“Going Downhill”

Cuisines: Vietnamese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed September 11, 2011

I have been going to the Lotus for years. Recently, there's been a noticeable step down in quality. The portions appear to be smaller and the quality lower. For example, the spring rolls, a long time favorite of mine, taste and look to contain more pork fat filler; the lemon grass chicken was long on vegetables and short on chicken. The owner is friendly to a chosen few patrons but abrupt with others and mostly stays out of sight. Overall, the meal was disappointing, particularly as the opposite was true in the past.

3  Thank TravelerConnnecticut

Reviewed July 28, 2011

Year after year this is my favorite restaurant in Connecticut! Some of my favorites are the Pork Over Rice Noodles, Shaking Beef, Spring Rolls, Chicken Rice Soup, Flan, and Apricot Moka cake! I think the reason I love this restaurant is that everything is cooked fresh and is NOT overpowered/swimming in oil as most Asian restaurants are. The cooking style is perfect for my palate. If you want to taste the food and the flavors, eat here.

We have celebrated just about every occasion here. My husband proposed here! My sister's graduation was here. Every Mother's Day, Birthday, Anniversary, it is our first choice! The prices are downright cheap compared to other high-end restaurants in the state. As the sign outside says, this is "Fine Dining".

The only drawback to this small place is that it is family owned, by a family that values their time off. It is only open 5 days a week for dinner. I have seen the sons of the owners grow-up and have kids of their own. Your server is likely to be a son or grandson of the original owners.

1  Thank Brygida_2008
Reviewed November 14, 2010

I've had just about everything on the menu over the years, And I have never had a bad meal! Delicately flavored, never overseasoned, not heavy or greasy. Highly recommend to travelers and locals alike.

Reviewed April 3, 2008

Excellent cuisine. Lotus is a Zaggat-rated establishment and it certainly shows, both appetizers and main course was outstanding. The dining area is a bit tight in places, but not overly so. The prices are very reasonable, especially considering the quality of the entree', main dishes are around $12-16. One recommendation; make a reservation early, the place fills up fast.