“Excellent stay!!!”
Review of Mohegan Sun

Mohegan Sun
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Uncasville
Reviewed December 1, 2008

Looking to get away for 1 night on Novermber 30th, I called Mohegan Sun directly to ask if I have a reduced casino rate. They gave me a rate of $79 which I quickly took (a regular room rate that same evening was $229). Upon check in I was given a room on the 24th floor. The room, although not worth $229, was extremely clean, quiet, and comfortable. Not much more I can really say. I would definetly stay here again!!!!

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank emdpetey
There are newer reviews for Mohegan Sun

Reviewed December 1, 2008

After shelling out the RIDICULOUS hotel rate, I walked into our room that was "all ready for us" except that I was exhausted and I wanted to take a nap before cruising around the casino. I peeled back the covers and the sheets were stained. DISGUSTING! I walked into the bathroom to wash my hands and there was hair in the sink. VILE. I tried to relax and headed out for the evening with some friends. We hit the club where the bar service was so slow it would have been faster to leave the casino and drive to a bar down the road than wait for service there. On top of that they over charged us - twice. Then after leaving the club at 2am, I was officially banned for life from Mohegan Sun for flipping the bird. I wasn't aware that at 2am when the club was getting out that it was a "family environment" This is the worst place I've ever stayed and I wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy. Save your money.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with friends
3  Thank IGoOnVacation
Reviewed November 11, 2008

So I read many of the reviews on this hotel and I don't see how people can't like it! I am a hotel snob and I thought this place was amazing! We had a suite that over looked the river. The room was spotless, the bathrooms huge, the service great, and the hotel was a lot of fun!

My husband and I went for a two night get away, and pretty much thought it was perfect, besides being witness to a child almost drowning in the hotel pool and having someone perform CPR on her, it was a near perfect stay. People, watch your kids when they are swimming, this was a case of someone not watching a 5 year old that couldn't swim... I did think there were way too many kids here. There is nothing for them to do as most places are 21 or over. Leave them home, the hotel is not your babysitter! We have a one-year old and cant imagine bringing her to a casino for a few days???

Michael Jordans steakhouse was great, we had a wonderful meal! Overall, it was blast ! Now, back to Mommy-Hood!

A great, well needed, weekend away at a great resort!

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JMN19701
Reviewed October 26, 2008

Stayed one night. I feel the rooms are nice, but not over the top. Best part of the room is the layout and decor of the bathrooms. I don't feel the rooms are worthy of the $525 charge for a Sat night stay. Stay on a Sunday night or weekend if your plans allow.
I had a wonderful view on the 22nd floor with the fall colors of New England in bloom.
A few oddities: Could hear the toilets flush in the rooms around me and could hear people talking. Not a very soundproof hotel given that its very new.
Check-in/check out was a breeze and the staff was very good.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled solo
2  Thank penguinman
Reviewed October 6, 2008

We stayed at the Mohegan Sun two nights, Sunday, Sept 28 and Monday, Sept 29 and spent all day & evening Tuesday, September 30 and much of the day Wednesday October 1. This was the first time we stayed here and it exceeded our expectations in every way. We were captivated with the beauty of the architecture and interior design throughout the resort and casinos. Our suite was fantastic—spacious, immaculate, stylish luxurious…top quality all-the-way. The massive solarium with pool, hot tub, food & beverage bar, and sundeck is a relaxing oasis, complete with tropical plants. Happily, the solarium is free from the chlorine smell and damp humidity that often plague such indoor facilities. Navigating the shopping, restaurant and casino areas was comfortable and easy. There are spacious pathways around the gaming areas so that you don’t have to dodge slot machines to get to dinner. The gaming tables are always just a few steps away without being in the way. The atmosphere is much more pleasant than the typical casino. The gaming floor hums and gently chimes rather than loud clanging and ringing. We found this to be much more inviting than any other casino we’ve visited. We could play or stroll around without getting tired and irritable. Also, Mohegan Sun’s air filtering system is fantastic. It was not smoky. The only time we were aware of cigarette smoke was when we were sitting right next to a smoker. There are now three casinos at Mohegan Sun—Casino of the Earth, Casino of the Sky, and the brand new Casino of the Wind; each has its own character. The Wind seems more youth-oriented with a little more noise and the lively, party atmosphere of Jimmy Buffett’s Margaritaville. Best kept secret: There is an excellent audio tour of Mohegan Sun that is available from the hotel concierge. Don’t miss this! It explains the meaning of much of the art, architecture and symbolism throughout the resort, as well as pointing out many interesting elements that might otherwise go unnoticed. It enhanced our appreciation of the resort as well as our knowledge of Mohegan history. The restaurants at Mohegan Sun were fantastic—also exceeding our expectations. Even area residents come to the Mohegan Sun for the excellent cuisine, not just to gamble. (We’ve posted favorable reviews of Jasper White’s Summer Shack and Todd English’s Tuscany on TripAdvisor.com under Uncasville, CT restaurants). The Taughannick Falls Bar at the foot of the falls is a great spot to relax, have a drink and snack on some delicious antipasti from Todd English’s Tuscany. At the Sun Terrace Pool Bar, we had a tasty vegetable wrap and drinks brought to us poolside--very handy after “working up an appetite” while lounging! The Sunrise Square Food Court was a delicious surprise; this is not your average food court. It offers made-to-order Southeast Asian fare including dim sum, sushi, congee, noodle dishes, Korean BBQ. Leffingwells Martini Bar in the illuminated crystal mountain, Wombi Rock, under the stars of the planetarium is a wonderful spot to mellow out late in the evening: espresso martinis—yum! Mohegan Sun has it own brewpub hidden away in the Race Book area of Casino of the Earth; there’s nothing special about the atmosphere but their Sachem Ale and seasonal Oktoberfest brews were good; the Mohegan Lager…not so much. Concierge service was cheerful and friendly. We were having such a marvelous time at Mohegan Sun that we decided to stay a third night. However, with a big concert in-house that evening, they were sold out. The front desk staff told us that the concierge would be glad to help us to find nearby accommodations. The concierge staff was very helpful, calling all of the nearby hotels, getting rate quotes from each, and dialing up the hotel we chose. We also got a discount at the hotel because Mohegan Sun referred us to them. Last but not least, the extent of our gambling was a little low-stakes video poker, yet the casino staff treated us with friendly courtesy and attention. We were made welcome in every way. Not only will we stay at Mohegan Sun again, we will also highly recommend it to our friends.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ted_and_Laura
Reviewed August 20, 2008

The hotel was beautiful, the staff excellent. My stay fantastic, until I went to the bathroom, looked down and saw a roach crawling near the wastepaper basket.

I emptied out my suitcases outside when I got home. I was afraid I would bring one home.

Sad...everything else was terrific.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank gisellenj456
Reviewed August 17, 2008

My husband and I stayed when the hotel was extremely busy preparing for the Rod Stewart concert the next night and there also was some sort of filming at one of the restaurants. We were delighted with the hotel exterior and lobby interior. After that, the rest is just okay. We had been trying to get a second night (even before our arrival) for our anniversary, however, no one tried to help us. They kept saying they were booked, but to check back. First, we were told that people could reserve a room and had until 6PM the day before to cancel so they would definitely have an answer by 6 PM on the day of our arrival. Then we were told that they held the rooms for their Players Club members indefinitely. So, somehow this did not make sense to us. What business would hold rooms indefinitely when you have a willing paying customer in front of you. Be aware that as more people check in, the rate goes up. First rate quoted was $209; by the time my hu sband and I decided to take the chance to stay the first night based on the 6PM deadline for the second night, the price had increased to $249. Does it concern anyone else that the hotels and airlines increase their prices on the same day based on what time you make reservation for the same seat or room? Are we more work because they have to bring in more staff? Just wondering how greedy people can get even when the economy is low.

The casino seemed to be more of a slot casino than the real casinos in Vegas and Atlantic city. Most of all, I did not feel that the hotel staff made the effort of a "quality" establishment to really assist us. They seemed to only be interested in checking in as many people as possible in the shorted amount of time; not really listening to what people were asking for. As a result, Mohegan may have made money on us for the room, but we spent about $25 at the slots and $50 at the restaurant. While they indicated we could still use the spa services the next day, we declined since we could not get a room. We decided that we would not spend one more dime in a hotel that could not provide quality service. I was actually happy to leave and go to a hotel and spa that valued their customers and had a staff who knew how to treat guests.

Our room was what we expected; maybe a little less based on the grand lobby. We ate at Big Bubba's (based on a recommendation from a friend). The food was just okay. The service was not good. There seems to be a lot of young people who have not completed Hospitality 101 training.

Overall, I would not recommend this hotel for a special occasion. We actually checked out on the day of our anniversary after my husband called again at 8 AM to see if a vacancy had opened up. Since we had mentioned the anniversary upon our arrival and several times when we called to check on the additional night, we really did expect a note, cheese/crackers, sparkling water, or something. After the 8 AM inquiry, I told my husband not to beg an establishment to take our money. Surely, another establishment would be more than happy to get $300 (room and taxes) plus spa treatment expenses from us (another $400).

We would definitely not return as it is a six hour drive and not worth the gas or the time.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Hawktown
Also consider these accommodations in or near Uncasville
Hyatt Place Mohegan Sun
#1 of 4 in Mashantucket
Fairfield Inn & Suites Uncasville
Days Inn & Suites Groton Near the Casinos
Hilton Garden Inn Preston Casino Area

Been to Mohegan Sun? Share your experiences!