“worst food and service in the area”
Review of Lotus - CLOSED

Cuisines: Vietnamese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 20, 2012

I have not had such horrible food coupled with lousy serrvice in such a long time- if ever.
I live in the area and have been wanting to come here because of the great reviews, Its too bad, since I so wanted it to be a favorite, I generally love vietnamese food.
We had soup that was nice and light, not to much flavor, along with spring rolls that came out dripping in old oil. Both were served to us by an older waitress who never even looked at us! But the entrees were delivered to us in a timely fashion,and to credit the cook, my husband's barbeque beef dish was nice, I wouldn't put an exclamation point on it though. My entree consisted of a greasy rice pancake filled with a tasteless mixture of bean sprouts, maybe a tablespoon or two of ground meat (pork) and about 3 small shrimp. The extra sauce could not help this dish. Never did a waitstaff even glance over our way to see our empty wine glasses, they all seemed to be milling about in circles though.
When anyone DID notice us, the check came quickly,
I have never been so disappointed in BOTH service and food in one place!
I left with literally a bad taste in my mouth.....

1  Thank anniem4690

Reviewed February 3, 2012

We have been going to the Lotus for over 20 years. Still one of our favorites (and we've been to a few !) Excellent, unmatched and consistent dinners with a attentive staff. Try their Shaking Beef or Almond Chicken.

1  Thank Recumbent
Reviewed September 11, 2011

I have been going to the Lotus for years. Recently, there's been a noticeable step down in quality. The portions appear to be smaller and the quality lower. For example, the spring rolls, a long time favorite of mine, taste and look to contain more pork fat filler; the lemon grass chicken was long on vegetables and short on chicken. The owner is friendly to a chosen few patrons but abrupt with others and mostly stays out of sight. Overall, the meal was disappointing, particularly as the opposite was true in the past.

3  Thank TravelerConnnecticut
Reviewed July 28, 2011

Year after year this is my favorite restaurant in Connecticut! Some of my favorites are the Pork Over Rice Noodles, Shaking Beef, Spring Rolls, Chicken Rice Soup, Flan, and Apricot Moka cake! I think the reason I love this restaurant is that everything is cooked fresh and is NOT overpowered/swimming in oil as most Asian restaurants are. The cooking style is perfect for my palate. If you want to taste the food and the flavors, eat here.

We have celebrated just about every occasion here. My husband proposed here! My sister's graduation was here. Every Mother's Day, Birthday, Anniversary, it is our first choice! The prices are downright cheap compared to other high-end restaurants in the state. As the sign outside says, this is "Fine Dining".

The only drawback to this small place is that it is family owned, by a family that values their time off. It is only open 5 days a week for dinner. I have seen the sons of the owners grow-up and have kids of their own. Your server is likely to be a son or grandson of the original owners.

1  Thank Brygida_2008
Reviewed November 14, 2010

I've had just about everything on the menu over the years, And I have never had a bad meal! Delicately flavored, never overseasoned, not heavy or greasy. Highly recommend to travelers and locals alike.