“Pretty awful”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Storrs, CT
“Pretty awful”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

Cons: borderline awful room. TONS of noise from a clunky heater that sounded like someone was banging and rattling the machinery, which woke us every five minutes when it cycled on. Broken bathroom faucet that could only be on full blast. Missing parts from the toilet. Holes in the walls. Dresser drawers that would not open. Remote did not always work. The mattress was SO bad that it was completely sunken in the center. Cracked tiles in the bathroom. Tons of noise from the students that live there in overflow housing as well as the busloads of student athletes that stay there. Will not stay there again.

Pros: location (on campus, walk to Storrs center with nice restaurants); close parking; nice staff; nice bar.

This was really nice when it first opened and was an actual hotel and not a dorm. It needs a complete overhaul!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank SheepishlyGnomie
GMNathanHaleInn, Manager at Nathan Hale Inn and Conference Center, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Thank you for your feedback.

We are disapointed there were issues with your room; every room is inspected daily and the issues you mention should not happen and have been corrected. We are proud to be part of the University and during the holiday break we host some student athletes, we are proud of our Huskies!

Also a comprehensive renovation is underway and we are sure you will enjoy the updates.

We appreciate your stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
cork
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012

stayed there during a conference at UCONN
great staff at the hotel.
rooms were nice clean and modern.
food was good
the bar was an enjoyable experience and was a lovely place to spend an hour or so.
prices were reasonable

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
GMNathanHaleInn, General Manager at Nathan Hale Inn and Conference Center, responded to this review, February 14, 2014
Thanks for the comments on our great staff and the atmosphere in the True Blue Tavern.

Please visit us again when on campus, we appreciate your business!
Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012

This is an odd hotel. People working there are very nice, but at the time I stayed there they seemed to be using one of the floors of the hotel for student overflow housing, so it felt in some ways more like a dorm than a real hotel. I’d booked an executive king, when I went to my room on the 5th floor (around 11:30 p.m.) there was some kind of party going on in the room next-door, door slamming, hordes of college kids going in and out. I went back down to the front desk and asked to be moved to the grown-ups’ section, after some consultation they moved me to a corner of the 2nd floor they said would be quiet (and which was, at least re: party noise). This room was clean but a bit run-down, extremely cranky and loud climate control unit, right above some kind of massive machinery that made the floor vibrate (but at least was a low, constant noise, drowned out when the crazy loud heater was on), shower-tub switcher stuck so it only worked as a shower. Felt a bit like a Best Western, which is fine, but for $159 a night you’d expect a bit more. I guess they have a captive audience.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Zhuangzi_Canada

Travelers are raving about these Storrs hotels

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2012

Stayed here last year, not much has changed since then, front desk clerk seemed indifferent, bed and especially pillows were probably the most uncomfortable I have ever experienced in a hotel. Furnishings are dated, could definitely use a remodel, considering it's been open about 10 years, I think it's about due for one. Housekeeping supervisor seemed unhappy and unfriendly. Very cheap toiletries in the bathrooms. If you are in the area on business, it's adequate I guess. Maybe they have trouble finding helpful, friendly staff?

Room Tip: Ask to be away from the dorm rooms at the hotel unless you enjoy staying at a dorm.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank lj9972016
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2012

I stayed here while attending a conference at UCONN. My stay was pleasant and my room was very clean. Although not overly friendly, the staff was helpful. I ate at both restaurants and the food was decent and came out quickly. The service for breakfast was sometimes slow to get started as you would sit in the dining room alone until someone from the back noticed a customer had walked in. Once I was acknowledged the service was fine. When I checked in, the first room I was given smelled like dirty feet and mold. My asthma acted up at once so I went back to the front desk and they pleasantly and quickly switched my room. I had no odor or cleanliness issues in the 2nd room. The bed was very comfortable.

• Stayed July 2012
Doha, Qatar
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

Stayed here while attending conference at UCONN. Convenient, one thing that surprised me was the additional 50 USD charge per day for incidentals that they reimburse when u checkout! Would have like to have known that ahead of time when booked!

• Stayed July 2012
Medford, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2012

I just spent last weekend in this hotel. Mostly everything was fine except a few things:
My partner and I were getting ready for the wedding, so we had the "no disturb" sign. We read that even with it, at 1pm the hotel wanted you out of the room since they wanted to clean the rooms every day. We had to rush out and were out of the room by 1pm and had to wait for a few hours in the bar downstairs, which was perfectly fine for us if in exchange we could get the room cleaned, new towels, etc... when we came back from the wedding that night, the room was exactly as we had left it... disappointing
The second thing was the service at the bar on the Sunday morning. The girl working there was not very nice and it seemed that I was bothering her by asking thinks like a coffee or fork and knife to eat my lunch... she was much nicer to a group of older people that while I was trying to watch a game in one of the TV managed to get the remote control and disconnect it for a good while... she wasn't that pleased that I asked her if I could continue watching it...
I was also charged twice for the coffee (only realized on my way back home).
I also think that the price after tax (150$) per night (with wedding discount) is well over what the hotel offers.
I will hardly come back there unless it was absolutely necessary.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Fausto C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Storrs
Hampton Inn & Suites Hartford-Manchester
Residence Inn Hartford Manchester
Baymont Inn & Suites Manchester - Hartford CT
Red Roof Inn Hartford - Vernon
Courtyard Hartford Manchester
Fairfield Inn & Suites Hartford Manchester

Been to Nathan Hale Inn and Conference Center? Share your experiences!