“Quality? What quality?”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Torrington
Fairfax, VA
“Quality? What quality?”
Reviewed July 27, 2009

I do NOT consider myself overly picky but this was the worst Quality property I have ever stayed in. First room we were assigned smelled terrible even though it was supposedly non-smoking. There was also a hissing noise which turned out to be from a pipe right outside the door (Rm 122). Room was very dark and the ceiling so low that you could reach up and touch it. Ceiling had spots, capret was soiled, etc. Got moved to another room on the second floor. Room door was quite loose and we could not get the keys to work except about every 6th try. (Rm 219) Ceiling was higher and it did not smell bad but the tub was filthy and carpet very worn. After trying several sets of keys including master keys, we asked maintenance to fix. Supposedly they did, and when we returned from dinner the window was slightly ajar and the drapes were open. We still could not get into the room so we asked to be moved once again. Third time was almost a charm (Rm 227) Keys worked some of the time, there was enough light, and there was a small refrigerator and microwave. Carpet, chairs, walls had stains and small holes in the walls. What DO people do in motel rooms?? Beds- fair. Unless you are stranded in a blizzard do NOT stay here. Did not even try the pool or fitness room since we wasted over an hour just trying to get settled into a room where the basics worked and did not smell.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Portland, ME
Reviewed June 26, 2009

I went with friends for a wedding and we were required to stay there. While most of us would sleep on a rock for our friends getting married, I wouldn't stay here again. It was awful. My room, and everyone else’s, reeked of smoke and I woke up coughing often. I stayed two nights and apparently that was too much for my immune system to take. From breathing in the awful smoke and possible mold I now have bronchitis, something I have never had in my 28 years. Staff was overall rude, not helpful and if you have to stay here, for whatever reason, may a recommend opting for anything else, perhaps a nice rock.

• Stayed June 2009

Travelers are raving about these Torrington hotels

MA
Reviewed June 17, 2009

On 9/1/08, my wife and I, who are seasoned travelers, checked into the Quality Inn & Suites in Torrington, CT. Our reservation/confirmation number was 56974416. This reservation was made on 8/21/08.
The first room we were assigned was next to a noisy laundry room around back of the motel. The room smelled musty. The bathroom had a large round (the size of a basketball) mildew/moldy patch on the ceiling above the tub. The room, although marked “Non Smoking”, smelled of stale smoke.
We requested another room, and were assigned one in a dark corner, which also smelled musty. This room too smelled of smoke even though it was “Non Smoking”. It also had a loose toilet seat that almost slid me onto the floor after snapping my back when I sat on it shortly after entering the room.
The third room assigned to us at first seemed acceptable. However, after being in the room for a short time, it became obvious that this room was terrible as far as our comfort and convenience were concerned. I have listed some of the things wrong with this room.
Bathroom
The bolts that were holding down the toilet were sticking up out of the floor about two inches, with no caps on them. This could cause someone’s foot to be cut open. The water level in the toilet was so high that it came in contact with one’s skin upon sitting on the seat. The tub had mold around most edges and joints, there were large chips in the porcelain, and the shower curtain was slimy. The floor had cracked and broken tiles. The sink was broken away from the wall and was sloping forward so nothing could be put on the back or the edges of the sink. The woodwork and door were scratched and stained.
Bedroom
The carpet was stained and dirty. There was much dust behind the nightstands and under the desk. The windows were dirty, the iron holder was broken out of the wall, there were cobwebs on the walls, the upholstery on the stuffed chair was ripped, and the drapes were such that they blocked the air from the AC.
Outside
The ice machine was located on a very small, unlit room accessible from the parking lot. I was most uncomfortable that the room was so dark, since there had been a couple of unsavory looking people sitting on benches around the parking lot when we checked in while it was still daylight.

In conclusion, we spent a most uncomfortable night at this facility. Based on this experience, we will not stay at another Choice Hotel ever again.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
North Wales
Reviewed April 12, 2009

I am a frequent Choice Hotel customer and had a pleasant stay at the Quality Inn and Suites in Torrington,Connecticut.I was traveling with my coworkers,which was a group of five.We had stayed for a total of four days and two of the days,we had a meeting in the meeting room that is part of the hotel.It was very nicely set up,a comfortable atmosphere throughout the hotel.Very clean,staff is more than helpful to answer all questions,as well as very responsive and knowlegeable.The free continental breakfast was more than wonderful and provided up with a great start to our day and throughout our days,I enjoyed the free coffee in the hotel lobby which is available at any time of day.The wireless internet was also very fast which helped throughout our stay so that I could finish my work.Our company will be sending us back to the Connecticut area a few more times and we have already submitted that we would like to stay at the Quality Inn.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
New York., NY
Reviewed February 16, 2009

We had to check into three separate non-smoking rooms in this hotel, because the first two smelled of cigarette smoke. Floors were stained with ??? No continental breakfast, even though the description here stated there was one, Only coffee in the room and at the front desk. We passed up the Days Inn to stay here, and that may have been a mistake.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
Lancaster, PA
Reviewed December 27, 2008

We just returned form Christmas with the family in Thomaston, CT. We've tried several hotels in the area and since we are Choice hotel members, thought we should try this one. Since it had snowed, but was now raining very hard, we thought the snow could have been cleared. There was ice on the parking lot throughout our three day stay, and we had to carry a baby in a carrier and other baby gear as well, so slipping on ice was a safety issue--irregardless of baby. The crib supplied by the hotel was totally unacceptalbe. There were large, sharp bolts sticking out, which we covered with masking tape, but we were lucky to have grandparents, who brought a play and pack the second night. The microwave had crumbs on it from previous travelers, and noticeable fingerprints. The phone was filthy with greasy residue, and the refrigerator was also stcky inside on the bottom. The sheets looked clean, but the duvet looked like it needed laundered. Some towels were more gray than white.
The breakfast room was poorly equipped--there was no orange juice at 8:30 in the morning--they ran out and wouldn't replace it. We were offered apple juice. The waffle maker was crusted with previous waffles, and spray oil was just added over the residue of the previous uses. The waffle mix itself was separated and lumpy--very unappetizing. We went to Dunkin' Donuts nearby.
On the morning we were to check out, we left for breakfast and returned at 9:20 AM to find that our room had been cleaned already, although we had not checked out. I found this to be totally unacceptable. Do not stay here! We'll be looking for a different hotel in the Thomaston area.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — The dirty walls, utilities, and linens
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
Milwaukee
Reviewed September 11, 2008

I didn't really have a choice...my company had booked this hotel. My company doesn't really do a good job doing research before booking hotels. As I pulled up, It didn't look too bad from the outside besides it looks like a motel, not a hotel. Very deceiving!! The entrance to your room is located on the outside, doesn't seem very safe does it? As I entered the room, it reminded me of the 70's and was screaming for a facelift. It did smell like animal, or smoke, not able to air out. Because once again there is a window but it's probably not the safest to keep it open since someone could potentially break in. The lighting is dingy and I had a broken toilet. I guess my overally experience wasn't too pleasant. I just didn't feel safe and the continenal breakfast wasn't great. They had bananas that looked like they've been sitting there for two weeks and they didn't get new one's and I was there the entire week. One night I arrived back late at night to find about 15 cops surrounding the area. I questioned and found out there was someone by the hotel that they were searching for.... a little scary! Good luck, I wouldn't take a chance.

• Liked — internet connection and close to work location
  • Disliked — the uncleanliness feel to the building and room along with the unsafeness
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Torrington
BW Premier Collection The Litchfield Inn
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Bristol, Connecticut
White Hart Inn
White Hart Inn
#1 of 1 in Salisbury
Avon Old Farms Hotel
Hampton Inn & Suites Hartford/Farmington
Grace Mayflower Inn and Spa

Been to Rodeway Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!