“top stonington ct restaurant”
Review of Water Street Cafe

Water Street Cafe
Ranked #6 of 28 Restaurants in Stonington
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery
Groton, Connecticut
“top stonington ct restaurant”
Reviewed November 19, 2012

this is a consistent regional winner of repeat business from devotees of fine food if you cannot get in go to Noahs.

1 Thank Janet S

Roxbury, Connecticut
“Consistently good, with reasonable prices............”
Reviewed November 17, 2012

Stonington's Water Street Cafe offers consistently good food at reasonable prices. I have been coming for years, and if anything the restaurant has improved over time. It has evolved, offering now a menu with daily specials that include drinks - I enjoyed the seasonal pumpkin ale! - raw bar offerings of the day, several hot entrees and a dessert special. The regular menu offers some of the cafe's golden oldies: a superb bowl of chili with sour cream and melted cheese, and a tuna tartare. One of my favorites - the sweet and sour rack of ribs - has been replaced by sweet and sour brisket served on peanut noodles. Delicious. The ribs will be back, I was told, when the price of pork comes back to earth. Service is friendly, but the kitchen is small and there can be delays. Due to the restaurant's popularity and its no reservations policy, Water Street Cafe can become very crowded at peak times, with a wait for tables. Arriving early or later in the evening may be necessary.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank Worldtraveler06783
Lyme, Connecticut
“My favorite place for dinner...”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I have been going to the Water Street Cafe for about 25 years. The atmosphere is warm and welcoming and even if we don't know a soul in the place, it always feels like we're meeting up with friends. The food was very good as usual --- yes, the tuna is the best but don't be like my husband and ONLY get the tuna. There are other dishes that are wonderful. I like the hanger steak and they do something with their chicken that is wonderful. I also like some of their fish/asian dishes that will often come in a bowl with miso broth and noodles, etc. Having said all those wonderful things, and in the interest of full disclosure, I was a little disappointed when we went a couple of weeks ago -- for my birthday no less. It must have been a very off night. Our waitress (I think she was new) was nice but she confused my husbands question about a dish with what he actually ordered. The kitchen was also a bit slow to get our dinner to us.... I guess the party of 16 that gathered in the back monopolized their time. It must be difficult to coordinate dinner for 16 as well as other orders but...guess what....I don't care. The owner quickly made things right so I'm not dinging them for this mis-step. It is still my absolute favorite place to go .

1 Thank joyce c
Bourne, Massachusetts
“Exceptional Tuna”
Reviewed October 23, 2012

I went with my significant other to the Water Street Cafe for the first time on Saturday, October 20th. I had the "Seared" "rare " Yellowfin Tuna, with wasabi dipping sauce. It was the best tuna i have ever had. The tuna was served on a bed of rice, topped with shaved cucumber and othee vegetables that i am not sure what they were. It didn't matter the combination of textures and taste was excellent. My companion had a cod special that he also enjoyed. It was very busy witha lot of regulars. I would love to go there again.

1 Thank Gail B
Pasadena MD
“Real disappointment”
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Having read several reviews about this cafe my wife and I decided to try it for dinner. We were very disappointed. The menu was rather limited but expected. The meals we selected seemed to take forever to come to our table as we watched others receive their food having ordered well after we did. Our server was not attentive at all. Several times we had to find another server and ask them to find our server. It seems he was preoccupied waiting on a table of eight plus persons. When he did come to our table, he was very short with us, acting as though we were interrupting him. Our food, when we finally were served, was very bland to the point of being tastless. Because the resturant was packed, the only table available was next to the entrance door which meant everytime someone came in, we were treated to a blast of damp cold air. While waiting for our table we were directed to the "oyster Bar" at the back of the resturant. In retrospect, after seeing the disorganized and borderline dirty area they call the "oyster bar", we should have left and found another restaurant. If you wanted something to drink while you were waiting for a table, you had to go to the actual bar and wait for the bartender to notice you. Even trying to get a beer turned out to be disappointing as they were out of several of the local drafts. All in all the experience was very dissatisfying.