“Two bites and knew there was a new cook.”

Blue Goose Restaurant
Ranked #36 of 145 Restaurants in Stratford
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Steakhouse, Bar
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Private Dining, Reservations
Reviewed March 7, 2013

My husband took two bites, and knew there was a change in the kitchen. His pot roast was dry, and the gravy was salty. They seem to make their money on non alcoholic beverages. You get a small glass, and refills are not free. Two dollars for a soda, and two fifty for iced tea. But...it has always been this way.
Usually the bar specials at lunch are the best things to get. They have an older clientele, and all the specials are easy to eat, (soft).
I don't want to be too negative. The specials are a good value. $5.75 and you don't go away hungry. :)
This review is for the bar only.

Reviewed October 5, 2012

We went to the Blue Goose, after not having been in two years. Our dinner, service and atmosphere were outstanding. We have been patrons of this restaurant for the last 20 years and I have to say even though the ownership has changed, the food has not. We enjoyed the prime rib, stuffed sole and bay scallops. Our waitress was pleasant and attentive. We arrived at 6PM on a Friday night and when we left at 7:45, the restaurant was full!

1  Thank 884KathyG
Reviewed June 28, 2012

The prime rib was huge and tasty but the au jous was salty. The bread was fresh, salad was fine but the mixed vegetables were bland. The clam casino appetizer was acceptable. The Manhattan clam chowder tasted like vegetable soup, I saw or tasted no clams.. The Tiramisu was terrific. You do get alot for the price. Now the real downer... The clientle is so old you feel like you are eating in a Nursing Home.. Big portions and reasonable prices do attract the geriatric crowd.. They need to attract some young customers to remedy this atmosphere problem.. I kept waiting for an ambulance to show up...

1  Thank mrfoxwoods
Reviewed May 26, 2012

I remember Spada's Blue Goose many years back. We had a gift card so my wife and I returned after not being there for several years. Augustyn's has maintained just about everything since the original owners including the patrons. If you are under 50, you will feel out of place. It's not a bad place by any means. The food and service are all fine, however, the decor, the menu and the patrons are all senior citizens and geared for seniors. A key is the fact that the lot is packed at 4pm and is empty by 8.I guess they found their niche as the population in Stratford is aging quickly. I think the Spada family would find nothing has changed in the 20 years since they sold it.

1  Thank Thomas K
Reviewed March 17, 2012

This establishment is in dire need of a facelift and the food is just OK.
That being said, the day I visited it was crowded, with mostly people over 65. What I think brings people back in the door is the reasonable prices and a friendly wait staff.