“Would Have Expected More for the Price”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Stratford
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Stratford
Reviewed November 1, 2009

The hotel overall was nice. It was the first extended stay hotel that I've stayed in, so having the extra room was appreciated. I never used the kitchen or anything, but it was nice that they were available. Our company gets a corporate rate with Hilton, but even with that the hotel was pretty pricey. I wish the exercise facility would have matched the rest of the hotel's classiness, but it was a treadmill and some free weights in the laundry room...creepy.

I know that CT is expensive by definition, but I just expected a little more umph.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank ajurkash

Reviewed October 12, 2009

Just returned from 2 night stay Oct 11th 2009, 2 adults and one 5 year old. We were visiting friends in the local area.

Given the different reviews, I was a little nervous, but we found the hotel to be nicely equipped and clean and quiet. We had booked so we could use the indoor pool in case of bad weather, but in the end we didn't use it. Looked clean, although not huge.

Check in was speedy (although we checked in very late) and the doors lock at 11pm so there is some added security. Yes, you did have to sign a notice regarding "rowdy behaviour" but truthfully, I was not offended. Parking could be far away. We had booked a 1 bed suite and were upgraded to a 2 bed, so that was a pleasant surprise. However, I think a one bedroom still would have been plenty large enough. Entry to the rooms corridor is from one end (rather than the middle) so it can be a hike from an end room (which we were, #258 on the main level) to the lobby and breakfast area. Hallways were wide, well lit and clean.

In-room kitchen was well equipped and clean and living room furniture was in great shape. Each room had it's own bathroom, both of which were spotless. I know some wont care for the plastic surround in the shower, but it was fine. And yes, water pressure was a little weak, but more than did the job. Soap, shampoo and lotion was provided.

Bedding was clean and comfortable and there were extra's in the closets. Room was nicely cleaned when we returned later in the day. Breakfast was crowded the next morning (around 8am) but there was plenty of it, even if the menu was limited (cooked eggs, bacon, usual cereals, fruits, bagels etc). They added trestle tables for seating in the lobby area.

The location is a little out of the way and not much to walk to - but I am sure most people have a car. A couple of miles north there's a sports center (mini golf, bowling, ice rink) and to the south about 10 mins drive is town of Stratford and the beach/marina area.

Overall, we would definitely return to this hotel and would even pay the regular rate for the 2 bedroom as we were impressed with the space.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed September 12, 2009

We stayed twice as a stopover on a family drive from DC to the Cape. The stay on the way up was poor, and the stay on the way back was great. We have also stayed at the local Residence Inn. Pros: Immediately off of the Merrit Parkway. Relatively new construction compared to local Residence Inn and clean. Nice staff. Short drive to numerous casual restaurants, grocery store, liquor store, gas station/convenience store. Indoor pool and OK fitness center. Cons: The outdoor pool at the Residence Inn is much nicer IF the weather is nice. Thin walls. The staff put us in room 203 directly under a noisy low life extended stay group in room 303. They banged around all night, woke up my children twice, and were audibly cursing after we complained to the front desk. The front desk was not at all surprised when I complained about the people in the room above us the next day, and knocked off $30 from the room. I would have rather had a good night's sleep and a happy wife. We came back the next week, and the same group was still in the room. They had a bag of garbage sitting in the hall, a ripped privacy please hung on the door in the late afternoon, and the no smoking hall smelled like cigarettes about 8 rooms from their room. Management asked how my stay was, and they blew off my comment about the nasty extended stay group still in the hotel. I guess hotel prioroitzed the revenue from the extended stay over short term guests. Management should kick out the group, and we should never have been put in the room below them first place. The second room was far away from that room and was nice.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Ravenduffer
Reviewed September 9, 2009

We had to a find a hotel in the area on short notice that would allow pets, and I'm very glad we found this place. My wife and I both have allergies and are very sensitive to dust and mildew and mold, so it can be a real challenge sometimes to find a decent room. But this place was great.

The front-desk staff was friendly and professional. Our one-bedroom suite was well-appointed with flat-panel TVs in both the living room and bedroom. The kitchen was adequately equipped with all the basics.

The room was clean and the beds were comfortable. The windows open, which is great for those of us with allergies. Unfortunately there were a few small holes in the screens, so some gnats got into the room, but we were able to plug the holes and it was really not a big problem.

I personally liked that they have you sign an agreement about not having large noisy parties and try to keep track of who is in the hotel. In this age of terrorism, it doesn't hurt for a hotel to have a bit of extra awareness of who their guests are, especially when a hotel is near a defense contractor. I did notice a somewhat loud group of people gathered in the dining area the evening we were there, and some of the kids were a bit boisterous in the hallways, but we were not disturbed at all by any noise in our room.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 1, 2009

In my mid-thirties and made a reservation at this hotel with my boyfriend for a quiet weekend away. During check-in, I was told I was told not to run and scream in the hallways and was required to sign a "code of conduct and no party policy form," listing the name and ages of everyone in the room. Really? I haven't been told that since I was 10 years old and I certainly haven't signed a code of conduct form in a couple of decades. We found the request of the receptionist and the form to be Insulting and demeaning--this is a Hilton brand and we aren't frat-stars checking into a cheap dive in Cancun!

Otherwise, the hotel was below the quality that I usually see from the Hilton brand. Our nonsmoking studio suite smelled of mildew and cigarette smoke if the ac wasn't running constantly. You definitely don't get that "ahhh" feeling when you walk in the door of the room. It's more like, wow the fluorescent light makes the place look green and the carpet is clammy... Pretty disappointing if you're expecting more than a 2-2.5 star room.

Definitely wouldn't return to this hotel, even if I hadn't been treated like a child at check-in.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
5  Thank jeg65
Reviewed July 29, 2009

Stayed July 20 - 25 for 4 nights in a spacious studio suite with very comfortable queen bed, fully-equipped kitchen with a full size refrigerator, dishwasher, microwave and 2 burner stove. There is a sofa with coffee table, a desk and also a 32" LG Flat screen TV. There is no oven like the Marriott Residence Inn. The Hilton Homewood Suites has recently been renovated .and also offers an indoor heated pool, fitness center, complementary business center and gueest laundry facilities with washer and dryers. There is also a lovely terrace with barbeque facilities and tables and chairs for relaxing. I would use the terrace for breakfast and also in the evening when using my laptop. The staff here is very friendly and pleasant. The Homewood Suites offers a hot breakfast with one select breakfast item as well as waffles, cereal, bagels, fruit and yogurt, granola. They also offer a complimentary salad bar with a daily light meal and beverages on Monday through Thursday with different offerings each night. Wireless internet is complimentary. We would recommend it to others. They also offer one and two bedroom/two bath suites. It is conveniently located off CT 110 and Route 8 as well as convenient to Rt.95 and the Merritt Parkway.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed June 16, 2009

My girlfriend and I stayed two nights in Stratford. The hotel is very clean, almost noiseless, and the rooms are spacious. The hotel is slightly out of the way of downtown Stratford and the water (about 10 minutes by car). The only major issue is the breakfast buffet - it's free for a reason.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stratford
Hampton Inn by Hilton Shelton
SpringHill Suites Milford
Holiday Inn Bridgeport
Holiday Inn Bridgeport
#1 of 1 in Bridgeport

Been to Homewood Suites by Hilton Stratford? Share your experiences!