“Sensational views”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Groton Long Point, Connecticut
“Sensational views”
Reviewed August 18, 2014

Gotta go in the evening as the sun sets. And get a table next to the railing outside on the deck.

The views are breathtaking, and added so much to the ambiance.

The waitress came over and we ordered beers and a male waitor. Another girl (the manager?) came over and inquired why we wanted a male waitor. We preferred a male waitor. So that was that.

For an appetizer we ordered (if you can read the Menu - the print is so faint and small...) a clam dip that came with crackers for 10$. eh...

For dinner we had the Seared Scallops. Four huge scallops came out with spinach and 6-8 cubes of fried potatoes - barely covering the plate. I paid 27$ for THIS?

I didn't think there would be enough, but the scallops were seared to perfection, but it wasn't easy eating in the dark on the deck.

Plenty of waitstaff. We had one seat us, another bring the water, the male waitor serve us, and another male waitor (much cuter) serve our dinners.

Would be go again?

Naw. Too pricey. We didn't even get a bill. Just the credit card receipt to fill out so we had no itemized list of what we had or how much the beers were. My half was 40.33$, making the draft beers we had 6$ each...

damn...

But they have the location. Good for a one-time visit - unless you won the lottery...

Middleton, Massachusetts
“Salt salt and more salt”
Reviewed August 17, 2014

We were very disappointed in Swooner. My husband and I stay at the Inn at Stonington.The Inn made reservations for us at 7:00 on a Monday eve. We had to wait 15 minutes once we got there, and there were empty tables all around. The wait staff seemed confused and disorganized. A very long wait to be served...drinks were ordered and finally came after we already had finished our salads. Entrees were ok, swordfish/ scallops. A word of warning everything is salted and salted. Even the sweet butter came with course grain salt sprinkled all over it. A plus is the lovely water location.. Many options out there, try someplace different until they get their act together. PS. Over priced!!!!

3 Thank KatieScarlet17
Windsor, CT
“Nee Skippers Dock”
Reviewed August 17, 2014

Same-o same-o as far as I could tell.

Great location same as before.

The name is changed, but everything else looks pretty much the same.

Visited August 2014
Groton, Connecticut
“Had to give it a try for lunch....”
Reviewed August 14, 2014

My wife's cousins were in town and since it was a beautiful weekday we decided to try Swooners for lunch.

I grew up in Stonington and remember all the incarnations of this building going back to "Sandy's Lobster in the Rough" and before that it was a tar paper shack were the local fishing fleet stored gear. It was called Bindloss's Dock then and it was where my Grandfather fished out of.

Walking into the place I loved how the place was renovated. It needed it - much brighter inside, new bar, new layout and the new docks also looked great. We were seated promptly at an outside table and our waitress soon took our drink orders. My wife ordered Confit Chicken Salad $15- she liked it.. One cousin got the Fish and Chips $16 - she thought it was just average F&C which I tasted and had to agree. The other cousin and myself both ordered a bowl of RI Clam Chowder $8. We agreed that it didn't even deserve an average score. Besides not even tasting like a RI Clam Chowder there were only two small pieces of clams in mine. Loads of potatoes and onions some salt pork and barely any clams in either bowl.

$16 fish and chip, $15 Chicken Salad and $8 Clamless Chowder - We all expected something better. I get the fact that the great view and renovations have to be paid for but I won't be chipping in again. I really wanted to like the place and I do hope they improve but it's like what I'm hearing from friends and family - too expensive for just average food.

• Visited July 2014
5 Thank Al C
ct
“Dissapointed”
Reviewed August 13, 2014

This restaurant is new and the one before it was Skippers Dock. They really spruced up the place....new tables, new staff new name, new management, new menu... My husband had the special of Tuna on potatoe salad I had the fish and chips. I asked prior to ordering how many pieces of fish were on the plate. She said two...I got one. My husbands tuna was cooked correctly it just arrived barely warm. Ordered a bloody mary that was more ice than "Mary", my Gin and tonic was fine. The warm bread and butter where really delicious. My fish was hot and delicious. Oh Yes, we had the fired squid...small but tasty. We looked at the menu for desserts but passed for a couple of reasons. We were full and the price was high. We sat outside under the canopy and had a nice view of the harbor. Our waitress was efficient but unsure of herself and knowing fully a few items on the menu. All said and done, we would not go back. Beautiful view however.

2 Thank parmalat