“Home Court Advantage”

Tosca Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 20 Restaurants in Suffield
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Westfield, Massachusetts
“Home Court Advantage”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2014

It is usually a good sign when a restaurant is chef owned. That is especially true when the fellow in the kitchen is as talented and experienced as Kevin Cousins. Last Friday night we had a very fine meal on the pleasant outdoor patio of this local bistro. Befitting of a small restaurant, the menu is not panoramic. But there are daily specials in addition to a sensible selection of seasonally available fare ranging from fish to fowl, pasta to red meat. The menu descriptions may not be rhapsodic, but everything is prepared elegantly and with the finest ingredients.

The indoor dining room is cozy or claustrophobic, depending on your space requirements. The dark colors and fireplace should be warm and welcoming on a cold winter's night, and we get plenty of those. The outdoor patio, with a sliver view of Suffield's pretty skyline, was very mellow on a beautiful late summer night. Service was both friendly and capable-with some enthusiastic and helpful suggestions on menu options. A few reviewers have balked at the prices, but we thought it very fair for the quality of cooking and ingredients.

I found the wine list a bit quirky, but there were a number of bottles that were worthy of consideration and some effort to offer a range of quality wines for different budgets.

So many restaurants nowadays only make a half hearted attempt at desserts. The home made ice cream sampler alone was worth the price of admission!

We have followed Chef Cousins as he has grown and matured on the Western Mass and Northern CT dining landscape. He has moved Tosca a notch or two up the culinary ladder. We are very happy to have his restaurant in our backyard.

• Visited August 2014

Windsor Locks, Connecticut
“Excellent Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

The family had dinner on the patio. Food was outstanding , as usual, and great service along with a pleasant atmosphere made for a delightful evening.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank Craig L
Suffield, Connecticut
“Always a Greatd Meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2014

Although this restaurant might be a little pricey for some people, it's not anymore than any of the other fine dining places in the area. We go expecting to pay a little more for such a great meal.

Enfield
“Tosca”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2014

I have visited Tosca a few times over the past 2-3 years and I must say the food is pretty good the chef is good at what he does and seems to be pretty knowledgeable about culinary arts and I can taste and feel his passion in every dish with that being said its sad that the wait staff killed the night this past visit with such a small and cramped dining room one would think you waitress or waiter wouldn't be hard to find every time we would need another drink or want to request a refill of our bread (which is absolutely amazing) our waitress was no where to be found... the hostess made us feel almost unwanted like it was a bother to seat us when we arrived, and the wait staff made us feel as if because we weren't "rich" we weren't supposed to be there as if they weren't expecting we could afford to leave a decent tip then we weren't as much of a priority as other tables that were better dressed... when making my way to the men's room I passed the hectic kitchen which is semi open and stopped for a moment in awe of the chefs you can tell they all have a passion for perfection but also noticed the cluttered waitress station full of half empty drinks,cell phones,and snacks even noticed one of the waitresses playing on her iPhone for a good minute and half before she noticed me and asked in an almost rude tone if "there was a problem" what would of or could of been an amazing to start my birthday off was killed by the lack of professionalism and judgement from the "I'm more important than you" minded wait staff with all of that being said would I go back to Tosca possibly because the food was amazing but maybe next time I'll dress a little more up to the standards and rent a fancy car so me and my dining companions can get decent service and not be judged from the moment we walk in the door... It truly is a shame chef Kevin Cousin's food is the best around but he is being held back by his front of the house team.......

3 Thank CTfoodie483
Westfield, Massachusetts
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fine dining”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2014

If you’re seeking a fine dining experience, I highly recommend Tosca’s. From the moment we walked in the door, we were treated like guests. The wait staff was excellent; friendly and attentive – from the waitress who recommended the beef short ribs for my son to the bus boy who never let our water glasses run dry. The dirty martini and the chef’s margarita were excellent. The amuse-bouche was a simple, but delicious mouthful. The freshly baked bread was still warm, and was not the standard restaurant crusty loaf or roll. It did not come with butter, but with a freshly made spread that I neglected to ask what it was made off. It was red and also delicious. We shared the beef Carpaccio appetizer. Excellent, and the horseradish sauce that came with it was smooth, with just enough tang but not the sinus clearing heat usually associated with horseradish. My son’s beef short rib was fork tender, and large enough to satisfy him, He said the mac ‘ n’ cheese that came with it was second only to mine. (What son will say that any other mac ‘n’ cheese is better than Mom’s?) My sea scallops were to die for. Three perfectly cooked very large scallops were accompanied by garlic mashed potatoes and asparagus. I cleaned the plate. It was exactly the right size serving for me, though a man with a hearty appetite might not find it large enough. (In which case – get the short ribs.) We finished with espresso for my son, and coffee made in a coffee press for me, along with chocolate lava cake and salted caramel ice cream on the side. Compared to chain restaurants, service at Tosca’s may seem slow, but that is because your meal is being prepared to order by a single chef. Believe me, it is worth the wait. If you are within driving distance of Suffield, CT, treat yourself to a dining experience and go to Tosca’s. It is more expensive than the chain restaurants, but worth every penny! We will definitely return.

1 Thank Pat S