“Was this stay worth it ?????”

Stratford Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Stratford
Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

Well here we are at this place and what can I say ...Ugh comes to mind also moldy,cold,bad shape,machines don't work,no card keys,plumbing sucks I should say it don't so come on down and kiss your money good by and you health so have fun and stay away

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Karen L, General Manager at Stratford Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2014

Good afternoon:
I am sorry you did not have a pleasant stay, but actually, in reading all your other reviews you posted at other hotels, I can see you probably just do not like staying at hotels at all.

Your stay I believe was what the hotel industry calls a short stay and being you only used the room for several hours, you felt we should have given you some money back. Being we do not promote short stays, I am sure you can understand that we do not offer special rates for this.

As to the room, we pass an extensive inspection by the state every year and we do not have mold. Our housekeepers take pride in their work and all rooms are inspected before a guest enters that room.

Reviewed February 9, 2014

Stayed here for 6 WEEKS while on business. Great location. The staff and management are fantastic, from the cleaners to the front desk - everyone was super friendly and really, really helpful. This hotel really did exceed my expectations.

I will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Third Floor Rooms were very quiet.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Mike_Banning
Karen L, General Manager at Stratford Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2014

Thank you for your kind words. They truly are appreciated by the entire staff.
Everyone here works hard to keep the hotel clean along with our staff being gracious to all its guests. It's nice when a guest shares their comments with us.....

Reviewed November 27, 2013

Stayed there recently with my college team. I cannot say enough about the professionalism of the staff. They were very respectful and accommodating; even made special arrangements for our need for a late checkout. Pasquale in the restaurant was terrific also...serving up two awesome team meals and some late night snacks. They are very customer friendly. The rooms were spacious and clean and it's in a great location, right off I-95. I would highly recommend this hotel for teams or just the single traveler. I will definitely return if I'm ever in the area again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Karen L, Manager at Stratford Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2013

Coach,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review as it is appreciated. Your team also was a pleasure to host and we look forward to having you again next year should you be scheduled to play in CT.

Reviewed November 13, 2013

I was so impressed with the staff. They were amazing in taking care of my every need. Check in was a cinch, fast & easy. They gave me the wi-fi code without me having to ask. They also gave me a great deal for the night. My wake-up call was right on time & breakfast was free until 9am. The room was clean & cozy. Complete with soap/lotion & coffee. The entire hotel was quiet & pleasing to the eye. As I was leaving to check out, an associate in the hallway made a point to ask me how my stay was & was so polite in saying goodbye. If I ever need to stay for a night or a week, The Stratford Hotel & Conference Center will be my #1 choice. Thank you to the staff for making me feel welcome & right at home.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ashley B

Well, thank you! Your review is appreciated more than you know as the staff does work hard to keep everything the way it should be for our guests.
I will share your comments with them and we too look forward to your return.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

We had landed at JFK and were heading to Rhode Island. We came across the Stratford by chance. It did not look special, but it was late(11pm) and we were tired. We parked outside the front, only 6 cars, inside was big and empty, but the night was great, name of Jay, our room was fine for what we needed, but I would use it as stopover. The hotel was a ramada, but now could do with major investment, it was not dirty, but was in need of a spring clean. Our bedroom was on the back which seems to be a lorry park, so be aware of departing trucks from 4.30 am, a high floor is good. Breakfast is included, but is very basic continental. The reception staff wer friendly and we met the manager who was very chatty.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 24, 2013

I stayed at the establishment on 9/19 and other than a few issues with the door entry cards that evening i felt that my stay was very nice, room was clean front desk was very helpful and the establishment is well taken care of. Good job, would stay here again.

Room Tip: I think you would be fine with any room you are assigned to.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 17, 2013

After reading several of the reviews it has become clear that 'Karen' the hotel manager spends more time commenting on reviews and placing blame somewhere other than her own shoulders, than managing the Stratford Hotel and Conference Center. My wife and I decided to take a few days for ourselves along with our dogs and began searching the Expedia website where we had some remaining 'points' for a stay. Obviously, we needed a 'pet friendly' hotel. While the staff at the hotel was more than friendly, the same cannot be said about the manager. When arriving we noted the somewhat fading exterior of the building along with the bar that is located at the immediate entrance, but continued on and registered. Carol the desk clerk was friendly, helpful and commented on the great behavior of our two pups. We got on the elevator and were somewhat dismayed with its condition and even more so once we made it to our room. The hallway carpet was stained and the same was true of the room carpet. The bathroom was dirty, the sink was missing parts and there was mold. The 'so called' new blankets were actually bedspreads and offered no comfort at all. In her earlier rebuttals I noted that the manager mentioned new 'Martha Stewart' bedding.....did she make it from material they gave her in prison? Needless to say, the room and the hotel were less than expected, but the worst was yet to come.

Both my wife and I decided we would not be staying beyond the one night while at dinner and went to the desk to inform them. Carol and another young lady were there and again both commented on our dogs. In fact, the other women commented that she had spoken with my wife the night before when my wife confirmed the hotel was pet friendly. Not wanting to upset anyone, we did not disclose our displeasure with the hotel; instead we stated we were leaving because the pool was not available. Both of these women stated that they needed to have a reason so they could tell 'Karen' why we were leaving. The look on their respective faces gave me the impression that 'Karen' would not be happy with parties leaving.

At approximately 9:30am the next morning while my wife and I were dressing, there was a banging (not a knock) on the door and a woman bellowed she was the manager and our dogs barked. She went on yelling that we were going to be charged another $50 for having the pets stating that they were not informed. When we protested (through the door as we were not yet dressed) she threatened us yelling 'you are lucky its not $250'!! Had my senses not been dulled by the thick odor of marijuana that permeated the hallway all night, I might have engaged 'Karen' at that time. We have informed our credit card company concerning the $50 additional charge which we are refusing to pay and to make certain that there are no other charges. Shame on Expedia for even listing this place.

I confronted 'Karen' at the front desk about her less than professional manner, etc., etc., but this woman was impregnable to any sense of business, decency or adult conversation. I could go on and on about this far from inhabitable barn they call a hotel, but it has been said previously. In any business they say it 'starts at the top', its easy to see why this place is the dump that it is. Kudos to the Bridgeport Holiday Inn right down the road for their beautiful accommodations.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TERENCE158c
Karen L, General Manager at Stratford Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2013

I do apologize for whatever inconvenience you were caused, however,our front desk staff is very educated in knowing there is a charge for dogs and in speaking with them, they do not recall you being at the front desk with the dogs. They did see you enter the back door from cameras and it is for that reason that I knocked (not banged) on your door the next morning to inform you there was a charge for all pets. This is actually stated on our registration form and circled. Unfortunately, there are times when a guest such as yourself chooses to leave their pets in the car and then come in the back and not pay.
I apologize if you thought I bellowed, but your two dogs were barking rather loudly when I and my head housekeeper came to your door. I knocked and maybe had to speak louder for you to hear me. I understand not wanting to pay this additional charge as it is $15 for one pet and an additional $10 for the second.....but a policy is just that and we expect our guests to uphold the rules.
As to our elevators and our rooms, our staff works hard to make sure our guests are pleased with their stay, I guess you just were unhappy with the additional fees.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Stratford
Quality Suites
Quality Suites
#2 of 5 in Stratford
Homewood Suites by Hilton Stratford
The Circle Hotel Fairfield
Rodeway Inn Stratford
Rodeway Inn Stratford
#3 of 5 in Stratford

Been to Stratford Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!