“Fine for a quick stop over”
Review of Days Inn Vernon

Days Inn Vernon
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Vernon
Hartfield, Virginia
“Fine for a quick stop over”
Reviewed July 30, 2012

First thing you see when you drive up is someone had ran into the over hang over the lobby area and the trash was still laying on the ground.
There's caution tape with a cone you have to drive around to get to the rooms, because the driveway is caving in.
There the remains of what looks like landscaping around the building that's now just weed beds.
Two planters on the side of the walkway just full of weeds.
The hallways and stairs were stained and had not been vacuumed in weeks.
A plastic bag of trash sitting beside the door you have to go through to get to your room.
The room looked clean and it was very large, and there was no road noise.
No desk, no coffee pot, microwave or ref. in the room.
A whole lot of money for a run down place.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Plano, Texas
Reviewed July 17, 2012

I was a little surprised by the quality of the motel considering the price I paid and the fact that it is a "pet friendly" hotel. It is obviously older and shows its age on the outside of the building. The rooms are basic and come with either a patio or balcony. The second floor room I had also featured a vaulted ceiling and seemed to be quite a bit larger than the average hotel room. One fun feature of the hotel was a bank of light switches above the nightstand allowing the guest to control almost of the lights from the bed. It's a nice feature if you have to get up in the middle of the night. Another interesting and welcomed touch was a plug adjacent to the switches so I could charge my cell phone easily and without digging behind furniture. I really wish more motels today had these sorts of features. The pool area lacked landscaping but was large for a motel and perfect for swimming. I found it to be clean and refreshing after a day of moving.

There were some operational and maintenance issues: The initial keys did not work so we were assigned a different room. It seems the lock on our first room had a low battery and there was nobody around to check. The light above the sink outside the bathroom didn't work and a bulb was missing from a fixture inside the bathroom. I was surprised to find an in-room safe then I noticed the control was ripped completely off leaving exposed wires. Housekeeping never made it to our room on the second day leading to a towel shortage. There were also some opportunities for improving cleanliness (especially in the corners) in the bathroom. The good news was that the staff was friendly and helpful without fail and responded to our requests.

With the rate I paid for the room, I expected far worse and was pleasantly surprised by the room. I'd have no problems staying there again.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms feature a balcony and vaulted ceiling. Pool view rooms catch a lot of morning sun...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Silver Spring, Maryland, United States
Reviewed July 14, 2012

We only stayed for one night and were pleased with the experience. We were greeted by a friendly & polite receptionist, who let us tour the rooms before checking in. We had no problems at check-out. We did not meet the notorious manager who was described by other reviewers.

Other reviews describe the rooms as dirty, decrepit, or smelly. Our room was clean, with no smells/holes in the walls. All the amenities typically found in a 3-star hotel were available and functioning properly. We got a non-smoking single w/ king size bed. Other reviewers should note what kind of room they're reviewing (single/double/smoking/suite/etc). The hallways smelled of cigarette smoke, but the smell did not enter the room.

A few other reviews complain about the lack of breakfast options. They advertise a continental breakfast, and that's what was provided: don't expect eggs, bacon, sausage, pancakes, etc. because that's not what a continental breakfast consists of, and that's not what you paid for.

My only two complaints were: 1) the pillows were too big and the bed was too hard, but I suppose that's a personal preference, and 2) the wifi signal was weak (I did not attempt to resolve either items with the staff because I didn't need either).

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Ohio
Reviewed May 31, 2012

I usually book through Travelocity, however, we were returning home and weren't sure where we were going to stop. We called the HOJO reservations and were setup with the one in Vernon. As we had stayed at two other HOJOs on this trip, we were disappointed in this one.
The room was fairly clean and there were no bedbugs. It had the basic amenities, free internet, continental breakfast. The breakfast didn't have any protein just the usual compliment of sugar, sugar, sugar. Of course there weren't enough outlets in the room. The restaurant next door was open 24/7 however, it was very pricey for the area.
We definitely won't stay there again.

Room Tip: bring your own power bar for your electronics
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Vernon hotels

Longboat Key, Florida
Reviewed May 9, 2012

We were apprehensive when we pulled up because the hotel is very seedy from the outside; however, the room was very clean and comfortable. We were traveling with our two cats and really don't expect much from a pet friendly motel, but we were pleasantly surprised.

Room Tip: Very good if you are traveling with pets.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Stratford, Connecticut
Reviewed March 24, 2012

This was by far the dirtiest hotel I have ever been in. Hotel needs a complete renovation. Windows were boarded up with plywood and security door didn't work. I'm not sure why I was given a key for entry. There was a funky smell in the corridors and room. The bathroom had a hole in the ceiling in the shower that was boarded up and nasty. Rugs were disgusting. Also, they didn't honor the coupon that was on the internet due to lack of availability, even though there were only a dozen cars in the parking lot. The continental breakfast was inadequate but there is a diner right next door. Very disappointed in the Howard Johnson brand. There are other options in the area wish I had chosen one of those.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed November 17, 2011

I was happy with the cheap price. The front desk manager was one of the rudest people I have ever met. When we first arrived he answered a call in the middle of processing my payment and took his time talking for 10 minutes while I stood their waiting. That was the initial trun-off. The second thing he did wrong was call about 4 minutes after check out time to tell us it was past check out time. And the third thing was being falsly accused for having ashes on the nightstand. Ya...as I waited for my deposit back he asked me why their were ashes on the nightstand. I said, that's ridiculous, we were not smoking in the room! And he went on an on about ashes. As he handed me my deposit back he told me to never book their again and never come back. I told him he should work on his customer service skills. What a joke!!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vernon
Red Roof Inn Hartford - Vernon
Americas Best Value Inn - Manchester
Baymont Inn & Suites Manchester - Hartford CT
Extended Stay America - Hartford - Manchester
Hampton Inn & Suites Hartford-Manchester
Residence Inn Hartford Manchester

Been to Days Inn Vernon? Share your experiences!