“Expected better...” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bobby Flay's Bar Americain

Bobby Flay's Bar Americain
Ranked #10 of 50 Restaurants in Uncasville
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Connecticut
“Expected better...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2013

We made reservations a week prior since we knew there being a convention, restaurants at the casino would be in high demand. I have to say, the place is very elegant. We were really looking forward to this dinner and it was to celebrate receiving a company award that night at our convention.

We really like the atmosphere and the staff are very professional. The menu is ok, it tries to do a little too much and probably should have more mainstream dishes. The kitchen also thinks that using more spice is necessary to make a dish which leads to some dreadful results.
I tried the "New England Clam and Sweet Potato Chowder", absolutely terrible not consumable. It showed up looking like a bowl of puréed sweet potato with two open cherry stone clams sitting in the middle. I do not eat raw seafood so lack of disclosure on that particular item was disappointing. I did try a spoonful of the chowder, and whatever the main spice was used was absolutely overwhelming. Just terrible, so I had the waitstaff take it back and no, they did not offer to remove it from my bill.
My wife started with the "Crab-Coconut" shellfish cocktail. While she felt the crab was fresh, the other ingredients tasted as though they had been pre prepared and been sitting in the cooler a few days. Very disappointing but at least edible.

We both ordered steaks for dinner, myself the rib eye with a side of "Fries Americain, Smoked Red Pepper Mayonnaise", my wife the filet with a side of "California Flat Leaf Spinach"

The steaks were excellent and my side was very good but come on, they're French fries (I only ordered them since i was afraid to try anything else after the chowder experience), the steak sauce was ok, not great. It was too spicy. The red pepper dipping sauce was good.
My wife enjoyed her filet but commented that she has had better, the spinach side she said was ok but not what she expected.

We skipped dessert and coffee.

Overall this was a very expensive not so good meal. When you're paying 12-18 an appetizer and 40+ for a steak there should be a "WOW" with every dish you try, not a "Take this away" or "It's OK" when you try it. The experience is even more disappointing when you shell out about 200 at the end and walk away feeling let down.

When we spend this kind of money on a meal it's a big deal for us and not something that's in the normal budget so we expect incredible. I guess if you have plenty of disposable income and will eat just anything it wouldn't be a big deal.

Visited April 2013
2 Thank Edmitchell66

NE USA
“Casino dining at Bobby Flay's - not so lucky, this time”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

Bobby Flay would have been disappointed, as well. It was mid week and the restaurant was not busy. We were looking forward to a quality meal.
We ordered the Fried chicken entree and were very disappointed in the dry chicken for $28. We had a couple of appetizers (Lobster & avocado cocktail and the escargot & crawfish) which were good. Overall, the experience was OK - we were expecting better than average food and service.

• Visited April 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ThePBR
Reston, Virginia
“Diverse menu, all done right!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2013

Our party chose very different entrees and everything around the table was delicious!

Buttermilk Fried Chicken tasted like Gramma used to make. The Mahi Mahi Florida style was tender and moist. The lamb chops were grilled to perfection and served rare, as ordered.

For sides, we chose cauliflower and goat cheese gratin and the creamed kale. Both were excellent!

Visited April 2013
Danbury, Connecticut
“The perfect dinner place before a show.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

Great, comfortable restaurant to visit for dinner if you come for a concert at the Mohegan Sun arena. Very nice place for seafood. Every dish represented a thoughtful creation. For example, who would think that pork chop (a single piece, but at least 3 inches thick) can be that flavorful? Must warn you, must exercise will power going through the wine list. Some of the offered wines are very expensive (and worth it). The only problem with cooking, they should go easier on salt. But more importantly, the people were very friendly. Delightful dinner!

• Visited April 2013
Somers, Connecticut
“Food is to die for!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

The food here is to die for! I had the buttermilk friend chicken and this was the best friend chicken I have ever had! Very moist and flavorful with a hint of Peppercorn spice! I could eat it all day! Can't wait to go back again!

• Visited February 2013