“Excellent view, good lobster roll”

Marnick's Restaurant
Ranked #19 of 145 Restaurants in Stratford
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Reviewed October 22, 2013

My first date with my Russian redhead we went to Marnick's in Stratford, Ct. Perfect setting right along Long Island Sound. I have lived in the local area all my life and had never gone to Marnick's even though I had heard about it over all the years. So I figured let's give it a try. Sonya had been there before. I ordered the lobster roll and she had the liver and onion sandwich. She said it was very good, but as for the lobster roll (with fries), it was only good. I thought it was overpriced but that is the nature of lobster at this time of year. The dining room is ok, but would have preferred to sit out on their terrace (it was windy so sat inside).

Reviewed October 11, 2013

If you stay at the attached hotel, there is partial list of complementary breakfast fixings in the morning and anything off the complimentary menu is charged extra. We utilized that along with breakfast we purchased in the morning. Our breakfast was about $16.00 for 2 adults. Wait staff was very attentive, kind and professional. Our coffee cups were always filled. She knew when we needed cream and was ready to help us out. I would recommend any breakfast on the menu at the Marnick's Restaurant as your choices seemed endless. Coffee was hot and good, eggs were perfect and to order. If you wanted something "crispy" and asked for it to made a specific way, it was done correctly. Our wait was short and piping hot breakfast delivered with a smile. I would recommend this location for couples, looking for a simple overnight. Great for us to stop in on our way home.

5  Thank happybeststuff
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Marnick's is a fantastic place for casual waterfront eats. We travel 30 minutes just to visit every summer on many weekend mornings. Located right on the beach, the breeze on the patio is relaxing and fun.

I have only had breakfast there since getting up early and spending the morning there is our preference. Eggs Benedict are super! But the omelettes, pancakes, french toast, and Portobello Benedict are tasty options, too. The service is friendly and well-timed. Food comes out hot and flavorful.

Keep in mind the restaurant is adjacent to a Rodeway Inn and it is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. It could be characterized as a diner, but with a killer view. My 5 stars are based on comparing Marnick's to other similar offerings - not on a comparison with fine dining. They don't claim to be gourmet so I can only judge them on what they hope to be, which is a small restaurant attached to a motel. In those terms, I feel they do a great job.

Try it for breakfast and you will not be disappointed!

1  Thank SantaFeWay2013
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Like most people have said, it's not a great culinary experience but the view is spectacular! The food is fresh and well prepared and we did not have to wait long for our meal. I thought the service was ok but nothing special. Good for a lunch spot after a nice walk along the beach with the kids.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

First, I need to say that I'm not sure if Marnick's is just the bar/patio place outside or if it includes the coffee shop like place inside. But I'm going to assume it's both and we ate at both. I think most of the food in this place is not homemade. The only think I ate here that was great was the clam chowder. It was yummy but may or may not have been homemade. We ate dinner at the bar outside. What a wonderful space. It was worth it for the atmosphere. The food - I had the lobster ravioli and my husband had a monte cristo. The lobster ravioli was not good at all. It looked great on the plate, but tasted terrible. I almost wondered if it was spoiled, to be honest. My husband's monte cristo was a sad little flat sandwich between two thin slices of French toast. It was bad. But the service out there was great and you can't beat the view.

The next morning we took our kids down for breakfast inside the little diner. Again, I loved the atmosphere and we had a table looking right out on the water. Again, however, the food seemed like everything came out of a can. The corned beef definitely did. So the food was not great but the view was. And the service was great as well.