“Pleasantly Surprised”

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Uncasville
Newburgh, NY
“Pleasantly Surprised”
Reviewed August 15, 2008

I knew very little about this hotel and since we got the cheapest single room ($72.00 @ night), I expected the worst. But I was wrong! The room itself is really VERY small, hardly any room to move around, but I realize that it was nothing that anyone had any control over.
Other than that, the room was CLEAN, presentable, and attractive, and the same went for the rest of the hotel. The staff was professional yet congenial, and Mike (who drove the hotel shuttle bus to Mohegan Sun) was willing to go out of his way to make himself available to us (keep in mind that the shuttle bus only operates in the evening, though).
We only stayed the two nights, but for a short stay even this small room fits our needs perfectly. Not to mention that this hotel is only one mile away from Mohegan Sun (a five minute drive).
So knowing what I know now, this is a good alternative to more pricey hotels in the area. And I would definitely stay there again. I hope that they do keep up the good work because they have a good thing going here and I wish this hotel chain much good luck in the future.

• Liked — Cleaniness
  • Disliked — Small room size
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Norwalk, Connecticut
Reviewed June 24, 2008

This has become our favorite place when visting Mohegan Sun. It is about 2 mins up the road, and offers rooms about 1/4 the price of staying at the Casino. Let me make no illuisions that the room quality even approaches that of Mohegan sun, but the Microtel is really all most people would need for one night, especially after a few hours in a casino.
We got our room at 60$ triple a rate, and it far exceeded our expecations. I had reserved a room with 1 queen bed, but apparently they had none left, so they upgraded us to the double bed room. Which was larger and had a kitchenette. It was the best room for under 75$ I have stayed in. Very clean, quiet, good AC, ect ect. A couple of negative were that I ran into one front desk person who was very rude. The check- in clerk was fine, but later went out to inquire about a taxi and the guy had a serious attitude. But in all honesty I have come to expect running into people like that in almost all hotels these days, so it really was no big deal. One thing I would improve on is there casino shuttle times. I know that most people use the shuttle in the evenings, but alot of people come up early and would love to use the casino shuttle a little earlier. Afterall, basically everyone staying here is going to the casino.

I highly advise all casino goers to check this place out. It is very easy on the wallet and quite comfortable. If you want to really impress someone stay at the casion, but otherwise this will suit all needs.

• Liked — price, size of room, proximity to casino.
  • Disliked — Rude staff member, No casino shuttle during afternoon.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
Hartford,CT
Reviewed June 10, 2008

My husband and I agree with almost everything written by the previous reviewer (srahula). We also were attending a Mohegan Sun Arena concert, and needed an inexpensive place to stay before driving 45 miles home the next morning.

We also had a small single room with 1 queen bed, but the room was clean and we paid $76 plus taxes and fees. We had an adjoining room but luckily, it may have been unoccupied. (We did request a quiet non-smoking location when making our reservation on their website.) We opted to drive ourselves 2 miles down the road and park in the casino garage rather than use the shuttle. (Remember to note which garage, floor and section you park in, we saw concert-goers who could not find their car. Also, allow lots of extra time (30 minutes) for getting out of some parts of the garage after the concert).

Next time we go to a concert, we will definitely stay here again.

If I were alone, I would probably not want a room on the 1st floor
again, due to the large windows. Our room faced the parking lot in the front, but we did not hear any cars. The hotel is set back, (and up high) from the road, and we ran the A/C all night which probably created 'white noise'.

Our room had two minor complaints, the bathroom sink was missing the plug. This is not good if you are rinsing contact lenses or need to fill the sink with water for any other reason.
Also apparently the previous guest set the bedside alarm for 5:45 AM. When a guest checks out for good, housekeeping should
always ensure the alarm is turned off.

• Liked — Location (near Mohegan Sun), price, cleanliness
  • Disliked — Sink missing plug, alarm clock set by previous occupant
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 31, 2008

My fiance and I stayed here because our friend organzied a surprise b-day trip to Mohegan Sun for his wife.

Check-in/check-out - really fast, within 5 mins

Rooms - Our friends had a "suite" and we had a regular room. If I had a choice I would get a suite next time, especially since it was only a few dollars more. The suite had a little sitting area, a fridge, a sink, and I believe, a microwave. It also had a queen bed and a nice sitting area under the window. We all met in their room and it was nice to have the extra sitting room and the fridge to store cocktails before heading over to the casino.

Our room was pretty small. The bed was only a full size but it was above average for comfort. The room overall was clean. It was fine for our overnight stay and we only had 2 small "issues":

1. It had a connecting door to the other room which offered little to no sound reduction. The next morning we could clearly hear someone talking on their cell phone in the next room.

2. You could not keep the toilet seat to stay up. The lid would fine but the seat would not due to the shelf behind it. Not a big deal but this was not an issue in our friends room.

Location: The location is great. It is only a couple miles from Mohegan and they offer a free shuttle on Friday and Saturday. It runs to 2am and all you need to do is call them when you are ready to go. There is also a Chili's next door, a liquor store nearby, a grocery store, and a Starbucks.

So overall, it was a good stay, in a great location, that served our overnight needs. It was only $89 for the Sat night stay so you couldn't beat it for the money. Especially since Moheagn wanted $499 for the same night. I probably wouldn't recommend staying in a regular room for more than a night or two but it is fine for someone just looking for a place to sleep.

• Liked — location, free shuttle to Mohegan, price
  • Disliked — regular room was a little small
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank srauhala
boston, MA
Reviewed March 15, 2008

We were going to Mohegan Sun in Uncasville for a concert. I din't want to spend upwards to $300. to stay there. so I gave Microtel a try.
The experience was excellent. No problems with check in, the room was very clean and the 2 large beds very comfortable. The room had a TV and a coffee pot. I shut the heat off and the room stayed very comfortable all night. It was quiet and there was plenty of parking, The staff was pleasant and check out took minutes. I especially appreciate the free continental breakfast in the morning. Juice, coffee, milk, cereal, muffins and bagasls very all available.
The price 107.00. The ride to Mohegan Sun took 3 minutes and to Foxwoods the next morning, 15 minutes.
We willdefinitely stay here again.

• Liked — Cleanliness and location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Smithtown, New York
Reviewed March 12, 2008

This hotel is the BEST way to travel on a budget if you want to stay close to Mohegan Sun. The hotel was neat and clean. Free shuttle to Mohegan is provided. Free breakfast is also included. There is a shopping area behind the hotel which includes a supermarket.

The rooms are small and look like dorm rooms, but for our purpose was only to have a place to shower and sleep.

• Stayed March 2008
Wakefield, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 16, 2008

My husband & I stayed here last month when we were going to Mohegan Sun for a concert and I highly recommend it to anyone looking for an inexpensive alternative to the casino hotel.

For the rate we paid (~$75) this hotel far exceeded my expectations. We were only at the there for a total of about 18 hours and for this short amount of time I was very happy we stayed at Microtel instead of the far more expensive rooms at Mohegan. The room was clean. Check-in was very fast and they served a decent continental breakfast in the morning. We took the shuttle to Mohegan (5 minute trip or less) and on the way there only had to wait 5 minutes. On the way back we may waited 10 but it was not a big deal at all.

The only thing strange about the room was a giant tube TV precariously mounted on a downward slant on top of the closet. It looked like it would fall any minute but must have been mounted securely.

There is a Chili's restaurant right across the street from Microtel where we had dinner before the concert.

This is a hotel definitely worth investigating. It is not at all fancy but is perfect if you don't plan to spend much time in your room.

• Liked — price, location, convenience to mohegan sun
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Uncasville
Mohegan Sun
Courtyard Norwich
#4 of 6 in Norwich
Comfort Suites- Norwich
Hilton Garden Inn Preston Casino Area

Been to Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Uncasville? Share your experiences!