“More mediocrity in Torrington”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Backstage

Backstage
Reserve with OpenTable
Backstage is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 123 Restaurants in Torrington
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: City Hall Avenue
Description: Backstage, located next to the Warner Theatre in downtown Torrington, serves casual American food from its full "all-day" menu, prepared fresh from scratch. Service begins daily at 11:30am, and the kitchen stays open late on performance evenings for after-theatre dining. Select from crisp salads and hot soups, creative Small Plates, Perfect Burgers of hand formed Angus patties on house-baked rolls, popular sandwiches, and Big Plate comfort favorites. House-made desserts are a specialty. The antique mahogany bar soars 14 feet above the trendy zinc counter, and presides over northwest Connecticut's largest offering of craft-brewed beers. 24 brands are available on tap, with the bottle selection at more than 70. The well-rounded wine list is popularly priced, with several wines offered by the glass. Customer service is a passion at Backstage. Servers and bartenders serve up our unique "Awesome Customer Service," and management is visibly present during all meals.
Morris, Connecticut, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“More mediocrity in Torrington”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

I really wanted to like Backstage, but I was very disappointed. I like that you can reserve a table online, and the service was great. However, even in the dining area, the music was WAY too loud. Also, the food was not good. My husband's burger was way over cooked, and the breaking on the fish'n'chips was heavy and doughy. Such a bummer, because the menu has potential to be awesome. They have a great draught selection and offer flights so you can try four of them at a time. I think Backstage is much stronger as a bar / happy hour hangout than as a dinner restaurant.

Unionville, CT
“Try it again Backstage !”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012

I have been here many times over the past year.Recently about a week ago friends of mine went in on a busy evening and we were seated at a booth across from the bar. We ordered a few martinis, my drink which I motified came out a little watery, and its a martini so it shouldn't be watery. It was made with Hendricks Gins and muddled cucumber but I think the added water to it. The pub food here is usually good, they have nice burgers but don't get the lentil burger. My friend ordered the mac and cheese which we sent back, it was dry and not very warm. It wasn't creamy enough. This is a huge pet peeve of mine, the food needs to be HOT! I ordered the fish and chips, they gave me 4 smaller pieces, it was all batter. Why not give me two decent size pieces and then there will be some fish. Fries were good and crispy. My other friend got the grilled chicken quesadilla, which she liked. I heard they changed chefs again recently so I will probably give it another chance. Our waitress was very nice and accommodating and so was the gentleman that sat us. They do a great business here at the Backstage when there is a show in town, its right next to the Warner Theater. The Bar is very large and has many beers on tap. I have also been here on a game day and I believe they have at least 5 TV.

Westfield, Massachusetts
“Better than Expected”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2012

Saturday night can be a challenge for both restaurants and diners. Add the very convenient location to the Warner Theater and the trading floor din when packed to capacity, and we were not too optimistic on what we would encounter. Our salads, mains and dessert were all well crafted and our server was quite attentive, even though she was tending to a party of 14 next to us.

With an advance reservation, we were brought upstairs to the mezzanine. At the outset, it was definitely quieter than the main floor. The big group arriving fifteen or twenty minutes later cancelled out that advantage. The upstairs area is rather drab and generic. Fortunately our salads, lobster pot pie and mac and cheese were quite respectable. The array of beer choices is vast. Wine is clearly not the drink of choice. From burgers and salads to more elaborate dishes, the restaurant caters to a range of tastes.

With two shows going on next door, together with a typically exuberant Saturday night crowd, everything was still under control.

The Warner Theater has certainly been a remarkable engine for keeping Torrington alive. This cheerful place, attached at the hip to the theater, with ample parking nearby, is a further asset to the town. The atmosphere is lively, the food better than average, and the stafers are friendly and competent.

Connecticut
“Good experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2012

I visited on a weekend midafternoon with a friend. The place was fairly quiet. Although it initially took our waiter too long to greet our table, he was top notch for the remainder of our visit. He was unassuming, friendly and warm. My friend and I were there to talk over a few drinks and small nibbles. It suited its purpose admirably.

I enjoyed the warm tomato salad and wine selection. The tomato salad was dressed arugula with stacked tomato slices filled with gorgonzola and bacon. Tasty and satisfying. The waiter was helpful in my quest for the gluten free options available to me although he didn't seem gluten literate. He quickly consulted with the chef on my safe choices. My friend had a martini (they offer many types of martinis, and an appetizer, fried calamari.

We didn't feel rushed and I would definitely return. Quite a difference from my visits while the location was the brew pub.

Ridgefield, Connecticut
“Standard Pub Food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

We enjoyed our meal here. We were staying in a hotel across the street so decided to have dinner here since it was convenient. IUt is also down the street from the Warner Theater.The beer and drink menu is extensive. The restaurant is fairly large and lively. The food is average pub food like burgers, fried calamari, crab cakes. Service is good.

• Visited November 2012