“Should've stayed in the pen with the dog!”

Rodeway Inn & Suites
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Torrington
Reviewed July 12, 2012

We recently drove to Torrington to pick up our new puppy from the breeder. We new that choosing Quality Inn would mean more basic accommodations, but the trip was going to be a quick in-and-out, so we thought basic would be just fine.

The up side: staff are very pleasant. The pool and work out room are surprisingly nice (fairly large pool and 11 work-out stations).

The not-so-up side: I can't say the place was dirty, but saying it is "shabby" is being generous. Walking around the property or into the guest room made us feel like we were transported back to a motel from the 1960's or 70's. The guest room didn't feel dirty, but did make us cringe a bit because it felt old, run-down and shabby. It felt more like a rent-by-the-hour room than a national chain.

We had a King room, which came with a kitchen. We always like this and usually make good use of it, even in a short stay. We couldn't use this kitchen, however, because we left our plates, cookware, forks, knives, spoons, glasses, corkscrew all at home. There was not one single item in the kitchen. Every cupboard and drawer was 100% clean - of dirt, of bugs, of anything at all!

The staff person who was supposed to set up breakfast simply never showed up for work, leaving someone who had never done this task to do it. She had to figure it out on the fly. We felt bad for her as a dozen people waited at the door for the 30 minutes it took for her to figure it all out. (We know the failure of a staff person to come to work isn't the hotel's fault, but let's just say it added to the overall "less-than-ideal" experience.) We walked a couple hundred feet down the street to a fantastic breakfast place (Galapagos).

We don't expect a motor inn to have the quality and services of a resort hotel, but this property certainly did not live up to it's name "Quality" - unless, of course, you add "poor" in front of it. It was definitely not worth the $98 we paid for it.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 25, 2012

No light bulb in bathroom, TV not plugged in, stains on carpet, lampshade damaged, headboard damaged...and the list goes on. My husband went to front desk to report the missing lightbulb-the girl annouced she was by herself and new and we would have to talk with manager in morning and he would give us discount. I wanted to know discount amount??? I asked to be moved-no-see manager in morning. Next morning we decided we would find another hotel for the other 2 nights. We waited for supervisor to show up...she was apologetic and tried to call manager Ken to find out about discount. We ended up with a 5.6% discount-about $5. I could not believe Ken did not have the decency to meet us in person. Additionally there was black stuff under the tub mat-mold. The grout in bathroom was discusting! There was a door open the when we checked in &out-leading down a long steep flight of stairs-ver hazardous to children.
The only positve thing - the bed was comfortable. We left and checked into Yankee Pedlar Inn-old & quaint but clean and everything worked. They even had a flat screen TV.
When I tried to reach Choice Hotels Customer Relatioms - I was connected to a rep who was very curt with me. She told me to send email & they would handle it. Received a form letter apologizing for experience and letting me know we should here from the manager of hotel. It's been almost 3 weeks and no contact. NEVER AGAIN!!!

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank Zilyram
Reviewed June 6, 2012

I'd really like to try this place again down the line as they appear to be working hard on improving the place. At it is, we stayed 3 nights, both prior to and on the night of a family wedding nearby. There's not a lot of choice in the area so it's hard to draw comparisons and the owner/manager really put himself out to try and resolve all our problems but there were a lot of them and our fellow wedding guests were also not impressed. First, the positives - the location seems good with ample parking and plenty of eating/drinking places nearby; the beds all seemed comfortable; the staff were all friiendly and helpful. and the price was much lower thatn all our other options. But our problems started after a late arrival following a cross-Atlantic journey, 2 hours at Immigration and lousy traffic out of JFK. Our room was dark and dingy (in need of decoration and no light bulbs in any lamps!) and the safe didn't work and there was no promised fridge. We had no time to resolve these that night but the Owner personally travelled in next morning on his day off to resolve the safe issue and quickly decidred to move us into another room which was a big improvement except for the awful smell in the corridor and another dead safe. He finally got the safe working and told us his plans for the place - a charmiing man. Next day the owner came to see us again as there had been a problem with our Booking Company tying our first 2 night booking to our separate 3rd night booking. So he upgraded us into a jacuzzi room for the night, which would have been great except we chose the hotel to avoid moving around! Our family and friends then arrived and had a range of problems ranging from mix-ups with the booking, dirty bathrooms, the swimming pool being out of action for sanitizing, dingy rooms and constantly finding the door locks not working - a problem we had to visit reception 3 times about - once for each of our 3 rooms! At all times the owner and his staff were extremely sorry and helpful in resolving our issues and I feel sure that they will turn this place around. I would finally comment on the compimentary breakfast. The range on offer was limited but we were able to eat fairly healthily with fruit, yoghurt, cereals, toast and bagels etc - a good job as the few cooked items did not look appetizing. BUT polystyrene plates and plastic cutlery and the location made this seem more like a student kitchen. The man in charge of the breakfast room was very personable and helpful and took on board our comments about needing boiling water for tea rather than lukewarm but the overall impression was that breakfast could be so much better at little extra cost.

Room Tip: Wide range of rooms may be at the root of the problem - trying to be all things to all men! I would...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 4, 2012

The room was nice... Old tv with lot of static so not great to watch tv :-(

Comfortable bed and quiet room...

Internet was not working and was supposed to get discount but clerk was not able to give me discount or even print me a receipt...

In the morning I arrived at 8h am and there was nothing left for breakfast !!!

Not such a great experience !!! Sorry!!! Hope they will fix these issues soon...

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed December 21, 2011

Had to do a day stay here as I work nights and my home was having some work done that I couldn't be there for. Called the day before and the clerk could not quote me a day rate. He did check into it and called me back though. When I went to check in, however, they tried to charge the regular rate. Got that sorted out, then up to the room. Typical 2 story motor inn, no elevator. Room is typical budget style but smelled of smoke despite being no smoking. At this point I just wanted to sleep so didn't bother asking for another room. Definitely no frills, and priced higher than it should have been.

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed November 6, 2011

The New Front Desk Staff this weekend is AWESOME....Such an improvement. I see the negative reviews and I have to say my experience this weekend was GREAT.....They really do anything they can to accomadate you. The Front Desk Girls Amy and Sam are very Friendly and make your stay pleasant. The room was very clean and the breakfast we had this am was fresh and there was a good variety. Great Improvements since it has been purchased by the new owners.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 16, 2011

Company does not mop during the day in the pool area just takes care of it first thing in the morning and after pool closes. I was promised several things when i made my reservations and when we checked in the rooms that we were given were not what we promised. Most staff very helpful some staff not so helpful. Executive manager was making a bunch of excuses and not making results. We needed a room for 5 promised a very roomy king suite ended up with a smaller one cause the first one didnt have a pull out like promised and smelled gross. Room we got was a king suite but small and we had no room to move around.. I WILL NEVER STAY THERE AGAIN

Room Tip: stay somewhere else if you can
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Kathie S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Torrington
The Litchfield Inn, BW Premier Collection
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Bristol, Connecticut
Homestead Inn
Homestead Inn
#1 of 3 in New Milford
Avon Old Farms Hotel
Hampton Inn & Suites Hartford/Farmington
Grace Mayflower Inn and Spa

Been to Rodeway Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!