“Beautiful Hotel”

and up
Mohegan Sun High Stakes Casino Day Trip
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Mohegan Sun, owned by the Mohegan Tribal Gaming Authority, is one of the largest, most spectacular entertainment, gaming, dining and shopping destinations in the United States. Situated on 185 acres along the Thames River in scenic southeastern Connecticut, Mohegan Sun is home to three unique casinos, a 34-story, 1,200 room luxury hotel, a world-class spa and golf course, over 75 shops, restaurants and bars as well as three award-winning entertainment venues including a 10,000-seat Arena. Mohegan Sun is within easy access of New York, Boston, Hartford and Providence and located 15 minutes from the museums, antique shops and waterfront of Mystic Country.
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Took the family to a show at the Mohegan Sun. Upon arrival the first thing I noticed was how immaculate this place is. It not only looks clean but actually smells fresh. You are greeted by indoor waterfall that was pretty impressive. The room was nicely decorated and was spotless with a great view of the river. We were at the end of a corridor and it was very quiet. My husband found the casino part a bit confusing though which is why I only gave a 4. I would probably go back but without the kids so I could enjoy the entire place.

1  Thank boooche
MoheganSunCT, Dave J. - Social Media Specialist at Mohegan Sun, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to your return visit.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,239)
All reviews
in 19 reviews
"casino floor"
in 16 reviews

Reviewed August 11, 2013

This Casino is my favorite! The rooms & casino are very clean! They have a wide variety of places to choose from,on any budget,at any time of the day!
Had a wonderful time playing slots & also at the race book,which have huge screens for all the races! I can't think of anything negative to say, except a little problem @ Johnny Rockets staff, but they are a chain & wd not hold the Casino responsible for that bunch!! my third time visiting -I keep adding a day longer w. each visit! Good bang for yr buck @ the buffet also!! very pleased. Krispy Kreme was outstanding,friendly & fresh!!
Planning another visit in about a month!

Reviewed August 10, 2013

I live about an hours drive and have been there maybe 10 times. Here is how it works. You will pretty much loose all your money in the slots. But, if you join their players club you get quite a bit of it back in comps. So if you like comps, it is not so bad. I would say in general slots is a suckers game, but at this casino you can forget it. The jackpots relative to the size of the bet in order to win a jack pot provided you get lucky are ridiculous. In all the time I have been there I only saw one person win a jackpot and that was 800 quarters on a maximum bet of 75 cents: Big deal.

Many of the slots are designed to entertain you while taking your money.

With that said they will comp you free slot play, concerts, and sometime hotels rooms. It appears to be about 40-60% of what you will loose. They have a 10000 seat arena so often you will get free seats, but they will be usually in the upper balcony. It depends on how much the show sells.

They also have a mall. Unfortunately I have found the high end restaurants in the mall to be sub-standard. You can use your players club points anywhere including any mall store.

I for one am going to take my comps and no longer play the slots.

1  Thank J S
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Better experience than Foxwoods. More atmosphere, better dining options and more ambiance. Also great concert venue.

See more reviews
Reviewed August 10, 2013

We stayed at Mohegan Sun and loved it! Our room was very clean and spacious, big enough for 2 adults and 2 teens for a weekend trip. The bathroom and closet were large, the beds were comfortable, and the room included a hairdryer, iron/ironboard, coffee pot and "free " wifi (the wifi cost is part of their "resort fee"). Our room (#2007) was on the 20th floor and had a beautiful view of the Thames River and "countryside." The lobby and atmosphere of the hotel in general was very nice and the staff was friendly. I was a little concerned my teens would get bored after 3 days, but we found plenty of activities to keep us busy when we were not in the casino. We enjoyed the indoor pool, which was not crowded, the shops, arcade and there were many restaurants to choose from. As vegans, it is often difficult for me and my husband to find anything to eat in a resort, but I had plenty of choices at Mohegan and we enjoyed everything we ate. My kids are steak, burger and chicken eaters, and they said their food was good too. We ate at Johnny Rockets (the same as any other Johnny Rockets), Geno's Fast Break (son had a Buffalo Chicken wrap and said it was good), SolToro Tequila Grill (excellent Mexican food for a chain style restaurant), Frank Pepe Pizza (great tomato pies, a long line at dinner!!), Krispy Kreme (several locations at the Resort, my kids had donuts from the main location were they actually make the donuts) and Starbucks. We traveled with friends who ate at Margaritaville and they said the serivce was slow and the food was only "okay." There were several casinos within the resort, but we did not prefer one over another. It is definitely worth walking around and exploring the casino level. My husband went to a concert at the Arena and thought it was a great place to see a show. On check-out day his favorite band was playing (which he didn't know until we had arrived the first day), and if we didn't have to get home, we would have stayed an extra night so he could attend the show. Overall, we will definitely be back!

It sounds like you had a fun family trip! We're happy we could help make your visit a memorable one. Thank you for taking the time to leave us this review - we hope to see you again soon.