“Sushi is excellent”

Dining options: Reservations
Vernon, Connecticut
“Sushi is excellent”
Reviewed March 5, 2014

We don't asoften as we would like,but it is one of our favorite places.
We usually get the Love Boat sushi/sashimi platter .It comes on a wooden boat platter and the presentation is beautiful.
Highly recommend.

• Visited February 2014

Manchester, Connecticut
“OKI just OK!”
Reviewed February 5, 2014

Spur of the moment our 12 family members decided to purchase several Groupon deals and head over to the OKI Asian Bistro in Vernon, CT. At first glance it doesn't stand out much from the other strip mall stores since the restaurant had a dark facade and for a moment I actually didn't think it was open. However, once inside the restaurant seemed clean and welcoming. There were not many customers for the 5:30 dinner hour but several other persons showed up about a half hour later. We chose to eat hibachi and we were escorted to a table/section of our own. We were celebrating my granddaughter's 7th birthday and wanted her to have a good time. Our waitress was very attentive and did much to accommodate our mixed requests from forks for the kids to separating our checks among 4 groups. We ordered a variety of meals, all hibachi, we found the food to be extremely salty (I know it's hibachi!) my order of fillet mignon was absolutely tender and delicious, the scallops, however, seemed to be the frozen, manufactured kind, all equally proportioned, and salty and tasteless. I eat scallops frequently and know the difference! The stir fried veggies, two shrimp, soup were all typical and too salty. Small salad again typical iceberg. Someone else ordered a tuna roll and found that good. The noodles they served absolutely looked and tasted like spaghetti and again a lot of soy sauce with no other taste. Main ingredient all over, soy sauce. The chef needs to be more creative taste wise. The kids enjoyed the "show" with the flaming volcano and the plastic little boy bottle that pees on the fire to put it out! Twice during the night staff turned on the Happy Birthday tape, the dual disco balls and the light show that bounced happy smiley faces off the walls, ceiling and floor with other weird pictures intermixed. The kids loved it but I wonder if they do this for adult birthdays too! WEIRD! Overall atmosphere was strange since each chef did exactly the same cooking show display of throwing utensils in the air, clanging and banging, setting the grill on fire, pulling out the peeing bottle boy and saturating the food with soy sauce. My husband ordered a Long Island Iced tea as his drink and obviously the bartender had never made one before, EVER! I stayed safe with a coke which was refreshed by the waitress, which I did appreciate. At the end of the night, the waitress brought over fried vanilla ice cream and bananas for our little birthday girl which we all shared, it was good! Overall, I would give our first experience a mediocre rating although our waitress did her best to see we had a good time! I know my husband and I won't go back but other members of our party would, so we are split in our opinion of this restaurant.

• Visited February 2014
Vernon, Connecticut
“A gem close to home”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

We have been here twice and have enjoyed it both times.
Had the Love Boat the last time we came.Lovely presentation,fresh and delicious.
Sushi is not in our budget on a regular basis;but when it is we go to Oki.
Staff is very nice as well.
Check it out!

• Visited October 2013
South Windsor, Connecticut
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Hidden Sushi Gem”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

This is one of our favorite mid week stops.
We often get coupons and so it is inexpensive for 2.
The sushi is always fresh, and the service is attentive and respectful.
We always seem to get a little some thing extra from the manager - Plum wine or a taste of the new app.
I hope you try it.

• Visited December 2013
New York City, New York
“hibachi dinner and show was good”
Reviewed January 3, 2014

Food was good!! We had the hibachi steak and chicken. Good tasting and plenty of it. Soup, salad and rice/veggies was good too. The show of flipping around the utensils and food was entertaining. All the employees did a good job and the price wasn't too bad.

• Visited January 2014

Been to Oki Asian Bistro? Share your experiences!