“Awesome”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 2, 2014

La Cucina was recommended so we decided to go with another couple. From the moment we walked in, our server was extremely friendly and helpful. Everything we ordered was delicious; the caprese salad, escarole and beans, Cavatelli con Rabe, chicken marsala, and two fish specials that were absolutely delicious. My husband had a special that had 4 huge lobster raviolis on the bottom with muscles, clams and fried scrod on the top. It truly was outstanding. You could tell all of the meals were made to order. The prices for the specials were high, HOWEVER, the portions were very large and we all took home plenty of leftovers for another meal. We were so full, we didn't think it was possible to eat another bite but we decided to share their Tiramisu. We have been to our share of restaurants and we all agreed this was one of the best meals we have ever had. The only thing we didn't care for was the bread basket...but that's such a minor thing considering the excellent dinner we had. La Cucina is 45 minutes away from us and well worth the trip! We'll be back.

Reviewed December 27, 2013

I went there for lunch with the girls for our Christmas get together. Great food & large portions everyone was happy with there choices. I had the appetizer of broccoli rabe with white beans & sausage, huge portion more than enough for 4 people to share. The rabe was done to perfection as sometimes it can be very bitter if not cooked properly. Not much in atmosphere, and can be a little loud if it is crowed, service made up for it, excellent!

Reviewed December 14, 2013

My husband and I went with another couple to La Cucina. The building use to be a Friendly's Restaurant. They opened it up and you can view the pizza making and brick oven. It is not the most attractive dining room and the noise was awful. We had to almost yell to hear each other, which does not make for a relaxing dinner out. While the food was good, we found it to be expensive.

Reviewed November 17, 2013

I had heard such good things about La Cucina and we finally got there to confirm it. We went at 7:30 on a Saturday, and though there were still several people there, our server told us we had just missed the rush. The server was so well informed and very serious about giving us a great meal. I found it unusually wonderful that they were willing to make a substitution in a penne alla vodka dish for my vegetarian daughter. The server didn't bat an eye, just said, "what would you like instead?" My daughter requested tomato and onion instead of the meat and it was delicious. Salads are served family-style from a big bowl, and the beer and wine list was more than adequate.There was a little wait for the food, but I believe it was because it was being made up FOR US! My husband's lasagna was not the square of layered stuff that you might get in other restaurants but deliciously "real".I had the puttanesca was so yummy, and though I was warned that it was spicy, it was perfect. Of course, we all shared each others dishes and I can tell you the sauces were all so fresh and full of flavor. I noticed that the window that used to serve Friendly's ice cream is now the window for take out. Next time I would like to try their pizza, but the temptation to get that puttanesca again is strong.
You may think that Torrington doesn't need another Italian restaurant, but what it needs is a good Italian restaurant and La Cucina gets my vote!

Reviewed October 26, 2013

Met some girl friends here last night for dinner. The waitress was very friendly, great personality.
I ordered the Special-Pork stuffed with sausage and spinach.It came with a huge helping of mashed potatoes and sliced veggies, covered with gravy.It was OK, Good, the pork was a bit over done and dry... Thank goodness for the gravy.
I like the restaurant but it was very noisy,No table cloths, just paper place mats.It's a family friendly open dining area so more noise.It would benefit from with some sort of sound absorbing Obstructions.