“Pricey but convenient”
Review of Mohegan Sun

Mohegan Sun
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Uncasville
Reviewed April 23, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Mohegan Sun hotel a few weekends ago. We had tickets for the Muse concert and decided to turn it into a mini-getaway.

First of all, the concert arena at Mohegan Sun is fantastic. It's not a huge venue, so sight-lines are pretty good no matter where you are sitting. The show wasn't sold out, so staff were offering better seats to folks up in the nosebleeds; they didn't have to do that, and they had a really organized system for it that didn't create any chaos. (We kept our seats since we liked our vantage point!) The sound quality is amazing. Great show.

Now, on to the hotel. As others have stated, the weekend/event rates are simply astronomical, but we were willing to pay for the convenience of being on-site. Free valet parking is a nice perk, eliminating the need to haul bags from a parking garage and through the casino. Check-in staff were friendly. The room was clean and quiet, which we appreciated -- it's unusual at a casino hotel NOT to hear loud people staggering to their rooms in the wee hours. The only thing that wasn't quiet? The toilet. Another reviewer likened it to a space ship taking off. That's accurate. It's certainly an efficient toilet, but if you use it in the middle of the night you will likely wake up your traveling companion!

Bobby Flay's Bar Americain, right around the corner from the hotel elevators, was phenomenal. Service and food is on par with the Manhattan location. We also ordered late-night room service, after the concert and some gambling. The slots were not generous to us, but the portion of chocolate cake was. This delicious treat was delivered in the time frame quoted. We also ordered a pint of ice cream, which was brought up in its own ice bucket. Smart.

Bottom line: We wouldn't do this often at the rates charged, but definitely again for a concert or special weekend trip.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the river-view side if possible. Higher floors seem to be coveted too, probably be...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Redshoes56

Reviewed April 17, 2013

We stayed in a typical two queen bed room. Room was fairly spacious. There was a refrigerator, but I couldn't get it open....and there was a sign on cabinet door displaying the price for items in it.....$4 for a snickers bar. etc. We stayed away from that.....brought our own snacks. Internet connection was good...usb cord plug right on desk...nice! Bathroom...water pressure weak. Interesting set up. Sliding double doors into bathroom...large sink and counter straight ahead, to the right a shower and to the left a door with toilet in it. Not a great set up for a family of four. I would prefer the toilet and shower together and the counter and sink outside of that. There are plenty of places to shop and eat....can get costly, but not too bad. Plenty of gambling! And that is fun! The hotel pool was nice, shallow pool. Check on hours, they vary. Exercise room had a lot of equipment...10 treadmills, 6 elipicals, bikes, free weights and gym weights. Our teens had fun. I didn't gamble, only husband did. I would never think of leaving the kids unattended in a hotel room to gamble...poor parenting. It's tempting, but the wrong thing to do. There is buffet, breakfast is responsible. Lunch and dinner are more costly. This hotel would be a fun spot to get snowed in to! I didn't sleep well....it's kind of noisey. Maybe I should have put the fan or something on....we never touched the heat/ac so I don't know how that was. Coffee/tea/blow dryer in room....no refrigerator(that I could open) or microwave. Beautiful place. Would stay here again. We did this one night trip because it was free with my husbands players card and thought it would be fun for the kids to go for a swim. I did not sleep well though.

Room Tip: One side of the hotel faces the roof tops to the casino. The other side faces the river....the Rive...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Just spent the weekend at Mohegan Sun for a trade show in which I was an exhibitor. We've done this show here for the last few years and the place excellent from every perspective. The convention center works very well, the casino (even though I didn't gamble this time) is lively and well serviced and the choice stores and nourishment is excellent as well.
I think the room rates are a bit high, considering the amount of money one could potentially drop while there!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank SkipJack-Belize
Reviewed April 13, 2013

I stayed two nights Mogehan Sun and two nights at Foxwoods. Mohegan Sun won hands down if I had to choose between the two properties. Mohegan Sun is simple beautiful. The layout is very well organized. Plenty of places to eat, get a drink and gamble. The hotel room was very nice, I had a higher floor with a partial view of the river. The bed and pillows were very comfy, water pressure was really good for a nice shower.
When you enter the gaming/store area there is a huge water fall behind the lobby bar, in front is a huge sculpture that changes color, all in all just gorgeous. The people that work there were all very friendly. At check all the computers were down, they had to hand write everything. It still went pretty fast even though they had to deal with no computer. I was told they would not go back on until after 11:00 pm, which meant I could not get a players card. Of course there is no one to blame for that. They did offer a couple of free drink tickets which I welcomed! I had some good "hits" on slots but nothing spectacular. In the short time I was in CT I explored the surrounding area a little. Went to Mystic and found the original Mystic Pizza place, of course I had lunch there, super yummy. The ocean is a short drive also, about 30 min. There is a fun boardwalk area there. I am going back in August for Match Box 20/Goo Goo Dolls concert and I can't wait!
2 thumbs up Mohegan Sun!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 11, 2013 via mobile

What a great casino. Very clean!! My husband and I went to see P!NK at the arena and it was great. The seats were fantastic and the atmosphere was very pleasant I don't think there was a bad seat in the house.
After the concert we went out to gamble. We had a great time. The only negative was the bartenders didn't seem to be very friendly. It was probably an off night for them. Who would expect to be busy on a Wednesday night.
We walked out of there ahead which is always good when gambling. I would go back there in a minute!!!

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed April 11, 2013

First time at Mohegan. Wanted to take advantage of the hotel since we were going to the arena. Room was clean, great view of the river, high floor. No noise issues, comfy bed. Furniture and furnishings in good condition. Price is high. Felt some amenities should have been included for the rates charged. No robes in room, standard bath products, small safe in closet. Convenience for attending events at the arena cant be overlooked. Plenty of restaurant options, shopping, & entertainment. Pool area looked good. Spa services available. Valet parking. Appreciated complimentary breakfast buffet and joining the players club got us some free credits to play the slots.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 10, 2013

We stayed here for a conference last month. The room was very nicely decorated and fresh. The halls were well maintained. The shopping kept me busy at night. But the employees actually seemed to care about the quality of your experience. I would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
MoheganSunCT, Dave J. - Social Media Specialist at Mohegan Sun, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2013

Thanks for the great review! We definitely care about your experience and we are happy it shows!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Uncasville
Hyatt Place Mohegan Sun
Days Inn & Suites Groton Near the Casinos
Grand Pequot Tower
Grand Pequot Tower
#2 of 4 in Mashantucket

Been to Mohegan Sun? Share your experiences!