“Very disappointing experience at this hotel.”

Red Roof Inn Hartford - Vernon
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Vernon
Orrington, Maine
“Very disappointing experience at this hotel.”
Reviewed May 28, 2011

My husband and I checked in and were given a handicapped access room(which we did not need nor requested) .The room was very small as the huge bathroom took up most of the allotted space. There was only one office type chair to sit on. I went to the desk to ask about the situation and all they said was they could try to find another chair. I asked if we could move to another room that had someplace for 2 people to sit and the person at the front desk told me he didn't think they had anything but when I insisted he looked and found us another room so we moved. This one at least had a small sofa. The next problem we had was everytime we left the room when we came back our keys didn't work so we had to keep going to the front desk to have them reprogrammed. They told us it was something we were doing!
We had another couple join us for the second night and when we met them for the breakfast they were out of most of the foods and we were told the manager forgot to order the supplies. They recommended we try the hard bagels.
The finishing inceident was when we left we accidently left some clothes in the closet. As soon as we realized it we called the hotel and was told they would get them and keep them at the front desk. When we got there they were not there and the cleaning staff told me they knew where they were, After a few minutes they were brought to us and were damp and smelly,I think they were in the dumpster! Of course the person at the front desk was not available as they were out on an errand and left the cleaning person in charge of the hotel. I have stayed at many compfort inns in the past and NEVER had some poor service. I will never stay here again or recommend this to anyone.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mckmaine

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
NY
Reviewed March 24, 2010

the staff is very friendly! it's a great place to get away for a mini vacation - great deli next door & the 99 is right down the street!!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Vernon,CT
Reviewed March 13, 2010

This Comforts Inn in Vernon ct is great I and my family are in a middle of a job tranfer and they made are stay so comfortable the rooms were clean with every thing we needed refig/micro at no extra price the bed were so comfortable house keeper'sclean your room daily and as need and they were always smiling my husband worked crazy hour's so they work around he's sleep time .........They service breakfast to everything is fresh The front desk staff made me feel like i was at home manger Hafiza Naheed what a wonderful pleasant person the hotel is not fancy like some of the others but with the price the service you can't beat it oh and the area everthing i needed was on the strip easy acess to all major high ways i just wanted to let everyone know the hotel is worth you stopping by it's hard to find good price and good stay all in one !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
sammie2600
Reviewed February 17, 2010

I was so tired i had to pull over. Steven the Manager checked me in and went out and got me food as it was to late for delivery. I slept like a baby on a great mattress. the room was clean and comfortable. the price was so reasonable. I will stop here when I am passing thru from now on.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
CT
Reviewed February 7, 2010

I have absolutely no complaints about the hotel: it was clean and comfortable and I had no problems getting a good night's sleep. The problem I have is that I don't like to be robbed by people, and that's exactly what the owner of this hotel did. When myself and three friends checked-in, we were using a coupon which allowed for a special rate of $65 for 1 or 2 guests. The lady who checked us in (not the owner) explained that there would be an additional fee of $20 for the two extra guests. Since we know many of these "fees" are negotiable, we inquired whether they'd be willing to waive the $20 fee. The woman at the front desk agreed to do so. However, the next morning when we went to check out, the owner said that she'd have to charge us the $20. We explained the conversation we had had with HER employee, and the owner belligerently and with animosity refused to listen to anything we said. She told us she was charging the twenty dollars to the credit card and that there was nothing we could do about it, because if we tried to contest the charge with our credit card company, she would show them the coupon that said it was $65 for "1 or 2" people. She insisted that her employee would NEVER agree to the $65 fee "or else she would be fired". We tried to politely explain that her employee DID, in fact, promise the $65 fee, but the owner was completely unreasonable. If the owner had tried even SLIGHTLY to apologize or had she spoken to us in a civil tone, this incident would never have happened........we really don't care too much about $20, especially when it's being split four ways. However, the owner's surly, uncooperative attitude made us feel as if we were criminals if we balked at her demands. I can only imagine how unhelpful she would be if one of our cars had been broken into or damaged in her narrow parking lot......she probably would have told us to go [--] ourselves. If I can convince even ONE person to choose a different hotel (there are plenty of similarly priced hotels in the area), I will have taught the owner a lesson that sometimes it is less expensive to "eat" $20 than it is to irritate and insult people who know how to use a computer and talk to their friends.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank JustCNNewEngland

Travelers are raving about these Vernon hotels

Bend, Oregon
Reviewed October 19, 2009

I have stayed here several times now with no problems. While I find Comfort Inns in particular and the entire Clarion Hotels line to be in a state of rapid decline, this location is not bad. The room was clean and reasonably well appointed. I can't say the desk staff was smiling like the previous poster said, but they were certainly efficient and that is more important to me.

One note - the king suite we stayed in had 2 skylights - great if you want to be awake at dawn! The location next to Rein's deli is a plus to me - great restaurant.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Prestonsburg, Kentucky
Reviewed October 18, 2009

My check-in was in order and the staff friendly. It fell apart after that. The toilet was broken in our room and water sprayed all over. The heater/AC unit lacked a cover and vibrated all night long and we couldn't sleep. The shower had no cold water and was almost too hot to shower in. The TV was malfunctioning and the colors kept changing. During breakfast, the owners kid was runing around barefoot in the eating area.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vernon
Baymont Inn & Suites Manchester - Hartford CT
Americas Best Value Inn - Manchester
Extended Stay America - Hartford - Manchester
Hampton Inn & Suites Hartford-Manchester
Residence Inn Hartford Manchester
Courtyard Hartford Manchester

Been to Red Roof Inn Hartford - Vernon? Share your experiences!