“Fantastic!!!”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Uncasville
Northern New Jersey
“Fantastic!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2006

What a place!! Me, my daughter, my friend and her daughter came to Mohegan Sun on February 16, 2006 for the INXS concert. The concert was excellent. Mohegan Sun is an amazing place..loved the architecture and the overall design of the building. We found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. The hotel was very clean (we were especially impressed by how shiny the lobby floors were) and the room was very nice. We had a quick dinner at Johnny Rockets before the concert and we went to Fidelias the next morning for breakfast. The food and service in both restaurants was very good. We will definately be going back. My husband and I have tickets for the April 30 Cirque Dreams show..looking forward to it.

• Stayed February 2006
4 Thank Karen D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (624)
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2006

I just wanted to say that my husaband and I have stayed at the Sun numerous times. We have always had a great time. We,ve even brought our daughter along because she loves to go there since we live close by. It,s what you make of it! There,s so much to do. I can,t wait to go again.

• Stayed May 2004
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Hoboken, NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2006

My friend and I stayed at the Sun 3/27-3/30. I had really low expectations. I live in NJ, so part of me thought it was silly to take a vacation in Connecticut. I was wrong. We had a fabulous time! Feel free to email me with any questions.

The hotel: Better than I expected. We had reserved a room back in January for this month, but were not able to get in on any deals. We were told we'd have a nice room with a view on a high floor, however. Last week, I discovered that there was going to be a special for at least one night we were there, and when my friend called, the hotel did give us the deal. The only glitch was that when we arrived, they gave us a room on a lower floor, but when we discussed it with the desk clerk she put us back on a high floor (27). However, when we got to the room, which was supposed to be nonsmoking, the room reeked of smoke and we discovered hidden cigarrette ashes. We called the front desk immediately and were offered an air filter, but when we pressed they did change our room to one just down the hall. This room was fine. It was very clean and had an even better view of the river. (My pictures do not lie. It really looks like that.)

My only other complaint about the hotel is that I had taken the train and the bus to get there, and when I arrived there was no one at the bus to take my bags or lead me to the hotel, so I had to traipse through the casino with my bags in search of the hotel. Mind you, the two casinos they have are HUGE.

Also, when we finally did check in, no one offered to bring our bags to the room. We had a feeling they were not as fully staffed during the week as they are on the weekend. Nor did they give us an orientation for our room, which became an important issue because they don't have the standard "Do not disturb/please make up the room" door hanging--there's a lightswitch instead which turns on and off an indicator in the hallway. This became a crucial issue when we went for almost an entire day without having our room cleaned.

BUT, that said, staying during the week is the way to go. We practically had the place to ourselves. The pool, which is small but very nice, was hardly used. And the hot tub was lovely. There's a nice little bar in the pool area with the friendliest bartender who makes yummy frozen drinks. Also, she walks around and offers everyone free bottles of water.

The restaurants: FABULOUS. Each night got progressively better. The first night we ate at Tuscany, inside the waterfall. I have certain dietary restrictions, and when we discovered that there was very little on the menu that I could eat, the waitress, rather than let me walk out of there and go to another restaurant, went out of her way to offer me alternatives. The chef modified one of the delicious entrees to suit my needs, and it turned out to be such an enjoyable meal. (Also, they have the best bread with bean dip.)

The second night we ate at Longhouse and had delicious steaks. The chocolate dessert was amazing. Again, we were treated so kindly.

The last night we ate at Rain. Rain is gorgeous, with plush seating and a beautiful glass wall of water. The service was outstanding. The food was...well, I can't even describe it, it was so good. Eat there. Trust me.

Avoid the buffet. The food ---, at least for lunch. Two good lunch options are the Cove, which has a sampling from the menus of Longhouse, Pompeii and Caesar, and Bamboo Forest, and Fidelia's, which has good regular food--very good breakfasts. We couldn't even finish, they gave us so much food.

For drinks, go to Leffingwell's. We didn't discover this until the last night, but we went twice--once before and once later that night, it was so good. It's built into the marble mountain in Casino of the Sky and it affords a 360 view of the casino. There are plush, overstuffed chairs throughout, and little intimate nooks to cozy up to your date, if you have one. The martinis are excellent.

The gambling: Mohegan Sun does not have a poker room. Pai Gow is huge there, and we didn't see too many regular blackjack tables. Something called Spanish 21 seems popular instead. There are a decent number of craps and roulette tables (beware the roulette wheel, however--I got hit in the mouth by the roulette ball and was offered no compensation). And of course, there are slot machines galore.

Shopping: The stores are so-so, but there are better shopping options off-site. Do check out Odyssey, however, for the built-in fish tanks.

We did take a little detour to Foxwoods one afternoon and while it certainly is enormous, I would not stay over there. It didn't seem as nice as Mohegan Sun. MS is definitely for the older crowd and it seemed that there were way more young people at Foxwoods, so if that's a factor for you, that's what you should know.

Most everyone who worked there was very friendly to us, and although the casino is a bit confusing to navigate, anyone we asked for help always gave it to us.

One more note: Mohegan Sun was very clean. The restrooms in the casinos were large and clean, and except for one snafu with the cleaning staff, our room was very clean.

• Stayed March 2006
21 Thank Roja
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2006

We got a deal in the mail to stay for $67 a night we thought we would give it a try,we didnt have a view but we didnt care we had a big TV and we spent most of the time gambling and eating in the different resturants we had a great time ,i really like the wolves iwish i took my camera....

Stayed September 2005
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2006

I have stayed many Sunday nights at Mohegan Sun. The rate is only $99 when you call the 800 number and reserve with your 'player club card' number. Fridays and Saturdays are $350 for that same room. Once you're at the front desk, always ask, with a smile, for a room on an upper floor at that great rate. Some 'ordinary' rooms have great views of the River so you can gaze out the window in the morning while soothing your hang-over with coffee and Alka Seltzer.
Like all big casinos, if you win, they want you to stay. Monday thru Thursday nights are good for upgrades to suites even for low rollers. The Sky Suites are fantastic. Two bathrooms, two big TVs, large living room, fantistic 190 degree river views, bathrobes, walk in closet, remote control everything, internet, live plants and great bathroom accessories.

• Stayed February 2006
13 Thank dukegreg
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2006

I have stayed overnight at the Mohegan Sun on many, many different occasions with my husband or my sister-in-law. We live in Stratford and love going to Mohegan, whether it be for an overnight or for the entire day. The rooms are very, very nice and the casinos are great. The staff in both the hotel and the casino areas are friendly,professional and helpful. We no longer have the need to travel 4 hours to go to Atlantic City. Keep up the good work!!

• Stayed October 2005
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2006

My wife and I recently spent the night at the Mohegan Sun Hotel. We found clumps of long hair in the tub and draped over the tub/shower handicap support rail. In addition the bathroom floor was dirty, particularly around the toilet bowl. We left a comment sheet when we left but have not heard anything from the hotel. It would appear that they have a housekeeping problem. We don't expect to return but if we should we would certainly inspect the room before accepting it.

12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Uncasville
Hyatt Place Mohegan Sun
Grand Pequot Tower
Grand Pequot Tower
#2 of 4 in Mashantucket
Hilton Garden Inn Mystic Groton

Been to Mohegan Sun? Share your experiences!