“Good Times :)”

The Residence Maldives
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Falhumaafushi
Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

Good Times!
Stayed at The Residence Maldives over the festive season and I had the most amazing time. We were staying in a water villa with pool and were lucky that we got the sunset view. The room is very spacious and is well thought of.
The weather was not so good during the first few days and we has all the doubts in our minds, as we had to cancel a lot of our planned activities. But poof!!! And then the weather cleared up and the amazing times begin….
The first experience I will like to mention here is the New Year’s night. We had an amazing time. Started of with a cocktail, then an elaborate buffet for dinner and a nice band and to wrap up things a party at the beach bar. The highlight was of course the hot air lanterns that you send up just before the midnight. Not many people were dancing but the music was good and we had a nice time on the beach. Sounds like a regular dinner…but it was the team that made the difference.
We spent almost our entire day by the pool at the beach bar as did a lot of other guests. There were quite a few people around and it had a nice buzz! The team at the bar is most helpful, smiling and professional. It is the smiles of these people that is our memories. The resort organizes BBQ on the beach on a few selected nights, would have been nicer if we come to know about it a little more in advance. But the BBQ’s were excellent. The beach bar has a sushi bar in the afternoon and it was most delightful. We also got to taste the new pizzas that they were trying and it was excellent!!!
Breakfast was nice and they had put a buffet during this time. Unfortunately we did not get a chance to try the ala carte style. But I guess this one was better for my taste. Had lots of options available and all tasted fabulous. Falhumaa dinner is special and makes a very memorable evening.
The Clarins spa was great and we had a great treatment.
Snorkeling on the house reef is alright but if you go on some of the outer reefs, it was so nice. So many things to see…. I have travelled all throughout the Indian ocean but this one is really special.
Lastly will like to thank the General Manager, F&B Manager and his number 2 and the Chef for really looking after us. They were always around looking after the need of each and every guest. I guess that is what made the real difference.
From UK

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Beautiful-0312
Thomas B, General Manager at The Residence Maldives, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2013

Dear Beautiful-0312,

Greetings from The Residence Maldives!

I would like to personally thank you for your time in sharing your long & detailed comments on your The Residence experience.

I am glad that you had enjoyed every moment of your stay with us especially the New Year’s Eve Gala Dinner and the wonderful releasing of sky lanterns. I am extremely happy that you liked our Beach Barbecue, our newly launched Pizza and Sushi Bar and our relaxing spa treatments. Rest assured that your comments will be shared to the team.

Once again thank you for your most valuable feedback.

I am looking forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to The Residence Maldives in the near future.

Warm regards,

Reviewed January 3, 2013

This is a tough one... We really wanted to love this place, and the truth is, we had a great time, but the overall experience didn't justify the price in our opinion (even though we took advantage of their offer whereby you get one free night for every 2 you pay)

The pros:
- the resort is truly amazing, and the water villas are exquisite: very spacious, modern and comfortable. Our villa was definitely the most luxurious we've ever stayed in
- the gym is very well equipped, and not used by many people, so we took great advantage of that
- the diving center was very good and the diving instructor Sylvia excellent
- the spa is exceptional. The treatment villas are incredible, and the massage we got was excellent
- most of the staff was very attentive, and trying very hard to satisfy us.
- breakfast was very good (but a bit stingy on fruits and some made to order dishes. Looking at other pictures posted by previous visitors, it looks like they have reduced the portions)

Now the cons:
- there were some issues with the organization. It resulted in us being upgraded from a water villa to a water pool villa, but the only reason why we where upgraded was because they were first confused and told us we had a water pool villa. Clearly it was great for us and we appreciated the upgrade very much, but it was their mistake in the first place. The real letdown was the day of our departure. When we checked in, we told them our flight from Male was early in the morning, so we had booked a hotel next to the airport for our last night in the Maldives. Therefore, we wanted to leave the resort as late as possible on our last day. They said they would arrange our domestic flight in the evening on that day. We didn't hear anything about our domestic flight until very late the evening before our check-out date: they left a card in our room saying we were leaving the resort at 7am the next day... When we saw that we immediately asked them to rearrange the domestic flight as it wasn't what we had agreed upon. They did rearrange it at a more convenient time, but the reception still rang us the next morning at 7am, to ask why we weren't there... We thought this was extremely poor organization for a luxury resort. In addition, the hotel representative who welcomed us in Male (both ways) was completely useless. On our way there, he failed to tell us that our domestic flight was boarding, even though he had asked us to wait in the lounge until he notified us. And on the way back, he said he would contact our hotel in Male to ask them to come pick us up, but he just vanished after that.
- some members of the staff at the beach bar were really useless - even though some of them were very very good. As a consequence, service at the beach bar could be very slow (if it was the wrong guy, who also made pretty bad cocktails by the way). I was also surprised when one of them took away my empty glass of water, without offering to refill it instead. That's a detail, but unfortunately, when you pay that price, you expect impeccable service, and the Residence just isn't there yet. Not to mention that in all the other 5 star hotels that we visited, we enjoyed all the small perks like the fresh hand towels, the sunglasses cleaning, the towels being arranged on the loungers for us, etc. There was none of that there. And the loungers were actually quite uncomfortable (because the mattress kept slipping on the chair itself)
- our buttler was a very nice guy, but the only time we asked him to do something for us (book a table at the Falhumaa), he didn't do it
- the food was very uneven. Some dishes were truly excellent, some were just very bland. On average, the asian dishes were much better executed than the western ones. We tried the Falhumaa once, and even though it was much more expensive than the other restaurant, the food was very disappointing. I had to send back my lamb as it was way overcooked. It is also so dark that you can't see what you're eating at all. And service there was really bad. I mean waiters are always very friendly, but they were very disorganized, and so we had to wait a long long time for everything
- another detail: the welcome fruit basket is a very nice thought, but how exactly do they expect us to cut a pineapple with the regular cuttlery provided in the room?
- and finally, the clientele wasn't always pleasant. For some reason, 90% of the guests were Chinese, and while many were quiet and respectful, some of them shocked us with their manners (could be pretty loud, smoking everywhere including in the restrooms or in the library, and while we ourselves dressed pretty casually, we thought the swim trunks for dinner was pushing it a bit)

To summarize, we thought this resort had a great potential as the facilities are amazing. But service and food need to be improved as they are currently too uneven to justify the price tag.
Maybe this is just how it is in the Maldives, but we have experienced far superior service/food/amenities in other hotels that cost significantly less (various Four Seasons resorts, or the Saint Geran in Mauritius)

Room Tip: Ask for a water villa on the south side of the island, west facing. Beach villas that are close to t...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
11  Thank DKB_France

Dear DKB_France,

Greetings from The Residence Maldives,

I would personally like to thank you for taking the time to give your feedback in both Trip Advisor and the Guest Comments Card after your stay at The Residence Maldives in early December.

I am very pleased to note that you enjoyed our luxurious Water Pool Villa, well-equipped gymnasium, relaxing spa massage treatment & our indeed excellent dive instructor Ms. Sylvia.

Our goal is one of constant improvement and your feedback had indicated that we failed to provide you satisfaction in certain areas. We do regret the inconveniences you had experienced and rest assured that corrective measure had already been taken.

Once again thank you for your valuable feedback. We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to The Residence Maldives in the near future.

Warm regards,

Reviewed October 29, 2012

Went to the Maldives with my wife for her birthday. We stayed at The Residence which had recently opened. The resort was beautiful and the staff very friendly. We chose a water villa with pool and it was super relaxing staring out to the ocean from our villa. Food was great at all the restaurants. Especially enjoyed going to the beach bar after dinner to unwind with a cocktail. We visited the Spa and had a couple massage which was one of the best I have ever had. I fell asleep and apparently snored quite loud which I swear never happens! Testament to how relaxed I must have been! We got up at dawn to enjoy the sunset yoga session offered complimentary to guests. I look forward to my next visit to The Residence in Maldives.

Room Tip: If you like to snorkel get a water villa near the atoll. If you like to be close to the restaraunt a...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thomas B, General Manager at The Residence Maldives, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2012

Dear PierreOP,
Warm greetings from The Residence!
It is great to read that you had such a memorable stay with us for your wife's birthday and I thank you for taking the time to share it here on Trip Advisor.
I have shared your comments with the Team, especially Luciano our Spa Manager, who was delighted to read about your relaxing experience!
We look forward very much forward to welcoming you back to your new Residence in the Maldives in the near future.
Kind regards,

Reviewed October 19, 2012

The excellent vacation ever!!!! We had wonderful holidays, the hotel was very nice , our villa facing the sunset was very spacious , elegantly furbished. We loved the butler , very attentive to our needs. Great food and very nice and friendly service.

Room Tip: Sunset view villas are really nice!!!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank CoCo_Parisien
Thomas B, General Manager at The Residence Maldives, responded to this reviewResponded October 27, 2012

Cher CoCo_Parisien,

Thank you very much for the great feedback you have posted on Trip-Advisor!

We were all delighted to have you with us and your feedback has been shared with the whole team. Thank you as well for your comment about our Butler and the restaurant

The Residence Maldives and our Atoll are places that have a lot to offer and we are very proud that you truly enjoyed your stay!

All of us are looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Residence Maldives in the near future.

With Warm Regards,

Reviewed October 14, 2012

I have dived almost everywhere in the world and believe me the dive spots here are simply the best!!!!
The sealife is in abudance and the corals are in fantastic condition. I was told that most of the dive sites here are still virgins.
On one of the dives i saw everything....The white tip sharks, mantra rays, eagle rays, huge yellow fin tuna, turtles, eels etc etc.
At one point i did not know which direction to look and where to follow.....
Man and this was not just it....on the way back on the boat we were being followed by a school of "SPINNER DOLPHINS". WOW! it just could not have got any better.

Apart from the diving, the dining experience is excellent in the resort. I had a great time hogging on all the goodies they make here in the restaurant.
The wait staff as mentioned on a lot of other reviews is just excellent!!! I will like to thank Kobid, Hafiz, Kartik, Loli, Shazly, Gagan.....all of them were just excellent. Thank you!
Falhumaa specially is a very very good restaurant. You can take that restaurant out of the Maldives and put it anywhere in europe or America and the restaurant will stand out.
Good value for money wines are available at a very fair price.

Rooms are very confortable and are maintained very well. I did try to make some mess in the room but everytime i came back it was spotless again.

Clarins Spa was very nice. I had only one massage but i was transported to Heaven, as the name rightly said...

Overall, I had an amazing holiday.....The highlight ofcourse was THe DIVE!!!!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank travelleroady
Thomas B, General Manager at The Residence Maldives, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2012

Dear Travelleroady,

First of all, I would like to thank you for taking the time to write about your wonderful experience, it was a pleasure having you as guest of The Residence Maldives.

I am very pleased to read that you have had a wonderful stay with us, and experienced some great dives. I do thank you for your positive feedback on our resort and services.

I reiterate my sincerest thanks for your trust in The Residence Maldives and look forward to welcoming you again in a near future.

With warm regards,

Reviewed October 12, 2012

Ideally located from the Kodhoo airport with only 10 mnts comfortable speed boat journey. Even though the airport has much to be desired of...

Arrival experience was fantastic and prompt check-in with a delicious welcome drink.

Rooms are very luxurious and spacious, especially enjoyed the pool a lot. Always kept neat and tidy and every evening you treat yourself to small little cookies!

Dining facilities are excellent, especially the wait staff. Always prompt and willing to do whatever it takes to make you happy.

Had some great meals at the Falhumma restaurant, which is highly recommended. The food, the service, the legend....it has all ingredients to make a special evening.

Beach bar is a cool place to unwind and spin on a few delicious cocktails. By the way i loved the music selection playing at the bar.

Buggy transport has been an issue, as a lot of other reviews have stated. But honestly i never saw even one buggy standing idle, they were always on a move. I think the management needs to consider getting a few more to cope up with the number of requests.

Spa by Clarins was amazing, had a great experience and will recommend it highly.

Be aware that the beach on the north side of the island has a lot of rocks and strong current.

Me not being a water sport person, did not use it much....

I had a very nice and a relaxing honeymoon, would highly recommend the resort!!!!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Jaanuxi
Thomas B, General Manager at The Residence Maldives, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2012

Dear Jaanuxi,

First of all, I would like to thank you for taking the time to write about your wonderful experience, it was a pleasure having you as guest of The Residence Maldives for your honeymoon.

I am very pleased to read that you have had a wonderful stay with us, and I do thank you for your positive feedback on our resort and services.

With Warm Regards

Reviewed October 11, 2012

It was our frst tym in maldives and i think it coudnt have been better. it was truely a magnificent stay, long enough to fully njy and decide that it is a plc to go back to whenver it's possible again and again !!!!
If i talk about the rooms and especially the VILLAS they r just too gud...cnt ask for better , lovely sun beck, coffe maker, mespresso and also loved the spcl feature f i -phone doking station icing on da cake was da service provided by t lovely staf ova thr.....da smiling faces nd the overwhemingggg warmth shown by ech nd every staff member startng frm reception to da persn who cleaned our room... v njyed holding hands and walking on da sandy pathways plus da club car rides made as feel as if v wer actually a celebrity. the best instance to quote was vn da club car driver just jumped out f da car to put da covers on as soon as it statred raining...wch is a very good gesture to witness the guest care.
we fell in luv once agn and is was like a movie and thy made us fell lik da stars. truely amzing gesture and special mention to da reservation dept for arranging our transfers as soon as we landed in male.....n hw can we forget to mention da delicious crab cakes yummmieeee... hope to c ya guys once agn....our stay ws typical residence style..........

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank elenadcruse

Dear Elenadcruse,

I thank you for your very positive feedback about your stay at The Residence Maldives and appreciate you taking the time and posting your observations on "Trip Advisor".

We are very pleased to read that you have had a wonderful stay and have enjoyed our services.

We reiterate our sincerest thanks for your trust in The Residence Maldives and look forward to welcoming you in a not too distant future.

With Warm Regards

Thomas Barguil

Also consider these accommodations in or near Falhumaafushi
Outrigger Konotta Maldives Resort
Outrigger Konotta Maldives Resor...
#3 of 3 in South Huvadhoo (Gaafu Dhaalu) Atoll
Robinson Club Maldives
Robinson Club Maldives
#1 of 1 in Villingili
Dhevanafushi Maldives Luxury Resort Managed by AccorHotels

Been to The Residence Maldives? Share your experiences!