“No resort but is nice beach location and good value”

Rodeway Inn Stratford
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Stratford
Reviewed July 5, 2012

We booked this hotel as it seemed like an excellent price for a beach-front hotel.
We booked through our usual on-line site which is very reliable. The hotel boasts all balcony rooms facing the ocean.
The booking process was a bit slow as the clerk was way too chatty and oblivious to the line-up growing behind us. When he got to me, he was very friendly and he boasted that we had a really nice room and that we should enjoy it very much.
We were very surprised to learn that not only did our hotel room not face the ocean, but it didn't even have a balcony. It was a very very hot day and we were tired from traveling, so we just accepted it as is. We didn't arrange to change the room as the hotel was booked solid and the front desk was way too busy.
Other than this experience, the hotel was very nice. It is no resort, but the rooms were clean. The a/c and fridge worked fine and we did enjoy the beach. The room itself is a bit outdated, but all in all, it was worth the stay for the price we paid.

Room Tip: Note that this hotel boasts 28 rooms with balconies overlooking the ocean. There are six which do n...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank CanCruiser

Reviewed July 2, 2012

This hotel is everything other reviewers have said, minus the bed bugs. We had a nice room, with great air conditioning,comfortable bed and adequate bathroom and amenities. The hotel sits almost on the beach, but to enjoy the beach you must request an ocean front room. I thought we were in an ocean front room, but our view was over the parking lot. It was so hot the day we arrived, I pulled the curtains closed and enjoyed the dark and air conditioning. The location is quite interesting because it lies at the end of a residential street. The beach is not like a Florda beach, so do not go there expecting that. I also did not notice any shops and very few other restaurants within walking distance. Check in was a bit disconcerting, but the lady tried to get us moved to an oceanfront room and finally did succeed with a cancelation. We opted to stay where we were since we had unpacked. Good refrigerator in the room. Adequate parking. Overall, this is a "value" hotel in a nice location. Very friendly bar, and good restaurant. We had dinner at the restaurant and a nice continental breakfast the next morning. Don't forget to pick up your continental breakfast voucher when you check in!

Room Tip: IF you are willing to pay the extra charge, the balcony ocena front rooms are a good deal.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TexasLadyJane
Reviewed June 29, 2012

We stayed here one night while visiting colleges in New England. The hotel is older but is pretty well maintained. It is right in the beach. We had a waterfront balcony room which had a magnificent views of the water. You could see all the way across to Long Island. The beach was not so good though. The sand felt dirty on your feet not like the white sand on our New Jersey beaches. The Board of Health had posted a no swimming sign the day of our arrival. It was removed the next day.The restaurant was all windows overlooking the water and had a good selection for the free continental breakfast and you could order all you could eat. They had great soft ice cream too. The room was dated but clean with comforable beds.. Overall, I would stay here again for the views and the restaurant!

Room Tip: Ask for a waterfront room.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 29, 2012

Like another reviewer I give it 4 starts not for being a 4 star hotel but for performance and value. It is not a seaside resort luxury hotel but it is not a fleebag either. I have been to both. I love being pampered but I am not above overlooking a few things. Paying 109 for a waterfront room lowered my expectations so much that I was thrilled with what I got. Ya. The floors creaked, the batroom looked like my grandmothers and the bed was a little hard. But it was CLEAN. I was on business, one night and was fine. The "bed bugs" people are referring to might be what we call on Cape Cod "noseeums". Tiny sand fleas commonly found near the beach no matter how much you pay. Not because of cleanliness and were a pain outside but not in the room. The goombah at checkin probably won;t call you sir but is seemed genuinely concerned that things went well.

Room Tip: Spend the 20 bucks for the ocean view.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed March 4, 2012

This motel was clean and spacious - with dated decor and a slightly ghetto feel. While having a frig and microwave was a plus, the microwave timer kept going on every time the heat kicked in. However, it was all worth it for the location. We had a second floor ocean view room with a balcony which was literally about 50 feet from the shoreline. With the door open we could hear the tiny waves lapping on the sand and see the water and seagulls from the bed. Especially for the price, this place is definitely worth looking into!

Room Tip: Ocean view on the second floor - 207 and up are best.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank joyousmedicine
Reviewed February 5, 2012

...as I would prefer this motel stay unknown to people so I could continue getting rooms here at the reasonable rates they have. But fair is fair - good performance should be rewarded.

I understand some of the negative reviews for it, as expectations seem to be different for higher-userrated hotels and motels. My giving it 4 stars does not mean this is a 4-star hotel. Far from it.

But it's a very clean, safe, dependable motel for its niche. It's a 2.5-star by conventional standards. For the price, however, it performs rather well.

I love the location - it's in a residential neighborhood so you don't have the traffic you would have in a business/tourist area. Yet it's still right on the "beach" (I use the term "beach" loosely here - not a swimming/surfing spot at all), and the atmosphere is amazing.

I also understand some of the negative comments regarding the check-in/check-out - wouldn't fly in a chain hotel/motel. But that's just the thing - it's really NOT a chain motel, though it carries the "Rodeway Inn" brand.

Yes, the gentleman (who I believe is a relation to the founder) at check-in was on his cell while checking me in. That didn't stop him from being helpful and actually giving me a different room as I wasn't thrilled with the first one (the balcony/smoking/1full room is on the 1st floor and the "balcony" looks STRAIGHT INTO the restaurant - really no privacy whatsoever - but that's why it's priced lower). He can speak on his cell all he wants, so long as I get what I want, and quickly - and I did.

I'm planning my next visit as we speak. And I'll keep returning, so long as the price/quality balance remains the same.

Room Tip: Go for the second-floor rooms if you're getting one with the waterview. No elevator, but they h...
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed November 18, 2011

Gladly surprised of a clean/comfortable(big) overlooking the LI sound room in a nice Inn in a quaint little town.
The room had a nice table and 2 chairs where we were able to play Clue.
They have a restaurant where you can sit and enjoy the LI sound. We went early, before the kids got up, and enjoyed a cup of coffee. Since we were staying at the hotel, our coffee was free of charge. Nice! We went for a walk, saw the LI ferry crossing and then had breakfast with the kids.
Our college kid immediately texted her boyfriend to let him know about the Inn.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stratford
Quality Suites
Homewood Suites by Hilton Stratford
Delamar Southport
Delamar Southport
#1 of 1 in Southport

Been to Rodeway Inn Stratford? Share your experiences!