“Good Food & Great Value”

old towne restaurant
Ranked #1 of 71 Restaurants in Trumbull
Cuisines: American, Diner, Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: This is one of the longest running restaurants in Trumbull
Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

We eat at Old Towne 1-2 x a week. Service friendly & normally efficient, great basics (try the George's salad topped pizza-yum!), classics (mussels in lemon wine sauce over pasta is to die for), but sometimes efforts towards gourmet fall flat (fried goat cheese with cherry sauce, risotto cakes). They are happy to accommodate special requests ( potato choice for example) . The portions are huge -you can definitely get a second meal out of their delicious Penne Antonio (penne, juicy meatballs, sausage & mushrooms in red sauce). Also, the 2nd cocktail's free if you order a special. The prices are so reasonable we make this our casual go-to place often.

There are newer reviews for old towne restaurant

Reviewed March 15, 2013

I've eaten at Old Towne for the last time, after going there maybe 2-3 times on average over the past couple of years. I find myself saying, "Why do I keep coming here?" nearly every time I go these days. The answer is, it's convenient to my home and the prices are reasonable. However, the service and food is definately hit or miss. Recently, my husband & I went for lunch and arrived at 11:45. I said, "we're getting in there early, before the crowd, so we can expect attentive service". How wrong I was! We sat nearly 15 minutes before a waitress appeared. We ordered our meals - I asked for the salmon on the specials page and requested that it be cooked 'medium'. I can't gag down overcooked salmon, as it gets 'fishy' and it's dry. She dropped off our plates and ran, never to return until it was time to collect the money. I had pushed my inedible plate to the edge of our table, hoping that SOMEONE would see that I wasn't eating and do something about it! I finally had to stop the woman who seats the patrons, and asked that she send over our waitress. A different waitress came by and I explained that the salmon was not cooked as I had asked. She was polite, for sure; however at this point, husband was done eating his lunch and had to get back to work. This type of thing has happened before at Old Towne, but I am no longer patient with slow service & inattentive wait staff. To be fair, most of the food is good, although I've been served over-cooked, dried out grilled chicken on top of a salad more often than a decently cooked piece. And don't asked for anything 'blackened' - to them, cooking the food till it resembles a piece of charcoal is their idea of blackening. Ridiculous, when the owner's son Dean is a culinary school graduate. If you are lucky enough to dine there when Dean's on the premises, you'll likely get a well-cooked delicious meal.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Went here for a group meal and just overall a horrible food experience. Got the chicken souvlaki and it was awful. The chicken was dry and the pita was hard. Lettuce was soggy.

My SO ordered the fish and chips and they were just soggy.

The only reason I gave them 2 stars was because the service was good and attentive. Too bad the food isn't up to par.

Reviewed March 12, 2013

Good food, family-friendly, and reasonably priced. The menu is extensive, and the staff are friendly.

Reviewed November 4, 2012

While I wouldn't travel 10 miles to eat here, I can say that I eat here more times than any other single restaurant and I eat out twice a week or more. For me, it's convenient being only three miles from home and the food is good. The kids love it. I would say it is at least a step above the local diners and the menu isn't boring. Last night I had mussels and french fries. Not up to par with what I've eaten in Brussels, which is famous for it's moules et pomme frites, but I would certainly order them again. The sea food mac and cheese is excellent as are most of the Italian and Greek dishes and the burgers are usually great. The lobster bisque isn't fancy, but it is good. On the other hand I've had meals there that I wouldn't order again. So it is hit and miss, but usually hit especially after you get to know the menu.