June 2013. We are greeted by friendly and helpful staff daily.

The food tastes great and variety ranges from Asian to Western (sufficient choices to satisfy young & old). They are well prepared with fresh ingredients. I enjoy my daily meals in all 3 dining areas. Chef even catered to my request for non spicy & less oily fried noodle.

We love the sun, sand & sea views outside our villa. I was fortunate, I was the sole participant of the complimentary daily sunrise yoga (6 to 7 am).

A big thank you to all the staff of The Residence, Maldives. You have given us an unforgettable experience this holiday!

• Stayed June 2013
Thomas B, General Manager at The Residence Maldives, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
Dear SmurfFat,

Many thanks for taking the time to write this great review about The Residence Maldives, our services and our wonderful Team!

We are all very pleased to have contributed to make your stay like a second honeymoon and an unforgettable experience.

Again, thank you and we are looking very much forward to welcoming you in the near future.

With warm regards,

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed June 12, 2013

My wife and I were at the Residence for 3 nights from the 2nd of June 2013.
Much can be found on the internet about the Maldives and the Residence, so i'll try to keep this review on-topic about our experience.

Getting there:
The domestic flight from Male to Kooddoo was delayed for 1hour based on the information given to us, sketchy at best. We were put in a comfortable lounge with food and drinks, free wifi and the usual perks. The service staff come by to inform you of your flight's availability.

Flight to Kooddoo involved a stop-over at Kadhdhoo for a good 30 minutes as the plane reloaded on passengers. We were not informed of this and would have alighted had the attendant not stopped another group in front of us. Supposed flight time without the stop would have been 1 hour. It can get very stuffy onboard during this period.

Upon arrival at Kooddoo, we were quickly ushered to the speedboat, with all our luggage handled by the Residence staff. Airport to jetty was 2-3 minutes, wait for boarding the speedboat was 10 minutes and the boat ride itself took 15 minutes.

All-in-all, we were on the road for almost 11 hours considering the SQ flight from Singapore only takes 4.5 hours.

The Residence:
You are blown away the moment you spy the resort on the horizon. There is a dedicated reception jetty which is made out to resemble a villa rather than a jetty. You are quickly whisked away by buggies to the reception on the island and a dedicated member of the staff walks you through the formalities. Within 20 minutes, we were running amok in our water villa with private pool.

The resort is in good condition, we are told it is about a year and a half old. The grounds are well-maintained and the rooms are very clean.

We stayed at 304 which was closer to the dive-shop and reception jetty but this was no problem at all with regards to privacy. The design of the rooms mean that strategically-positioned panels and walls cut out prying eyes. We had no problem with noise at all during our stay, unless you consider breaking waves to be a problem. Our room faced the west which meant we did not have the morning sun and howling winds from the east side.

The buggy service handles all your mobility issues and we never waited long for someone to pick us up after arranging for a pick-up. The island is small anyway and a nice walk is never out of order.

The toilet opens up to the sea and this literally means you can take a dip right after you are done with the bathtub. It's only a 2 metre leap of faith, considering the leap most honeymooners have already taken. Do attempt this during high tide though :)

The spa by Clarins is truly luxurious and the treatment does turn back the clock and undo those smile lines. Do book ahead as the spa is very popular - we thought we could call in the morning and get an afternoon appointment, this was not the case.

Snorkelling was wonderful, we entered from our villa and swam a short 40m to the edge of the house reef where it plunged down to 20m and beyond. There were countless turtles, white-tip sharks and tons of anthias, fusiliers and baitfish. Bluefin trevallies and some small tunas would cruise by and suddenly explode in the direction of the baitfish. Large snappers sat in midwater and parrotfish busily pecked at rubble. Visibility was so-so, maybe 5-10m. There was negligible current and the water was warm.

The food:
There are 3 options - in-room dining, at the Dining Room and at Falhumaa. We tried all 3 and had no problems with any. There is a menu for food and also the option of asking for something special off the menu, if the chef can, he WILL make it happen. Falhumaa is an experience in itself, a restaurant set 150m out to sea with the big winds and surf providing a backdrop. You can feed the reef fish and opportunistic reef sharks which swim just under your feet.

Food is in generous servings and are priced as all Maldivian resorts price them. We had very good meat dishes at Falhumaa and wonderful Asian cuisine at the Dining Room.

The people:
This is what sets the Residence apart. We were at the W after the R and honestly, when it comes to service, R does indeed come before W. While not putting the W down, it would be remiss of me to not praise the quality of the Residence's staff.

From the gentleman who greets you at the arrival hall right to Jambe who sends you off, everyone makes it a point to let you know you're special. Everyone tries their best to know your name, and there were some really difficult names to remember, and everyone spends time to chat with you. Yes, this is a job requirement, but you'll understand what sincerity means when you head to the Residence and experience it yourself.

Every member of the staff is exceptional, in our case we were fortunate to interact more with Amour, Luciano, Puneet, Nalin and Kunal. For those we have failed to mention, our apologies, but you were all fantastic. Executive chef Amour in particular made it a point to customise the dishes for us and prepare some absolutely delicious Asian delicacies. Ask for his mee bakso if you're in the mood for some Indonesian cuisine.

In summary:
Sorry for the long review. In short, there are many many many reviews on the Maldives and even more on the resorts around. All we can say is, you won't have a bad time, in fact you'll be absolutely pleased with the Residence. Every island in the Maldives will more or less boast stunning cobalt blue and azure waters with white sandy beaches, along with some good snorkelling and water activities. It is really the service that makes or breaks the experience.

For us, the Residence deserves top marks.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side have better snorkelling. If you do not want the sun streaming in in the morn...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank hankyspanks
Thomas B, General Manager at The Residence Maldives, responded to this review, June 16, 2013
Dear Hankyspanks,

What a wonderful review !

I do thank you very much for this great and detailled feedback, which I took pleasure to read to the Team this morning.
I am delighted to read that you enjoyed our resort and all its facilities, but especially "When it comes to service, R does indeed comes before W" - We just loved it !!
It is both a deep satisfaction and a reward to be recognized for our Quality of Service and for Our People, as it indeed is the Service and the People that makes the big difference !

Once again thank you, dear Hankyspanks, and we are all looking very much forward to welcoming you in your Maldivian Residence.

With warm regards,

Raipur, India
Reviewed May 24, 2013

I stayed at The Residence in the month on April ( 17th April - 19th April ). The rooms are excellent with appropriate space ( Water Villa ). As it is a huge property with a amazing caste away island where we had an amazing BBQ dinner. Staff is excellent with a smile and a positive attitude on their face. The services are Good as well as the food is also good. Staying at this property is a peace of mind n a life time experience. It is the perceptive and friendly service that makes it worthwhile staying in "The Residence". Good option for snorkeling as u get to see a good n healthy marine life around the resort. The beaches are clean & good to have a long evenging walk with your loved ones. I loved the beach bar as it is amazing to seat n watch the sunset while having your favorite drinks.
"I strongly recommend this Resort"

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Tanmay_313
Thomas B, General Manager at The Residence Maldives, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Dear Tanmay_313,

My team and I would like to thank you for the wonderful review on our trip advisor page.

It is our greatest pleasure to know that you enjoyed our beautiful Island and its tranquility in line with the brand vision of The Residence “Take refuge from the norm”. My team is truly delighted to receive such kind and generous feedback to the service that you received during your stay with us.

I am pleased to note that you really liked the spacious water villas, excellent cuisine in our restaurants and the breathtaking marine life around the resort. I am happy to note that you enjoyed the BBQ dinner as well as the friendly service from our staff with a smile and positive attitude. It is a pleasure to know that you enjoyed the stunning views of the sunset at the Beach Bar sipping your favorite cocktails.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed May 23, 2013

What really impressed me the most were the people at The Residence and their exceptional levels of service. Be it the Resident Manager, Sundaram, who left no stone unturned to ensure we had a delightful stay or Puneet and his team of super chefs who ensured we were well fed at all times (its showing in the tilting scales) or Kobid behind the bar who ensured we remained sufficiently tipsy even as castaways or your front office (ably lead by Connie), housekeeping staff and bulter who did a fabulous job of looking after our small needs. This is a large island with the pool, bar and water sports area at one end and gives its guests enough space to explore and still maintain privacy. The private pool 2 bedroom water villa I stayed in is a classic example of understated luxury with ample space for a family with 2 grown up kids who can share the 2nd twin bedded room. For couples with smaller kids, I would recommend the 2 bedroom beach villa with or without the private pool. The latter, though, comes highly recommended if you like your privacy. And its so close to the beach! Kids will love it!
The Clarins Spa is a delight. A completely separate unit, this exclusive spa consists of water villas each of which is a therapy room. Don't leave without a session here and book early if you are planning a short stay. The food is excellent and Indian food can be cooked up in a jiffy. They have good Indian chefs on the island. The Falhumaa fine dining restaurant opens for dinner but its location is what took our breath away. Located at the end of a long walkway over the lagoon its right at the end of the lagoon near the reef and you can hear the waves break gently as you settle down for a meal. For our small group, they organised a wonderful Thai cooking session and we were all pretty proud of what we delivered!
Their dive centre runs a tight ship and are very strict on rules. For a Discover scuba course, they insist that the enthusiast is able to swim 200mtrs in the sea before being signed on. So, check in advance if you are keen on learning scuba but aren't a great swimmer. Having said that, if you are a moderate swimmer, don your life jacket, take your snorkel and fins and head out to the house reef. Its a remarkable reef that falls away sharply but the underwater life is divine! In the lagoon while snorkelling from the water bungalow to the Falhumaa restaurant, I came pretty close to a 3ft long reef shark! A great moment for me.
Reaching there: I have read some adverse reviews on reaching the place. Honestly, you need to be better informed. A 60min domestic flight (not a sea plane) from Male will take you to Koodoo airport (built by the resort). Their AC vehicle will take you to the jetty (3mins drive away). A 20min speedboat ride (we saw a pod of dolphins on the way) will take you to the resort. Well, you are staying in the remotest atoll of Maldives. Just sit back and enjoy the journey. The destination is worth it!
My take away moment: There were many but the sundowner the resort organised for us in a 'castaway' island about 500meters away from the resort was the highlight. Go for it, if you want to propose to the love of your life!

Room Tip: If you are travelling with small kids who love water, stick to the beach villa with private pool. Ho...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Abhik D
Dear AbhikD,

Many thanks for your detailed review and indeed sharing your most memorable experiences with us on trip advisor. I am always so thrilled to read about all the great experiences that our guests have and your comment brings me great joy.

I am pleased to note that you liked our idyllic island located on the pure and untouched southern region of the Maldives. It is a great pleasure to know that you enjoyed our luxurious two bedroom water villa with pool which is ideal for a family, exclusive and exquisite Spa by Clarins, the sumptuous cuisine at our specialty restaurant Falhumaa combined with the fantastic view of the Indian Ocean and the Thai cooking session.

Our Island is located in one of the deepest and largest atolls in the world. Due to this exceptional location the underwater world in our house reef as well as in the lagoon is breath taking. There are many untouched and un-spoilt diving & snorkeling spots located at close proximity to our resort which is something unique to The Residence Maldives.

I am happy to note that you enjoyed the sun downer cruise as well as the sunset cocktails at the nearby castaway island. I will pass your compliments to Sundaram, Puneet, Connie & Kobid. I am so glad that you took back home with you some memorable moments and thank you again for sharing them with us.

We would all be so delighted to welcome you back again at The Residence Maldives

Calcutta, West Bengal, India
Reviewed May 22, 2013

I visited this property in the month of March and was put up in a Overwater Villa with Pool. This is a excellent property Short flight from Male City South Atoll. They have a Diving School Connected to the Property which is excellent as you have everything from deep sea diving to snorkeling available right at the property itself. Staff at the property are really friendly and not only make your stay very pleasant but the main thing is that they all carry a broad smile on their face which is excellent.
The Property is comparatively very new and very well maintained. They have a excellent Spa on board which is a additional attraction to stay in his paradise heaven.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank RockeyRocksVensimal
Dear RockeyRocksVen,

I would like to thank you for posting such wonderful comments about your stay with us.

It is our great pleasure to know that that you enjoyed the spacious water villa with pool. I really appreciate your good comments about our dive school with their wide range of activities, the excellent cuisine in our restaurants and our unique Spa by Clarins. I am also pleased to note your compliments about our friendly staff and their everlasting smile.

We thank you for choosing to stay with us and would be delighted to welcome you back at The Residence Maldives.

Thomas Barguil
Also consider these accommodations in or near Falhumaafushi
Outrigger Konotta Maldives Resort
Outrigger Konotta Maldives Resor...
#3 of 3 in South Huvadhoo (Gaafu Dhaalu) Atoll
#1 of 1 in Villingili
Jumeirah Dhevanafushi
Jumeirah Dhevanafushi
#1 of 1 in Meradhoo Island

Been to The Residence Maldives? Share your experiences!