“Fantastic dinner”

Water Street Cafe
Ranked #5 of 27 Restaurants in Stonington
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Stamford, Connecticut
“Fantastic dinner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2012

Such a cute dinner spot in the adorable town of Stonington. We ate here based on the recommendation of our hotel. The ambiance was really nice and the staff were very friendly, particularly the sweet hostess. Food was fantastic! We enjoyed the clam chowder, oysters, Tuna and Clam pasta. Finished our meal with a wonderful bread pudding!

Visited December 2012
2 Thank Jendjarvis

United Kingdom
“Great recommendation”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012

This little restaurant was a great recommendation by one of the staff at the Inn at Stonington who uses it every day since her kitchen burnt down! We had a great meal, wine and good service.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank manytravels_11
Groton, Connecticut
“top stonington ct restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012

this is a consistent regional winner of repeat business from devotees of fine food if you cannot get in go to Noahs.

1 Thank Janet S
Roxbury, Connecticut
“Consistently good, with reasonable prices............”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012

Stonington's Water Street Cafe offers consistently good food at reasonable prices. I have been coming for years, and if anything the restaurant has improved over time. It has evolved, offering now a menu with daily specials that include drinks - I enjoyed the seasonal pumpkin ale! - raw bar offerings of the day, several hot entrees and a dessert special. The regular menu offers some of the cafe's golden oldies: a superb bowl of chili with sour cream and melted cheese, and a tuna tartare. One of my favorites - the sweet and sour rack of ribs - has been replaced by sweet and sour brisket served on peanut noodles. Delicious. The ribs will be back, I was told, when the price of pork comes back to earth. Service is friendly, but the kitchen is small and there can be delays. Due to the restaurant's popularity and its no reservations policy, Water Street Cafe can become very crowded at peak times, with a wait for tables. Arriving early or later in the evening may be necessary.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank Worldtraveler06783
Lyme, Connecticut
“My favorite place for dinner...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

I have been going to the Water Street Cafe for about 25 years. The atmosphere is warm and welcoming and even if we don't know a soul in the place, it always feels like we're meeting up with friends. The food was very good as usual --- yes, the tuna is the best but don't be like my husband and ONLY get the tuna. There are other dishes that are wonderful. I like the hanger steak and they do something with their chicken that is wonderful. I also like some of their fish/asian dishes that will often come in a bowl with miso broth and noodles, etc. Having said all those wonderful things, and in the interest of full disclosure, I was a little disappointed when we went a couple of weeks ago -- for my birthday no less. It must have been a very off night. Our waitress (I think she was new) was nice but she confused my husbands question about a dish with what he actually ordered. The kitchen was also a bit slow to get our dinner to us.... I guess the party of 16 that gathered in the back monopolized their time. It must be difficult to coordinate dinner for 16 as well as other orders but...guess what....I don't care. The owner quickly made things right so I'm not dinging them for this mis-step. It is still my absolute favorite place to go .

• Visited October 2012