All reviewslong island soundsea wallocean viewattached restaurantprivate beachcontinental breakfastlobster rolloutdoor barking bedparking lotgreat view of the waterbagelshandicap rampmini fridge and microwaveolder hotelcold cerealbeds were comfortable
Reviewed July 26, 2010

This is a 2 story motel with Marnick's Resturant taking part of the bottom floor.It is on the water with a small beach in front. People were in the water off this beach and there is a short sea wall with side walk you can stroll on. First I check in on a day that was being said to be the hottest day of the year. Heat factor was 100-120 in many areas. The first thing I noticed when I walked into the lobby was NO AIRCONDITIONING. After I checked in I was told thru the door and UP the Stairs. Now I am in the hallway and NO AIRCONDITIONING AND NO ELEVATOR. I am an older woman with a heart condition and I had to lug my suitcase and six pack of soda Up a flight of stairs. There is a handicap ramp to enter the building. Please put no elevator in your description you might save someones life. The room was huge. Decor was 60's. My deck was ontop of the resturant roof so there were chimneys and I thought an AC Fan (I was wrong there the restaurant didn't have AC either) The A/C in my room worked, loud but it worked thank goodness. Got my breathing back to normal. Fan light in bathroom did not work. The was a nice little table and 4 chairs in the room which was in front of the sliding glass door that went out to the private porch/deck it was nice to sit here and read when it got too hot outside. The deck had 2 chairs and a million dollar view. Yes there were telephones poles and wires but not this places fault. You have a expansive view of Long Island Sound with Long Island itself in the distance. Very relaxing watching the ferry go back and forth and the sail boats on the water. I was lucky I watched a full moon rise over the water then at 1 am a massive thunderstorm hit. The room had a Fridge (hence my 6 pack of Soda there is a Pepsi machine on the 2nd floor but I had my coca cola. There was a Microwave oven but NO Coffee machine. Some descripiton of the rooms say coffee machine. I guess if your room doesnt have a view you get a coffee machine???? Bring a book as most of the TV stations go in and out the only one that stayed on was the news and Cartoon network. The room was clean. Would I stay there again Yes, why Location Location Location. Personally I would ask for a ground floor room that does have a private seating area outside.I would bring my own hot water maker and instant coffee. Now the restaurant. There is outside seating but I thought I would be cooler inside assuming it had AC it didn't only overhead fans and not all were turned on. I was not impressed with this place. Kind of diner like. I tried the Lobster Roll and was disappointed in the lack of Lobster , lets say I have had better in the area. There is a ice cream stand when you enter the restaurant. I never went back the next day for breakfast. If I stayed again there is another resturant within a stones throw that I would eat in.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed July 20, 2010

These rooms are OLD. They're rundown, outdated, and lack all the amenties modern travelers are used to. When I checked in, I had to wait for almost 10 minutes at the front desk because they couldn't get thier internet connection to work. Then they put me in a room that had absolutely no controls for the airconditioner - it was sub-zero feeling in minutes. Then they tried to relocate me to a 2nd room, but when I schlepped back upstairs the key didn't work. Finally, I got downgraded to a 3rd room, with no balcony, and wasn't offered any discount or coupon for the trouble.

The restaurant downstairs is fine - basically diner fare. You get boxed mashed potatoes, oily veggies, that kind of thing - but it's all edible, and the view is great.

The only real upside to this hotel is the location - there's a little beach here on the long island sound you can go onto, and though it's very very small it's nice.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank GrapeJade8
Reviewed January 28, 2010

This place could be soooo much better. The room was huge, but I had to fight the sliding door to get to the balcony, took almost 20 minutes to get it to open. The view off the balcony was nice, as long as you look past the power lines, and don't look down to see the air condition at level height with the balcony. Room doesn't ever really get warm.. has the stupid heaters at the bottom of the wall... Price not too great for the amenities.. $80 for ocean view and king bed, which is rock hard.

Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed January 5, 2010

This place is very inexpensive (I paid $59 a night including tax). The room was spacious and clean. The bathroom was fine: sparkling clean, which is the most important thing, just not luxurious like what you'd find in a first class hotel costing 2-6 times as much. By the same token, a first class hotel would have a sofa and a desk. The staff were courteous and helpful. My girlfriend who accompanied me was particularly happy at how quiet it was. The king size bed was softer than I prefer, but there was a queen size bed that was nice and firm. My only other complaint is a slight one that would only concern couch potatoes: the TV set wasn't so big or good, the selection of channels left something to be desired, and the reception was bad on the cartoon channel. The restaurant connected to the hotel was lovely with a beautiful view of the Long Island Sound. What more do you want? I highly recommend this place. For what it is, it is worth 5 out of 5 stars. Overall it is 4 stars. A true bargain, especially if you are on a budget.

Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 17, 2009

Having grown up in Stratford, CT, the Rodeway Inn (or "Marnick's" as the locals call it, which is really the name of the restaurant now) was the kind of place I'd like to stay at even though it was ten minutes from my house. A nice little hotel tucked away in a quiet corner of town, right on the beach. I'm told more than a few celebrities have summer homes just next door in a private beach area, so that should tell you something about the environment.

Now I live in VT, but every time my girlfriend and I travel to CT we find ourselves staying at this great little getaway. I've stayed at this place so many times I can speak of great times, good times, and admittedly a time when it wasn't quite up to par, but all in all this place is great. Breakfasts have often been hit or miss, but usually they're very good and worth the price you pay. Those looking to venture out for breakfast have the option of another hidden gem, the Blue Sky Diner, which is about ten minutes away on Ferry Blvd.

Definitely give this place a chance, it's become another home away from home for me.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple