“Pricey but pretty good for the only place in town”

Nathan Hale Inn and Conference Center
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Storrs
GreenLeadersBronze level
Boston, MA
“Pricey but pretty good for the only place in town”
Reviewed May 24, 2007

This is the only "hotel" in the UCONN run town of Storrs. Being a captive audience keeps business pretty steady at Nathan. Although it is about $200 for a king room, the hotel almost lives up to that price. Amazing large Beds and pillows. Pretty good food!
While I'm sure bad experiences were had, it really is the only option unless you want to stay just off the Highway 17 miles away, or in a B&B. 12% tax for CT doesn't sweeten the deal, but then you don't have another choice...

• Liked — Beds
  • Disliked — price
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Justnin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed August 12, 2006

This hotel is nice. We enjoyed it. It was clean and well kept. The cleaning staff kept our room well kept. The pool isn't staffed, so swimming with little ones can be a bit of work. All the staff were friendly, except a few desk staff. Many of them seemed young [college students perhaps?]. We asked about a good grocery nearby and were directed to one close to the Four Corners that carried out of date dairy and dry goods! At the same time, the staff person mentioned another grocery in the Mansfield area [other direction]. We asked which was the better grocery, and the staff person said they were the same. They weren't. Even my 6-year-old noticed the the one in the Mansfield area was much nicer ["I like this grocery store better, Mom."]. Also our key stopped working on three occasions [we stayed 5 nights]. One staffer later told me that my cell phone or a credit card could be altering my key card to the room and parking. After learning this, things were much better. There's a lovely duck pond area on the campus near the hotel. And the Co-op nearby has great books and staff! Both main museums [Natural History and Art] were closed during our stay on the campus. It would have been nice to see one of them. Campus was obviously at a lull since school was out. Also, no laundry facilities.

• Liked — Very clean
  • Tips/Secrets — Keep your room key card away from cell phones or other credit cards.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
5 Thank mothermade
Parrish, Florida
Reviewed June 3, 2006

This was the worst hotel stay I have ever had. They had my reservation wrong. They had me for one night only. They did correct it. However, when I returned to my room for my second night, the key did not work. Then when I entered the room, it was not cleaned. When I called down to at least get coffee, I had to wait an hour and then the houseman did not bother to bring any cream or sugar. Then I discovered that the phone did not work. This took two cell calls to fix. When I voiced my dissatisfaction w/ the service I was promised a rate adjustment and an apology from the manager. I received neither. Finally, I was awakened in the middle of the night for the delivery of a fax that had been received by the front desk seven hours earlier. The food in the restaurant is mediocre at best. Overall, this place was a disgrace.

• Stayed May 2006, traveled on business
7 Thank JeffnEdie

Travelers are raving about these Storrs hotels

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 4, 2005

Stayed here several time while our daughter was a student at UConn. Rooms were nice, food was good, staff was friendly. It is really the only "nice" place to stay while visiting Storrs and UConn.

• Stayed May 2004, traveled on business
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Storrs
Hampton Inn & Suites Hartford-Manchester
Baymont Inn & Suites Manchester - Hartford CT
Residence Inn Hartford Manchester
Courtyard Hartford Manchester
Extended Stay America - Hartford - Manchester
Red Roof Inn Hartford - Vernon

Been to Nathan Hale Inn and Conference Center? Share your experiences!