“Very good.. but..”
Review of Mohegan Sun

Mohegan Sun
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Uncasville
Reviewed November 26, 2012

The hotel is part of Mohegan Sun casino. The only reason you would really want to stay here is if you're coming to gamble or attend an event at the Mohegan Sun Arena (concert, sports event, etc.). The hotel also has an Elemis Spa, so perhaps people may also visit for this.

What I liked:
-Free valet parking.
-Staff attitude was excellent (valets, bell staff, front desk staff, everyone!) Very impressed!
-Size and layout of the room was excellent.
-The bed/mattress is very comfortable and I slept very well.
-Free wifi (in the room and public spaces) and wired internet in the room.
-Location! Dozens of restaurants, shopping and the casinos just off the hotel lobby.
-The toilet was separate from the main bathroom/vanity/shower area. Nice and practical!

What I didn't like:
-Value was not good. It was Thanksgiving and the room rate was nearly double the normal rate.
-The shower was a bathtub/shower combo with a shower curtain. Many more modern and upscale hotels have a separate stall shower and many people (including me) prefer this.

Overall, the stay was excellent. I can not say enough about how friendly and helpful all of the staff that I had contact with were.
I would give an overall excellent rating and also rate the service excellent, if it had not been for 1 incident that really spoiled it. After returning to the room at 3:00am (from a concert in the Mohegan Sun Arena) I found that my room key/card didn't work. I went down to the lobby and there were 8 people queued up at the front desk waiting, with only 2 staff behind the desk. To say that things were moving slowly would be an understatement. I waited nearly 30 minutes to get my new key/card. This is an annoyance at any time, but especially at 3:00am. Everyone online was impatient and complaining (the woman behind me was a Mohegan Sun Player's Club member and called them several times to complain and ask that more help be sent, while we were waiting. No help ever came). The entire time we were waiting, it seems only 1 of the 2 staff were handling a guest at any one time. There continually seemed to be some kind of problem that prevented them from helping the next guest. A supervisor eventually appeared, but was just standing behind the counter talking to staff and made no attempt to assist guests or even offer an apology for the wait. When I was finally helped the staff did apologize for the wait, but it was really too late at that point. Sadly, although the entire rest of the stay was excellent this is really what sticks in my mind.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank kevin0870

Reviewed November 25, 2012

Stayed here while the power was out from Hurricane Sandy, but have stayed on multiple other occasions. The rooms are nice, bathrooms are new, rooms are clean, especially since the smoking rooms are separated from the non-smoking. Keurig coffee machines in the room is always a plus!

Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank RE26
Reviewed November 24, 2012 via mobile

Even if you are not a gambler, this was a great place to stay for the weekend. I would liken it most to a cruise-ship experience without the water. Everything is interconnected from the hotel to 25 places to eat and drink to the casinos and entertainment.

I was in the property from Friday trough Sunday but never felt like I had been there for that long. There was plenty to do and see. The arena is also a great place to see basketball.

Food catered by the hotel was outstanding. Some of the best I've had anywhere in a catered buffet setting.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank RyryE
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Having stayed at Mohegan Sun Hotel many times over the past 3 or more years I regret that I sense a decline in many aspects over this period.I do gamble when there, I am not a "high roller" by any stretch of the imagination, but I did get offers of reduced rates for most nights but Fri/Sat, and some minor comps and an occasional free night. Also, the selection of eateries was substantial. These perks have been reduced a lot, particularly in the last 6 months. Many of the eateries are closed or changed unfavorably in my opinion. Or the menu selections changed and prices raised. Also the room care and service seems to have gotten worse, again my opinion. I believe increased availability nearby of other venues has caused this to occur due to less income.
I think this is the opposite of what they should be doing to keep/attract customers.

Room Tip: All rooms are still pretty good. A lot depends on who you get next door or across from you. And as...
Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank shodan1
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Went for one night for a little mental health day healing from surgery. We booked a package that included $100.00 at Bobby's Flays steakhouse , a cookbook and $20.00 free play. We have not stayed here since they opened, Room big modern and clean,Check in very pleasant. Hotel complex is very attractive. My wife enjoyed the shopping. Casinos are big and up to date.
The night was a good deal. Would stay again. I am not a big meat eater. We had Lobster and Steak @BF. Some of the best.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
MoheganSunCT, Dave J. - Social Media Specialist at Mohegan Sun, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2012

Thanks for this great review! We're happy we could be a part of your recovery. We look forward to having you as our guest again soon!

Reviewed November 20, 2012

Got to hotel around 3. The front desk clerk was very nice asked if we had a floor preference since we have stayed before we dont care about floor just non smoking. Ended up on floor 10 very nice view of the river. Nice 2 queen beds and the room was very clean. Had a very nice dinner at Ballo the Italian restaurant food was excellent will go there again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 19, 2012

I had only stayed at Mohegan once before and wanted to also try out Foxwoods MGM. I book a Directors Suite at MGM for my 30th birthday. I was so disappointed with The tatter of the room and the blah casino that I was pretty bummed. I made the best of it and enjoyed the oversized tub in the room. I checked out early and headed to Mohegan. I was able to get a Cove Suite which was amazing! It was clean and fresh and much MUCH nicer than the suite I had at MGM. The toiletries were extensive, the Kureig coffee maker was very much appreciated and the bed was to dye for. The only down fall was the tub wasn't a jacuzzi tub and it was a little smaller, but really, no big deal. I had such an amazing time and I can not wait to go back! I have booked two nights in a Sky Suite the Tuesday and Wednesday after Thanksgiving as a treat to myself to relax from a hard semester of college. The Cove was amazing and I can not wait to see what the Sky looks like! I do wish suite guests were allowed a separate check in area. Either way, this is the place to stay!!

Room Tip: Well worth the upgrade to a suite if you are looking to relax and have YOU time in your room
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Jessica S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Uncasville
Hyatt Place Mohegan Sun
Days Inn & Suites Groton Near the Casinos
Grand Pequot Tower
Grand Pequot Tower
#2 of 4 in Mashantucket

Been to Mohegan Sun? Share your experiences!